PDA

View Full Version : New Design - the 'Lau Cigar' in Blue Mosaic and Black Acrylic

drgoretex
October 26th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Here's a pen I finished today - one that represents a new style/shape for me. This pen's shape was mostly steered by the fellow who ordered it - and since the design requested was all verbal (by email exchange), I hope I have come close to what he was looking for! In the end, it is a kind of a take on the cigar style (matched barrel and cap diameters in the middle), but with tapered barrel, round finial, and convex barrel end. As it differs from my other pen styles, I have named this one for the fellow who ordered it.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_8750_zps1edbce00.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_8768_zps523cd6bb.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_8759_zps3a334ca3.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_8773_zps5a2adaff.jpg

The pen is fitted with a medium polished steel JoWo nib, and a converter for filling.

Thanks for looking!

Ken

trhall
October 26th, 2013, 07:49 PM
That's a sharp looking pen! I like how the shape turned out.

earthdawn
October 26th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Well I love the colors and pattern as well as the shape. It has a great balanced look to it.

But more than anything else the fit and finish look perfect!

Really well done :cheers:

Bogon07
October 27th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Niffy looking pen. The colour combination is strangely pleasing and relaxing - not what you'd expect from checked pattern.
Very digital. The pattern looks fascinating on the threads.
The ideal pen to use when listening to Brian Eno's Discreet Music.

snedwos
October 27th, 2013, 09:23 PM
I have loved that acrylic ever since Edison did that giveaway with their friend's children's book...

I think I would like this pen more with the cap finial matching the barrel finial.

But as usual, the fit looks immaculate. Congratulation on another job well done!

Actually, it does look like a Nakaya/Pilot cross-breed...

firewhatfire
October 28th, 2013, 05:40 PM
That's some fun stuff to work isn't it. I tried a nib holder out of it.....I got a little to aggressive. :faint:

Looks good

drgoretex
October 28th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Niffy looking pen. The colour combination is strangely pleasing and relaxing - not what you'd expect from checked pattern.
Very digital. The pattern looks fascinating on the threads.
The ideal pen to use when listening to Brian Eno's Discreet Music.

It is interesting material, isn't it? I think it's my favourite of the 'mosaic' layered materials out there.

Brian Eno....:thumb:

I have loved that acrylic ever since Edison did that giveaway with their friend's children's book...

I think I would like this pen more with the cap finial matching the barrel finial.

But as usual, the fit looks immaculate. Congratulation on another job well done!

Actually, it does look like a Nakaya/Pilot cross-breed...

Thanks very much - I am pretty obsessive with the details, so I love to hear that sort of thing :) I tend to agree Re the finial, but this is what the one who ordered it was envisioning - and fortunately, he is quite happy with how it looks. Which makes me happy too.

Thanks for all the comments!

Ken

InvisibleMan
October 30th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Yep, my favorite of the mosaics as well. Very sharp pen!

piscov
November 3rd, 2013, 02:50 PM
Great looking pen! Simple and elegant design in a stunning acrylic! Congrats!!

Before the cap thread starts ( near the black section) it looks like you have done a small step, is this correct?

One technical question, as I interested in this acrylic. Do you think it would be possible to produce a piston filler with this acrylic or does it has some voids and is not completely homogeneous and the vacuum would be lost?

drgoretex
November 4th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Great looking pen! Simple and elegant design in a stunning acrylic! Congrats!!

Before the cap thread starts ( near the black section) it looks like you have done a small step, is this correct?

One technical question, as I interested in this acrylic. Do you think it would be possible to produce a piston filler with this acrylic or does it has some voids and is not completely homogeneous and the vacuum would be lost?

Thanks for the kind comment!

There is indeed a diameter step in the cap - the first 7 or 8mm of the inside of the cap is 1/2", unthreaded and polished, to give it a nice finished look. The threads start 7 or 8mm into the cap.

I did not notice any voids at all in this material. I was actually quite impressed with the quality of it - suspect it would do fine as a piston filler.

Cheers,

Ken