PDA

View Full Version : Notebook Strategies

heath
October 23rd, 2013, 06:47 PM
I posted this on my blog but thought I'd potentially get more feedback here. If you want to see all the images and see the post on my blog click here. (http://penpaperinkletter.com/notebook-strategies/)

I’ve been in this community long enough to know I am not alone. Us pen and paper folks aren’t generally one notebook people. I have quite a few but imagine I’ll be getting even more in the future. This post is both my ponderings on the idea of a notebook use strategy as well as an open call to find out what yours are. If you have a particular strategy or way you use your notebooks please share!

My notebook strategies may be quite boring so if you just want to share yours skip to the comments. Think you might be interested? Here’s a look into the mind of the man behind PPIL.

I have on average 7 notebooks I am using at any given time.

Since the middle of August my primary notebook has been a TWSBI medium grid. I chose that notebook because it is relatively fountain pen friendly and as my primary notebook I knew I would be writing in it with a wide variety of pens. I also chose the grid version because I am using the bullet journaling method and a grid seems to work best.

My second notebook is the one that is always in my pocket. I have a Big Skinny leather passport wallet that holds a Scout Books pocket notebook. It’s my on the fly jotting notebook. If I go in a store I can take notes or ideas, create small list, etc. without having to bring in my primary notebook. It too is relatively fountain pen friendly. Anything that is of importance that goes into this notebook eventually gets copied into my main notebook.

I also have a Moleskine Folio A4 Notebook that is used for brainstorming or business ideas that need a bigger canvas when I am using fine point fountain pens or ball/gel pens. It doesn’t take a wet fountain pen well but I have used it for taking notes for a while and there are just some times this large size (slightly larger than a standard sheet of 8.5×11″ paper) works well. I used it for Greek vocabulary and writing practice so I could get a lot of information on a spread as I needed to reference some of it as I wrote more of it. This notebook usually goes where ever my laptop bag goes. If I leave my bag at the office as I often do it stays there too.

When I got the TWSBI medium grid notebook for bullet journaling I went ahead and picked up a large blank TWSBI notebook. It isn’t as big as the Moleskine A4 but there are times I just love the blank fountain pen friendly pages. I thought it was going to be exclusively for calligraphy practice at first but it basically gets used whenever I want a larger canvas for my fountain pens that isn’t loose leaf.

An actual journal. I like to write stories but I’m not great at it. I want to keep a regular journal but so far I have been horrible at it. After a review of some scout pocket notebooks I did on my personal blog Scout Books sent me some more to try out including a few Mega notebooks. They are slightly wider than my main TWSBI but short enough I can slip it into my bullet journal and be held in by the elastic strap. I have a few dated pages where I have attempted to record my thoughts and a few weeks of sermon notes from church in it. My hope is that by carrying it with me nearly all the time I will record my thoughts more often as I get a break here and there. The primary problem is that a father of a newborn, a 1 year old and a three year old who is runs his own business and is at the whim of his clients just doesn’t get all that much down time. I value reading over writing and I make time to read books that are important to me. I hope to start making more time for writing before long as well.

My quotebook. As I just mentioned I’m not great at writing down what I’m thinking but one thing I have found helpful to me is writing down what other people have said. I’ll write out verses or quotes from Spurgeon sermons. I’ll write out quotes from books I am reading or quotes I see online. It helps me record them to memory and it is a great chance to use different fountain pens. I’ll usually take any part of a quote that seems to really punch and write it with a Pilot Parallel or my Safari with a 1.9mm nib. I’ll use multiple pens with multiple inks to make writing them out more interesting and will sometimes try a new script out in here. Like I've already said I don’t have loads of extra time so calligraphy practice isn’t usually on the top of my list but this notebook incorporates that with something I am already doing. This notebook is probably the most important to second most important to me behind my primary notebook.

Ink Journal. I am currently using a Large Moleskine grid notebook for this but it has become obvious it isn’t up for the challenge. I’d like to find something that can handle a wet dip pen as that’s what I use for ink samples I want to see on paper but don’t want to ink another pen with. Starting from the front each ink gets a full page writing and ink sample. If I have it in two very different pens setups like a broad and and extra fine I’ll sometimes do this part twice. From the back of the notebook I give each ink three lines for some basic info and a patch of ink for easier comparison between many different inks.

I get that seven notebooks sounds like a lot but each has its own purpose. I have flirted with moving to a few more but keep coming back to this strategy.

I have several others that I wouldn't say are in my regular rotation but that I use from time to time. I have a cheap store brand small yellow pad that is always on my desk in case I have to get something on paper in a hurry while I’m on the phone. I have a Calligraphy Notebook that I use sporadically. I have a 2013 Moleskine pocket planner that I was using before I started the bullet method that I have to go back and reference from time to time. I also have a handful of others that always seem to be around. I’ll grab them from time to time when I feel like a change.

I can’t wait to hear how you all use your notebooks!

- Heath

Sailor Kenshin
October 24th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Fascinating, Captain, lol...I enjoyed this.

I'm trying to think of how many I have.

A 'regular' journal which is usually just a comp notebook.

A Field Notes log book for fp and ink trades, sales, etc.

A 'religion' journal...I've gone through many, and the actual notebook changes every time, from spiral to Field Notes to small hardcover journal with India paper.

An ink and pen test log book, currently a medium Clairefontaine with gridded paper.

A Quotes journal. One of many smallish hardcover bound journals of different sizes from my mother.

A daily task list...whatever cheapo spiral notebook that's on hand.

And whatever various notebook or sheets I'm writing my current story/chapter in...

How many's that? I was absent the day they taught counting. ;)

tandaina
October 24th, 2013, 10:45 AM
That many notebooks makes me anxious!!!!

I have an ink journal notebook that sits in the bookshelf but I always forget to use it. So it almost doesn't count.

I have a Midori notebook that is used for work, and any lists, notes, etc that come up. And one journal that I use for well, journaling. ;) Currently a TWSBI journal but I don't like the paper, it doesn't hold up to my flex nibs so I'll go back to something else in the future when this one is full. That's it.

VertOlive
October 24th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Until I came here, I used cheapo dollar store spiral bound notebooks for journalling and that same small yellow pad that's sitting on Heath's desk for grocery and to-do lists. I gave up using the one fountain pen I had because of bleed-through on the journal pages. [Guess why]. Small, top bound spiral notebooks give me hives, so none of those.

I am now the owner of a Rodia notebook [9-ish by 11-ish?] for my journal and can write with my fountain pen in any color ink I choose with gay abandon--what a revelation!

Since I'm still at the stage where I'm sitting here with my first 4 samples of ink-ever-I want to start off with an Ink Journal too. Before I wander off and get more samples and forget what I tried first.

So--no go on the Moleskine grid notebook.

Maybe on a Clairefontaine grid.

Any other suggestions?

Waski_the_Squirrel
October 24th, 2013, 09:56 PM
I try to stay simple, but....

One notebook for the novel I'm working on. Since this takes several notebooks, it will end up as a stack.

One idea notebook. I'm focused on the novel, but things drift into my brain for future novels and must be written before they're lost.

A notebook for brainstorming the next novel: if I need a break from the current novel, it's fun to think about the next one.

A notebook for what I'm learning. I'm currently learning Chinese. Without a notebook...yipe!

I have a binder that is forming the "bible" of my science fiction universe for my novels. It contains characters, planets, companies, maps, technologies, and the like.

I'm not picky about brand or type, except I prefer glue and stitching over spiral bound or rings. Also, it should work with my pens. Here is the novel I'm currently editing in its many different notebooks:

http://squirrelscience.smugmug.com/2012-2013-Public/Local-Events/Crazy-Pen-Pix/i-hthvcvZ/0/L/IMG_6052-L.jpg (http://squirrelscience.smugmug.com/2012-2013-Public/Local-Events/Crazy-Pen-Pix/i-hthvcvZ/A)

Newjelan
October 25th, 2013, 01:19 AM
This got me thinking...

I have a notebook for work - either A4 or B5 (because I like variety) and preferably dots but lines will do. I take all my meeting notes in it, write my work To Do List, do my thinking and planning.

I have a (wonderful) Tomoe River Notebook for a daily "journal"/ summary (have just started this because I wanted an excuse to buy 1 or 3).

I have an A5 note book (usually Leuchtturm or Behance - dots) for writing any rubbish that comes into my head when I'm eating or reading.

I also have a B5 size Paper Blanks Journal for Business thoughts as well as ideas for articles.

Finally, I have a pocket sized Rhodia a pad in the car for writing down things I need to do or remember when I'm in the car (eg buy petrol, go to the Post Office etc)

Pommel
October 25th, 2013, 06:02 AM
I have a notebook (A4) for work, and another one at home that I use as a journal (A5). Currently, both are Sigel notebooks. They have replaced Leuchtturm1917 as my favorite supplier.

Sailor Kenshin
October 25th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Waski's post reminds me that I have several more notebooks at play. The Story Bible, of course. It's an old schoolkids' agenda inside a Mead case. One half-filled comp notebook with scribbled short stories. One Field Notes size book from Mead with, oh, just random stuff. One from China donated by someone who used to send me pens for review, which I now use for oh, more random stuff. And a Field Notes full of innerwebs and computer tricks.

And probably more I'm forgetting. But th above don't get as much use as those I listed before. I should take some pics.

Sailor Kenshin
October 25th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Until I came here, I used cheapo dollar store spiral bound notebooks for journalling and that same small yellow pad that's sitting on Heath's desk for grocery and to-do lists. I gave up using the one fountain pen I had because of bleed-through on the journal pages. [Guess why]. Small, top bound spiral notebooks give me hives, so none of those.

I am now the owner of a Rodia notebook [9-ish by 11-ish?] for my journal and can write with my fountain pen in any color ink I choose with gay abandon--what a revelation!

Since I'm still at the stage where I'm sitting here with my first 4 samples of ink-ever-I want to start off with an Ink Journal too. Before I wander off and get more samples and forget what I tried first.

So--no go on the Moleskine grid notebook.

Maybe on a Clairefontaine grid.

Any other suggestions?

Yes...almost forgot. A lot depends on your favorite binding style but...

Arc disk notebooks have pretty decent paper and are flexible about adding and subtracting sheets. They are from Staples.

Noah's Arc? (http://t.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/arc/index.html?t=yes)

Staples also used to offer spiral-bound Bagasse journals with very good paper, in full and half sizes. Those would make good ink journals too.

As for the disc notebooks, Levenger Circa came first, and is a similar system with slightly better paper, also offered with Rhodia paper.

Maybe you'd get the smallest size available of each, to compare? Even the small one would make a decent ink journal, especially if you don't yet suffer from the Too Many Inks Syndrome, for which there is no cure.

da vinci
October 25th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Interesting thread :)

I have a Rhodia a5 ruled notebook that i write in with each new pen I buy to test the nib etc.

I have 2 Asda (owned by Walmart based in uk) executive a5 grided notebooks, one for personal one for business general jottings.

I have an a5 and an a4 staples arc, both fitted with extension discs and filled with various templates that i print on 100gsm paper also from Staples. I just cannot make up my mind if the convenience of the a4 size outweighs the inconvenience of lugging it around in my briefcase!

I own other notebooks, particularly a Midouri TN, which looks lovely, but I don't know what to use it for!

As a p.s. if anyone knows of a long thin ( I am thinking something like 4 inches by 2.5 inches) spiral bound notebook (spiral on the short edge) of high quality please do let me know! Thanks.

AndyT
October 25th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I have 2 Asda (owned by Walmart based in uk) executive a5 grided notebooks, one for personal one for business general jottings.

How do you like them? I have one on the go at the moment, and it's not standing up well to wet writing.

kaisnowbird
October 26th, 2013, 01:20 AM
Thank you all for the inspiration. I've started a bullet journal today.
I was thinking about buying a new notebook for it, but my wife screamed objection :blink: and told me that she has a stack of those lying around with only a few pages used in each of them. What a waste!
I promptly went through her shelves, took over the best looking one she has, stapled the first 5 sheets together and started afresh. Haha! :haha:

da vinci
October 26th, 2013, 01:28 AM

How do you like them? I have one on the go at the moment, and it's not standing up well to wet writing.

I am surprised as mine are excellent quality and stand any kind of use. I know there are different kinds, these are the hardback black leatherette covered ones. I should caveat my comment by saying both of mine were bought over 12 months ago when i stocked up. I wonder if maybe there has benn a paper change?

AndyT
October 26th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the reply da vinci. I stocked up too, can't remember when but definitely at least a year ago, inspired by this review (http://future-nostalgic.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/review-asda-executive-notebook.html).

It's strange. The book I'm using at the moment held up brilliantly to everything thrown at it - vintage flex included - until I hit the second signature. All of a sudden there was bleed through everywhere except with the driest pens or iron gall inks. Not particularly happy about that! All the same, at the price it would be churlish to complain too vociferously - I've adjusted my pen and ink strategy to suit.

Senecabud
October 26th, 2013, 10:13 AM
I have several in use--around the house and in my handbag, as well as always having one in my back pocket.

I use the following in A5 and/or pocket size:
Moleskine (squared preferably, or lined)
Leuchtturm1917 (dot grid)
Field Notes (grid)
Black N Red (spiral and book-bound) - just wish the lines were narrower.

I prefer dot-grid when I can get it, and I use my fountain (italic nibs and flex) with all of them, occasionally with pencil (Blackwings are my favorite).

I didn't know about Arc disk notebooks, but I think I'll try one next time I'm at Staples. I doubt, though, that no matter how well I organize it, I can't get by using only one notebook at a time. I have some dedicated to journaling and some for use at church seminars and Bible study and some just for random scriblings and one for trying the Bullet Journaling method (jury is still out on that one).

manoeuver
October 28th, 2013, 08:51 AM
I use seven notebooks currently.

Clockwise from top left:
Kokuyo Campus notebook. Notes I take on stuff I read. I've found taking notes easily doubles the value of the time I spend reading.
Small Rhodia Spiral Gris notebook. 3 things Journal- Before bed I list 3 things that went well that day, and why. This helps me figure out how come my life is so awesome.
Blank Drawing Notebook: brainstorms.
Sustainable Earth Bagasse 8.5x11 notebook. Ongoing master to-do list as per Mark Forster's Autofocus system. (http://markforster.squarespace.com/)
Clairfontaine grid notebook: daily journal
Spiral Bound Index Cards: Daily to Dos
Ring Bound Index Cards: Concept and idea capture Index cards. A fantastic tool! learn about this in A Technique for Producing Ideas (http://www.amazon.com/Technique-Producing-Advertising-Classics-ebook/dp/B001C34HUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382971766&sr=8-1&keywords=technique+for+producing+ideas)

and that's my halloween mask, encrusted w/ googley eyes!

countrydirt
October 28th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I'm going in a different direction and trying to get down to 1 notebook devoted to everything but journaling. However, at the moment I have a Kokoyu Buncobon for a bullet journal, a Field Notes for on the go notes, a CF Life Unplugged for a mail log and a Habana for my journal. I don't keep an ink log.
My goal is to get to the buncobon as my primary notebook, including mail log, and to the Habana for extended journal writing.

Sailor Kenshin
October 30th, 2013, 08:30 AM
No matter how nice the paper, I,ve decided I don't really do well with anything spiral-bound, so I tend to use those up for throwaway scribbles, like to-do lists.

esqx
October 30th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Fascinating indeed. I find myself evolving toward a similar strategy. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

da vinci
October 31st, 2013, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the reply da vinci. I stocked up too, can't remember when but definitely at least a year ago, inspired by this review (http://future-nostalgic.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/review-asda-executive-notebook.html).

It's strange. The book I'm using at the moment held up brilliantly to everything thrown at it - vintage flex included - until I hit the second signature. All of a sudden there was bleed through everywhere except with the driest pens or iron gall inks. Not particularly happy about that! All the same, at the price it would be churlish to complain too vociferously - I've adjusted my pen and ink strategy to suit.

With apologies for the off topic post, i bought an A6 version yesterday to start a bullet journal. With an mb144 BB nib it is awful. Lots of show through and feathering. It must be a paper change as it performs radically differently to my a5 ( older) versions.

pencils+pens
October 31st, 2013, 07:42 PM
I have a bunch of journals/notebooks and they are all composition books with one exception. Most of the books are college ruled but I will buy regular ruling if the price is right (0.50). Most of the books are Brazilian manufacture. Some are from other places, these were bought to test out the various places of manufacture.

The uses:

Random Thoughts - this is my general journal. If I want to write something down and it has nowhere else to go, it goes here.

Tales From the Office - this is used to record client and co-worker foibles, which may turn into a book or short stories some day. Since there are strict client confidentiality rules in my profession, I have to make up interesting names for my clients when I record their stories in the journal.

My Grammar Book - in preparation for writing, I decided to re-study grammar. This is the notebook for that.

My Book About Writing - this is where I record notes about writing itself. Most of this is notes from books about writing I have read. There isn't always a clear line between what goes in here and what goes in the grammar book.

Commonplace Book - for quotes. I don't use it as much as I thought I would.

Guitar Book - I recently started to learn to play the guitar. This records that journey.

Harmonica Book - along with learning to play guitar, I decided to dust off some harmonicas I had and learn them also. Although the journey's are similar, they are also different enough that I record my progress for each instrument in a different book. This and the Guitar Book are the only ones written with a mechanical pencil (usually 0.7 or 0.9mm). The others are all written in with a fountain pen.

Piano Book - this one is started yet. My guitar teacher suggested we learn a bit about scales and such on the piano. My wife is teaching me simple scales on our baby grand piano. In January I will sign up for an adult ed class in piano keyboarding and so another musical journey and journal will need to be started.

Ink Journal Composition Book - for testing pen/ink combinations in my standard notebook.

Ink Journal Rhodia - Lined, 80g/m2, 21.2 lb. This is my only "decent" paper. I use it to test pen/ink combinations. If I ever need to write a letter, which I haven't done in over 30 years, I would use this pad.

Index cards - I am a prolific note taker on index cards and business cards. Since most of these are not fountain pen friendly I writer my notes in either the dreaded and Infamous Ball Point Pen or mechanical pencil. If the notes are needed long term, they get transcribed into one of the bigger notebooks.

I have various and sundry small shirt pocket notebooks I use for writing notes on the run, especially if the index cards or business cards are not handy. I didn't buy any of these, they just seem to materialize out of nowhere. Maybe one day I will have to buy some.

KrazyIvan
November 1st, 2013, 10:58 AM
I keep several notebooks too.

I have to keep my work notes separate from everything else as I would not want to have to turn in my notebook with personal information in it. I keep a notebook for my church studies. A separate studies notebook for school. I have a personal journal. I also keep a notebook for handwritten forum posts. There is my review notes notebook and finally my notebook for the actual reviews that get published on my blog. More of a pad really. Rhodia Dotpad to be exact.

caribbean_skye
November 1st, 2013, 03:18 PM
Somehow after reading this post I don't think I own enough journals. :D

I use a BanditApple Carnet Handy Notebook (Graph Paper) for my Bullet Journal where most things are notated.

Then I have 2 Clairefontaine 1951 notebooks (5.875 x 8.25) both of which are lined. The first is for anything pen or ink related. I test out new pens/nibs/inks here. I took this with me to the pen show in Dallas and so there is a section that shows all of the writing samples with the F-C tester pens, along with any pens I tested at the show (I usually write about the pen and the ink with the pen for later memory recall) along with the writing samples with inks I've bought or inks mixes I'm testing out.

The second notebook is reserved for when I'm traveling for making notes about the book I'm currently reading. Sadly I need to use this more even when I'm home.

I'm considering starting a fourth notebook to keep track of all of the books I've read thus far. I have computer lists dating back as far as 2005 and a general list that encompasses anything prior to that that I've read.

heath
November 29th, 2013, 08:32 AM

One notebook for the novel I'm working on. Since this takes several notebooks, it will end up as a stack.

One idea notebook. I'm focused on the novel, but things drift into my brain for future novels and must be written before they're lost.

A notebook for brainstorming the next novel: if I need a break from the current novel, it's fun to think about the next one.

A notebook for what I'm learning. I'm currently learning Chinese. Without a notebook...yipe!

I have a binder that is forming the "bible" of my science fiction universe for my novels. It contains characters, planets, companies, maps, technologies, and the like.

I'm not picky about brand or type, except I prefer glue and stitching over spiral bound or rings. Also, it should work with my pens. Here is the novel I'm currently editing in its many different notebooks:

http://squirrelscience.smugmug.com/2012-2013-Public/Local-Events/Crazy-Pen-Pix/i-hthvcvZ/0/L/IMG_6052-L.jpg (http://squirrelscience.smugmug.com/2012-2013-Public/Local-Events/Crazy-Pen-Pix/i-hthvcvZ/A)

What is that folded out page in your Campus slide binder? Where did you get it?

Waski_the_Squirrel
November 29th, 2013, 08:58 AM

What is that folded out page in your Campus slide binder? Where did you get it?

It is Maruman Smooth to Write paper. I bought it at Jetpens.com, and it was really handy for making the outline of my novel. I needed 3 columns: one for each viewpoint character. Laid out like this I could match up events so that the 3 stories would interact and feed off each other.

Here is the link:

http://www.jetpens.com/Maruman-Smooth-to-Write-Loose-Leaf-Paper-Wide-Folded-B5-to-B4-6-mm-Rule-26-Holes-15-Sheets-Bundle-of-5/pd/6749

DrChumley
November 29th, 2013, 08:45 PM
My initial response was, oh, I only use two notebooks. But then I started doing a little mental inventory. WRONG!

* A Rhodia Webnotebook for my daily personal journal. I've used Leuchttrum1917 for this, but I couldn't write on both sides of the paper, so I switched back to Rhodia.
* An Apica Premium notebook for writing song lyrics. (I keep this one on my piano.)
* A clairefontaine basic black spiral bound notebook for my work journal. (Kept at the office.)
* Another Clairefontaine basic black spiral bound notebook for my writing exercises.
* I have some scattered Apica CD15s, floating around that I used to use for my work journals, but I switched to Clairefontaine when I found a local retailer that carried them.
* A large Clairefontaine cloth-bound notebook for the book I'm working on.
* A Picadilly notebook for my gardening journal. Although, Picadilly notebooks are not good for fountain pens, so I will probably switch to a Leuchttrum next spring when i start gardening again.

heath
November 29th, 2013, 09:16 PM
My initial response was, oh, I only use two notebooks. But then I started doing a little mental inventory. WRONG!

* A Rhodia Webnotebook for my daily personal journal. I've used Leuchttrum1917 for this, but I couldn't write on both sides of the paper, so I switched back to Rhodia.
* An Apica Premium notebook for writing song lyrics. (I keep this one on my piano.)
* A clairefontaine basic black spiral bound notebook for my work journal. (Kept at the office.)
* Another Clairefontaine basic black spiral bound notebook for my writing exercises.
* I have some scattered Apica CD15s, floating around that I used to use for my work journals, but I switched to Clairefontaine when I found a local retailer that carried them.
* A large Clairefontaine cloth-bound notebook for the book I'm working on.
* A Picadilly notebook for my gardening journal. Although, Picadilly notebooks are not good for fountain pens, so I will probably switch to a Leuchttrum next spring when i start gardening again.

I'd love to see how you keep your garden journal. Mine always has a lot of info in the beginning but I don't really know what to add throughout the season.

elderberry
November 30th, 2013, 01:12 AM
At first I wanted to say I'm not keeping a lot of notebooks, then I noticed that's probably not perfectly true. Here you go:

- a traditional journal for thoughts and experiences, written in daily to weekly.
- a 5 year diary which I bought last spring. One page for each day, separated into 5 sections for 5 different years, so not a lot of room for each day (and it's a rather small book too, about A6 size). Forces me to decide what's essential about the past day.
- a handmade A5 leather notebook with 3 inserts for my novel, stories and notes related to those.
- a handmade A5 leather notebook with 3 inserts for work stuff and random notes.
- a notebook with red spine and Florentine paper cover for incoming and outgoing correspondence: date, person, topics.

I also started an ink journal but then I decided index cards would be much more convenient as it's easier to compare or rearrange them as I go along.

PowerWriter
December 30th, 2013, 10:10 AM
I have never succeeded keeping more than one or two journals at once. I am out and about a lot, and when I found I needed a journal or two that were at home, I simply used one on hand and labelled the entry. Eventually labelling entries has overtaken separate journals.

I like Staples' sustainable earth paper, but I hate spiral binding. I would love to make my own journals with binding on the top.

My preferred paper is Domtar 30lb printer paper which I print lines on.

heath
January 5th, 2014, 08:51 AM
I have never succeeded keeping more than one or two journals at once. I am out and about a lot, and when I found I needed a journal or two that were at home, I simply used one on hand and labelled the entry. Eventually labelling entries has overtaken separate journals.

I like Staples' sustainable earth paper, but I hate spiral binding. I would love to make my own journals with binding on the top.

My preferred paper is Domtar 30lb printer paper which I print lines on.

Where do you buy Domtar?

Senecabud
January 5th, 2014, 09:49 AM
I've started a bullet journal today.

So how's the bullet journal going so far? I just started one yesterday for everything but my ink log as the only notebooks of mine which can handle heavy ink are too big to fit in my back pocket, and for the bullet journal to work for me, the notebook must be with me every waking moment. My pocket sized notebooks handle normal writing with fountain pen ink but not the intense swabbing or cross-hatching I use to log a new ink.

Sailor Kenshin
January 5th, 2014, 09:59 AM
I'd like to understand the bullet journal concept, but all the explanations seem so complicated.

79spitfire
January 5th, 2014, 10:29 AM
http://www.bulletjournal.com/

The concept makes sense, I'm going to try it, but it does seem that it can (like any journal) become cumbersome...

Mags
January 5th, 2014, 03:44 PM
The bullet journal requires some page flipping if like me you plan 60-90 days out and do some daily journal entries.

That said I am a new convert and will likely always bullet journal if not using a page per day calendar.

heath
January 5th, 2014, 04:49 PM
For me the Bullet Journal replaces daily to do list, planning pads, etc. but it is not a calendar system. If you need to schedule events three months out it can wreck the whole system. I use it as a running to do, week or month out pre-planner and large project workbook. It holds a lot of what I am thinking about so I don't forget it but it can't do everything.

Waski_the_Squirrel
January 5th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I really like the idea of the bullet journal, but one of the things I like to do is plan (as much as possible) months in advance. Currently, I'm using a Rhodia academic planner. I have one week's worth of dates on one side and a blank page on the other side. I've been bullet-journaling the blank page.

What I may try next year is a Midori with a small pocket calendar for planning a year off. I'm thinking this will allow me to consolidate several of the tools I use into one object.

Senecabud
January 6th, 2014, 10:55 AM
For me the Bullet Journal replaces daily to do list, planning pads, etc. but it is not a calendar system. If you need to schedule events three months out it can wreck the whole system. I use it as a running to do, week or month out pre-planner and large project workbook. It holds a lot of what I am thinking about so I don't forget it but it can't do everything.

Your use sounds like a winning strategy, all the positive features without the negative. For repeated events and distant events or tasks I rely on the calendar in my phone.

da vinci
January 6th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Interesting thread :)

I have a Rhodia a5 ruled notebook that i write in with each new pen I buy to test the nib etc.

I have an a5 and an a4 staples arc, both fitted with extension discs and filled with various templates that i print on 100gsm paper also from Staples. I just cannot make up my mind if the convenience of the a4 size outweighs the inconvenience of lugging it around in my briefcase!

I own other notebooks, particularly a Midouri TN, which looks lovely, but I don't know what to use it for!

As a p.s. if anyone knows of a long thin ( I am thinking something like 4 inches by 2.5 inches) spiral bound notebook (spiral on the short edge) of high quality please do let me know! Thanks.

Since my post I have added a banditapple carnet for additional pen testing and a Hobonichi planner :redface:

Dad Of Sapling
January 8th, 2014, 08:59 PM
I keep several notebooks as well.
On the personal side I have a journal that my wife got me this Christmas. It is very nice; leather bound, good paper, but is a full 1 1/2" thick and the pages don't lay flat so writing can be a challenge. Never the less I try and write in it every day. I also have a no-name hard cover notebook I picked up at a convention that I use as my ink journal. The paper is surprisingly good. Finally, my EDC is the medori traveler notebook in the passport size. I use that for odd notes, musings, or other ideas.

On the work side my main notebook is the ARC system from Staples. The paper is very good and I like the flexibility of it. It is used for my desk notes and misc meeting notes and to do lists. I have a new very large project starting and just ordered the Rhodia wire bound meeting book. I've been wanting to try Rhodia paper, and this is the perfect excuse.

So, I guess that's not too bad 5 notebooks to keep track of.

Annie
January 9th, 2014, 04:35 AM
I received a beautiful leather bound journal for Christmas and have recently got into bullet journal so I'm using just this one book.

Kaputnik
January 9th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Here's what I've got going now.

A daily journal. Right now it's an A5 size, pages roughly 5½ by 8¼, but I'm thinking that's a bit small. I plan another thread on that topic.
A log book that I use to make sure I've taken my medicines, done certain exercises, and record what I eat. At the moment I'm using a generic composition book, and the entries are as often done by rollerball as they are fountain pens.
A very small Moleskine that actually fits in my wallet, for when I don't have anything else to write on.
A slightly larger pocket notebook, right now a Rhodia 3 by 4 inch one, that I carry more often than not.
A "travel" journal, at the moment a bit over 4 x 6 I think, for when I want to keep a diary on the road. Again, a bit small for journaling.
A 3½ x 5½ Moleskine with regular lined paper but with alphabet tabs on the sides of the pages. It was a gift, and I think it was meant to be used as an address book. Instead, I'm using it as a personal dictionary. When I learn a new word, I write it down in the appropriate section with its definition.
Two separate notebooks that I'm using to write stories.
An employer provided top bound spiral notebook that's surprisingly good with fountain pens. I keep it at work, and use it strictly for job related notes.

I also had some fountain pen friendly legal and graph paper that I used strictly for pen testing, but I've run out now.

It does seem like rather a lot when I add it all up.

zzdia
January 18th, 2014, 04:42 AM
I love this thread! I've actually planning on writing a whole blog post on my 'notebook organization' as I call it. I love that people have a bunch of notebooks to, it makes me feel less like a crazy notebook user.

I've got a whole bunch of notebooks ongoing right now.

- my 5"x7.5" Alunsina leather journal as my main journal.

- A5 Starbucks planner for home use. I also do some mini journaling here at the end of the day when I'm not feeling up to writing an actual journal entry yet or if I know I'm not going to journal about it.

- A5 Muji lines notebook for quotes

- B5 Muji blank notebook for craft plans on one side and organization on the other

- a Victoria's journals leather notebook holder that's like an MTN passport size which I carry everywhere. It's got a planner (appointments get copied in from my home planner and this is where I keep track of spending), a notebook for notes, plus my dreams (as in while sleeping) notebook

- an A5 scribe notebook for story/character notes plus another notebook for random story fragments

- a notepad for daily to do lists (I'm just trying to finish this and then I'm merging this with my notebook in my VJ fauxdori)

Oh, and I've also got a bunch of index cards for my chronological index for my journals, and I'm currently working on a topic index for my journals.

It sounds like a mess, but it really does work as a system for me.

inlovewithjournals
January 18th, 2014, 09:40 AM
I love this thread! I've actually planning on writing a whole blog post on my 'notebook organization' as I call it. I love that people have a bunch of notebooks to, it makes me feel less like a crazy notebook user.

I've got a whole bunch of notebooks ongoing right now.

- my 5"x7.5" Alunsina leather journal as my main journal.

- A5 Starbucks planner for home use. I also do some mini journaling here at the end of the day when I'm not feeling up to writing an actual journal entry yet or if I know I'm not going to journal about it.

- A5 Muji lines notebook for quotes

- B5 Muji blank notebook for craft plans on one side and organization on the other

- a Victoria's journals leather notebook holder that's like an MTN passport size which I carry everywhere. It's got a planner (appointments get copied in from my home planner and this is where I keep track of spending), a notebook for notes, plus my dreams (as in while sleeping) notebook

- an A5 scribe notebook for story/character notes plus another notebook for random story fragments

- a notepad for daily to do lists (I'm just trying to finish this and then I'm merging this with my notebook in my VJ fauxdori)

Oh, and I've also got a bunch of index cards for my chronological index for my journals, and I'm currently working on a topic index for my journals.

It sounds like a mess, but it really does work as a system for me.

It doesn't sound like a mess to me at all, as I'm a fellow crazy notebook user! Be sure to let us know when you write your post on notebook organization, I would be very interested. :)

zzdia
January 19th, 2014, 12:22 AM
It doesn't sound like a mess to me at all, as I'm a fellow crazy notebook user! Be sure to let us know when you write your post on notebook organization, I would be very interested. :)

Thanks! I'll work on the post once babyMac (my lappy) is back from the repair shop, hopefully by next week

DPWilkens
January 23rd, 2014, 07:32 AM
Like many fountain pen users, I've become a notebook addict as I've searched for a paper type that would hold the ink well. I am a sometime writer, historian and like to organize myself with a pocket notebook. My search for the perfect notebook has led me down many blind alleys, and led to a proliferation of notebooks of different sizes.

Right now my notebooks consist of:
-a Leuchtturm 1917 pocket notebook, lined hard cover. This is the end result of long and fruitless experimentation with all sorts of moleskin-type notebooks. The nearest best thing I found so far is the Markings pocket notebook, but I haven't gone back since I found a consignment of cheap Leuchtturms at a Half-Price Books, and eventually bought all I could find in the city. Now I have to order them online. This one stays in my pocket everywhere I go, and is useful for passwords, agendas, lists, and short notes. In a pinch I can write longer notes and drafts in it too. These are also nice for my historical research, because the small size and stiff covers make it easy to carry deep into the library stacks and jot notes with.

-a leather-bound softcover journal I bought at Barnes and Noble (the cheap, Indian-made ones), with the pages removed and replaced with three Piccadilly booklets held in place with elastic bands, Midori Traveller-style. Piccadilly products are problematic, since most I've tried have bad paper. Somehow I got a batch with decent paper, and these are currently in the leather journal. I use it for journal entries and longer notes and drafts.

-a stiffer, but still soft bonded leather notebook cover someone gave me, retrofitted with elastic Midori Traveller style. I put a neat petit savage softcover notebook and a Piccadilly booklet in this one, and use it for drafts and theological notes.

-a larger, designwallas brand softcover notebook, formerly used for rough drafts and to transcribe historical documents.

-a small Moleskine cahier I rejected for use with fountain pens, and use as a "military notebook" containing specific information about War of 1812 artillery ranges, regimental numbers, equipment and other trivia I take with me to historical reenactments. It's full, so I'll probably replace it this year with a leather bound journal jury-rigged, again, from one of the cheap Indian leather diaries from Barnes and Noble.

zzdia
January 25th, 2014, 11:28 PM
here's the blog post on my notebooks so you can see some pics: http://zzdia.wordpress.com/2014/01/25/notebook-organization/

Lbravo
February 15th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Wow. Thanks to all who posted here. I will write up a post with pics when I get more time. I will show this thread to all who think I am the only one who MUST have the right book for the right topic and something of a system for all of it!

caribbean_skye
February 15th, 2014, 05:09 PM
here's the blog post on my notebooks so you can see some pics: http://zzdia.wordpress.com/2014/01/25/notebook-organization/

Thanks for sharing. Gives me ideas for my other journals now.

VertOlive
March 1st, 2014, 06:47 PM
Revisiting this thread, I find I've morphed around a bit as to my notebook lineup:

Tomoe River A5 bound hardcover notebook: Daily-ish Journal

Kyokuto A5 dot grid spiral bound notebook: Current Class Notes

Rhodia A4 spiral bound notebook: Ink Journal/ Calligraphy practice

Fiddling around with a Crica Sampler Pack for Exercise Log [still not sure it works for this]

Still using the cheapie yellow 5x7 pad for Grocery and To Do lists.....

Sailor Kenshin
March 2nd, 2014, 07:54 AM
For InCo, i entered addresses in a Field Notes that I was already using to log pen trades, sales, giveaways, etc. I did not leave enough space for notations so I probably lost track of tuck-ins and started repeating myself. -_-

VertOlive
March 10th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Set the Circa aside as just not sturdy and portable enough.

Trying to find an easy carry notebook and attached teeny pen so that I have no excuse to "Think Fuzzy" when logging calories. Right now it's a spiral bound pack of 3x5 cards and a cheapie mini gel pen. Field trials to commence tomorrow...

ypsilanti
March 11th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Many. I use many notebooks. For this post, I pulled out my pocket notebook and made a list:

Journal: handmade

Four-year diary: a series of Doane pocket notebooks, stored in a 4 x 6 photo box that's a perfect fit

Pocket notebook: Doane or Field Notes or some other look-alike, a catch-all that goes everywhere with me

Daily logbook of health/fitness stuff, like running mileage: composition book

Commonplace book: handmade

Poems I like: Clairefontaine notebooks (I have a folder full of loose sheets that I'm slowly transcribing into notebooks)

Ink journal: Clairefontaine notebook

Books I've read: Paperblanks notebook

Passwords: Field Notes

and I have a Circa notebook that allows me to carry around loose sheets of onion skin and laser jet paper and whatever else I feel like putting in there

um, and there's a Steno pad in my lunch bag, and one in my tote bag

Eeesh! Many.

sharmon202
March 30th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Work - I have Bullet Journal-ed since last August and it is a fantastic fit for me. I am in a Rhodia A5 Dot Grid webbie. When it is full, soon, I am going to try the Baron Fig Dot
I have an Ink/Pen combo record in a Rhodia 48 sheet 14.8 x 21 cm softside notebook - not sure what it is called officially. If I do not do this I forget which ink is in which pen. I use 1st 2 pages as the Index.
I have an Oprah Lifeclass journal I had for quite a while until I did a 21 day grateful class and ow use it for daily "gratefulls". It will be full in a week and will have to start another. Thanks Oprah & Mentors Chanel for the notebook and the exercise in being grateful every day.
I have a Levenger 5 year journal that I record short daily personal and world events. I am 6 months in. Gonna be fun.
I have a Miscelany Book - Clairefontaine 96 sheets 11 x 17 cm. I use it to record misc. items I see on the internet and do not want to forget or that I might want to refer back to. I use the firstfew pages as the Index.
Whitelines lined A5 I use as a study for increasing EQ (emotional quotient) and stress reducing learning's. I record EQ & stress reducing techniques for review and exercises to improve my EQ & reduce stress.
I keep a small Rhodia webbie in my purse for writing down things quickly and usually to do's or move the info to computers or other notebooks or files.

I did not really realize I had seven in progress. Thanks for the opportunity to reflect. I am doing OK, they all have a purpose.
My Baron Fig is here ready to go and yes, I have 4-5 other notebooks in reserve for when I decide I need something to write another topic or interest down in.
I do have to figure out how to start keeping track of letters in and out. Thanks a lot InCoWriMo (sarcasm heavy here)- my 1st last Feb. now how do I do this?

Plume145
April 14th, 2014, 12:38 PM
I'm going in a different direction and trying to get down to 1 notebook devoted to everything but journaling. However, at the moment I have a Kokoyu Buncobon for a bullet journal, a Field Notes for on the go notes, a CF Life Unplugged for a mail log and a Habana for my journal. I don't keep an ink log.
My goal is to get to the buncobon as my primary notebook, including mail log, and to the Habana for extended journal writing.

hey, that's been my goal too! for the past year, year and a half? I wanted the ability to pack up my entire desktop in one small totebag so I could more easily work in coffee shops and such (also, to save some thinking when packing for trips, lol). My computer stuff was already pretty pared down, so that was no problem, but if I wanted real portability I knew the eleventy billion notebooks had to go.

I'm pretty much there already, and OMG do I ever recommend it!! If you're starting out with a lot it can be daunting, but I think as long as you focus on reducing a little at a time, you will get there sooner than you expect. I should know, I started out with this totally massive setup that would barely fit in my current tote WITHOUT the laptop and charger! Haha, it was bad :P

How are you getting on then?