PDA

View Full Version : Brahmam Pens, India

Mesu
October 25th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Very less is known about the history of Brahmam pens of Andhra Pradesh, India. Below is the little information i could gather from discussion with Mr. Ramanamurthy of Ratnamson pens and some info from Deccan stores, Hyderabad.

================================================== ========

Brahmam pens was started by Mr. Brahmam, the nephew of Mr. K.V Ratnam of the famous Ratnamson pens. The pen manufacturing was initially started in Rajahmundry and then moved to Bhimavaram near Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh.

Few years into pen manufacturing, Mr. Brahmam passed away and the pen production continued under his son-in-law. About 6 years ago, he too passed away resulting in the shut down of the company.

The Brahmam pens are now very rare. Now and then few are seen in stores. Deccan pen stores have a few of them but they can be purchased only with a gold nib.

Some of the Brahmam pens i managed to purchase at reasonable prices. The green pens are purchased from Meenakshi stores in Bangalore and the burgundy ripple pen from Mr. Kandan of Ranga pen company.

Jeph
October 25th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Nice looking pens. I can't see what it says on the clip. My brain will only accept "Parker" so I cannot manage to focus properly.

jacksterp
October 25th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Nice looking pens. I can't see what it says on the clip. My brain will only accept "Parker" so I cannot manage to focus properly.

Looks to be "Brahmam."

Mesu
October 25th, 2013, 10:56 AM

Attached the pic of the clip.

It says "Brahmam"

Woodnut
December 6th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Thank you, Mesu, for an interesting post that helps me piece together a history of India's pen industry. I've only begun to build a collection of ebonite pens, and I see now that I can keep going for a very long time. After I acquire the current offerings, I can then set my sights on vintage eyedroppers! Is there a market for them, as there is for Parkers, Watermans, etc.?

Mesu
December 7th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Is there a market for them, as there is for Parkers, Watermans, etc.?

Yes definitely. But finding them is difficult.

There are many vintage pens lying undiscovered. Regular visits to the local stores is the best way to find them.

Shrujaya, Hari317 and some more Indian pen enthusiasts have shared their wonderful finds.