PDA

View Full Version : This Is Not Good News

writingrav
October 22nd, 2013, 08:31 PM
New Zealand Approves 3 Days a Week Mail Service

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/10/22/world/asia/ap-as-new-zealand-postal-service.html?hp&_r=0

Bogon07
October 22nd, 2013, 09:51 PM
Even more ominous is this line

"He said that a move to three-day delivery would be accompanied by a new service under which customers could get their letters couriered six days a week for a premium."

Australia Post has been doing 5 days a week for decades and the local postie seems to not deliver anything one Friday a month.

earthdawn
October 22nd, 2013, 10:01 PM
WOW... I thought all the postal issues were here in the US ????

Man the mail is going be piling up on the off days.

Newjelan
October 25th, 2013, 01:02 AM
But at least those in rural areas will still get 5 days/week in NZ. Is Queenstown considered rural?

manoeuver
October 25th, 2013, 08:06 AM
I wish US post would cut back to 3 or fewer days/ week.
As it is they deposit mostly garbage through the slot.

writingrav
October 25th, 2013, 10:00 AM
I wish US post would cut back to 3 or fewer days/ week.
As it is they deposit mostly garbage through the slot.

Well, rarely does a day go by that I don't get personal letters and send personal letters, so my life would be significantly diminished by severe postal cutbacks.

manoeuver
October 25th, 2013, 11:47 AM
You're fortunate!
You'd get twice as many letters each delivery though.

ndw76
October 25th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Over here they deliver when ever the postie wants to get paid. Raining today, no mail. Had a late night, no mail. Got enough money to keep me drunk for a few more days, no mail.

kaisnowbird
October 26th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Bummer!! So sorry for the kiwis. :cry:

The totalitarian China has 7-days-a-week postal service. Additionally, the post offices offer personal banking services at the same interest rates as the major banks. The convenience is that there are more post office branches than any one bank group branches around the country. Of course, their pitiful service combined with Chinese Custom's total inefficiency and ridiculous taxes render much of this meaningless.

Bogon07
January 22nd, 2014, 03:20 AM
Kai there could be sorry news here soon-
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-21/australia-post-survey-sparks-concern/5211092

"In its annual online survey, Australia Post asked customers if they would prefer to have their post delivered three times a week, or pay an annual $30 fee for daily delivery." - I understand these were the only choices offered.

In a statement, Australia Post said the survey was in no way an indication of what may or may not be implemented in the future."We recognise our customers' needs are changing, and every year we ask customers about service preference through surveys," it said.
"We understand how important it is to give the community a say on the services of Australia Post."
Australia Post, which delivers more than 93 million items every week, is losing millions of dollars every year on its traditional mail business.
However, those losses are offset by the continual growth in other areas, such as parcel delivery.

kaisnowbird
January 22nd, 2014, 08:25 AM
I just heard. :rant:

- "How would you respond to customers' complaints on poor and unreliable services?"
- "By cutting down on those services, of course."

Don't they realise that once they cut down on mail delivery, their profitable parcel business will suffer too! One is part and parcel of the other.

Bogon07
January 22nd, 2014, 04:48 PM
I just heard. :rant:

- "How would you respond to customers' complaints on poor and unreliable services?"
- "By cutting down on those services, of course."

Don't they realise that once they cut down on mail delivery, their profitable parcel business will suffer too! One is part and parcel of the other.

The postie drops off small parcels along with the mail......so are they going to delivery them from the post parcel vans instead.

I think the long term plan will be to dump postal services completely and become bill payment centres and sell books, DVDs, printer cartridges, camera cards etc.

ndw76
January 22nd, 2014, 05:41 PM
If the Aussie post wants to save money they need to copy the Thai post. No delivery on a rainy day, never deliver two days in a row, never deliver if the next day or the previous day is a public holiday, and never deliver in the morning so a person can send a reply the same day.

Bogon07
January 22nd, 2014, 09:13 PM
If the Aussie post wants to save money they need to copy the Thai post. No delivery on a rainy day, never deliver two days in a row, never deliver if the next day or the previous day is a public holiday, and never deliver in the morning so a person can send a reply the same day.
Sssshhhh don't give them any more ideas.
If they want to provide a decent service AustPO should copy the Singapore Post.

Bogon07
January 29th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Yet another story about increasing the cost of stamps by Oz Post.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-30/australia-post-to-increase-price-of-stamps/5226882

The cost of postage stamps is to increase by 10 cents if a move by Australia Post is approved.The postal service is expected to lodge a formal request for the price rise with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission tomorrow.
If given the go ahead, the price of a standard stamp will rise from to 70 cents from the end of March.
But in an attempt to ease the impact on low income earners, Australia Post will propose freezing the cost of stamps for concession card holders until 2017.
In a recent submission to a Senate inquiry, Australia Post said the rapid decline in letter volumes has meant its letter business had lost more than $400 million in the past three years.
It argued a 10 cent increase would simply reduce the size of the loss.
The corporation recently came under fire from welfare groups over suggestions it might charge a fee for daily mail delivery.
In its annual online survey, Australia Post asked customers if they would prefer to have their post delivered three times a week, or pay an annual $30 fee for daily delivery.
In a statement, Australia Post said the survey was in no way an indication of what may or may not be implemented in the future.

kaisnowbird
January 30th, 2014, 06:01 PM
:rant: :mad: :mad2: