PDA

View Full Version : Your Dream Safari?

heath
October 27th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Ok, I got this idea from Oblique and Inky's post, 2014's Safari Colours. (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/4486-2014-s-Safari-Colourshttp://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/4486-2014-s-Safari-Colours) Thinking about what might be coming got me thinking about what I would like to have most.

I did a full post on my blog about it with loads of pictures here. (http://penpaperinkletter.com/dream-lamy-safari/)

I’m sure you've thought about it if you have ever owned a Lamy Safari or looked longingly at the multitude of rainbow images showing varied Safari collections. My dream Safari would be? This takes that question to its logical conclusion. If I was not limited to only the current variations or even past limited editions and could have any flavor I wanted, what would it be?

First, I will point out a few of my favorite production Safaris. By that I mean the ones currently being sold by Lamy that are not special editions. As of this post there are six colors available (via lamy.com): Matte Charcoal with a black clip & the chrome clipped gloss Black, Blue, Red, White & Yellow. I have the Charcoal and White versions. They also just happen to be my favorites of the production colors. If I was to get another one it would likely be the blue one.

There is currently one Special Edition being produced by Lamy and I have that one. It is possibly the most controversial pick for a special color as it is not simply a different color in the normal spectrum but a neon yellow that does stand out a bit and has been a love or hate color from what I can tell. I love it but that’s also because it fits well into my Lamy Spectrum.

If I was just looking at every Safari ever made, not including the ones I already own I’d likely say the 2006 Special edition Royal Blue with Red clip Lamy Safari would be my favorite. A close second might be the Yellow with Black clip just because it feels so classic. It reminds me of a school bus.

But what you really came for right? What would be by dream Lamy Safari? There could be a large tome on nib choice for this dream Lamy Safari but I’ll save that for another time. For now, I’m simply talking color.

Honestly, immediately and unequivocally, I would choose a blue pen with an orange clip. I’d be fine with a orange or blue cap end. And for the visually stimulated among you here is my poorly done mock up of my dream Lamy Safari!

I have so many reasons for wanting this combination. The most obvious for those that know me would be the connection to the University I attended but it’s more than that. For as long as I can remember my dad was a fan of the same team and so I grew up an Orange and Blue kid. Most of the shirts I have worn have been in the blue family. Also, my favorite color has always been blue. It also seems that in recent years this color combo has become mainstream. Just looking at the mockup has affirmed that the combo works and I’d love to see this pen. I have a feeling that a German fountain pen maker isn’t looking at popular American University team colors for their inspiration but maybe one day they’ll stumble across this combo and make it happen.

Even though the Blue and Orange pen is my clear dream Safari I couldn't help but make an honorable mention. These colors also go back to my childhood though they are less ingrained in my daily life. They somewhat clash with Orange and Blue and so I have very few things in these colors even though they truly do make up one of my favorite color combinations. Maroon and Gold is what I’d name the pen but it is truly just a Maroon pen with a Yellow clip. Still classic and even mainstream enough to be a possibility but likely not on Lamy’s short list.

So, now you know my dream Lamy Safari, as some would say, my grail pen in the Safari range. What’s yours?

krazyklod
October 27th, 2013, 11:24 AM
A gold one!
Actually I've never gave this much thought but I would love a safari nib with a bit of give. Beyond that maybe one made of ebonite or marble...that would make a really special safari.

kaisnowbird
October 27th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Dream Safari, heh?
I want something between Safari and Vista - a smoke demonstrator. :crazy_pilot:

tandaina
October 27th, 2013, 04:09 PM
A dream Safari? A modified design that isn't so dang... blocky and oversized on the cap side. I'd love a retro Lamy that brought back their older, more streamlined designs with their modern fun colors.

snedwos
October 27th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Dream Safari, heh?

Which wouldn't be a stretch -- A pen made entirely out of the material of the AL-Star section...

I would want a purple one. It has two strands of significance for me -- the university I attended, and some political/national/historical/idealistic nonsense that nevertheless matters to me.

Or red, white clip, white section. That would be cool too.

kaisnowbird
October 28th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Dream Safari, heh?

Which wouldn't be a stretch -- A pen made entirely out of the material of the AL-Star section...

You totally get me. :amen:

Sailor Kenshin
October 28th, 2013, 06:39 AM
If we're talking colors...a deep teal body with orange clip. But that's just me, lol.

snedwos
October 28th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Hmm, a frosted vista might work. Maybe i could improvise one with superglue fumes...

KrazyIvan
October 28th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Dream Safari, heh?

I could go for that too.

Bogon07
October 29th, 2013, 08:08 PM
#1 A Nexx with an Al-Star style metal cap and matching body colour in dark metallic green.

#2 An orange & black ripple ebonite Safari with a flex nib.

velo
October 30th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Hmm, a frosted vista might work. Maybe i could improvise one with superglue fumes...

With the same texture on the outside. I'd buy it.

If it came with kaisnowbird's smoke colour I'd buy that too.

Ohhh a frosted smoke Safari.

kaisnowbird
October 30th, 2013, 05:45 AM
A frosted smoke Safari -- boy, that'll get me excited! Likey likey. :dance3:

KrazyIvan
October 30th, 2013, 09:26 AM

but frosted from the inside with a gloss outer finish.

Bogon07
October 31st, 2013, 09:36 PM

Textured on the outside like the Charcoal could be an interesting effect .

kaisnowbird
November 1st, 2013, 03:35 AM

Textured on the outside like the Charcoal could be an interesting effect .

I'd be happy either way.

yipe
November 1st, 2013, 09:48 AM
A nice forest green body and cap, black clip, black cap button, black italic nib.

discopig
December 24th, 2013, 09:06 PM
My dream safari was already made, 2012 limited edition green. I love it.

stevekolt
December 24th, 2013, 10:03 PM
White with a blue clip, or blue with a white clip...

Woody
December 29th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Teal. And primarily a nice smooth nib. I've had trouble with Safari nibs.

pengeezer
January 14th, 2014, 07:40 PM
I'd have 2 choices: A smoke-coloured demonstrator that was built like the Dialog 3;and
a Safari coloured like the Chilton "Clown" pen(similar to an Omas Arlecchino).

John

GING GING
July 31st, 2014, 04:42 PM
A LAMY mini.

VertOlive
July 31st, 2014, 06:02 PM
Love that blue and orange, heath! I'd probably go for an Olive Green with black clip, nib, and top button thingey.

snedwos
July 31st, 2014, 06:13 PM
Pearly off-white.

GING GING
November 22nd, 2014, 03:41 PM
How about a metal Safari with a gold nib

lsmith42
November 22nd, 2014, 05:09 PM
My dream safari... A lion, hyena, gazelle, and zebra walk in to a bar...

amk
November 22nd, 2014, 05:37 PM
Do answers have to be sensible? My dream Safaris.

1. Omas arco celluloid Safari.
2. Platinum 3776 koi celluloid Safari.
3. Rose ripple ebonite Safari.
4. Pinstripe charcoal and white Safari.

And if they can do pinstripes, a Harris Tweed Safari would also be rather nice.

picautomaton
November 23rd, 2014, 04:19 AM
Round section, flex nib

chojo
November 23rd, 2014, 06:45 AM
Do answers have to be sensible? My dream Safaris.

1. Omas arco celluloid Safari.
2. Platinum 3776 koi celluloid Safari.
3. Rose ripple ebonite Safari.
4. Pinstripe charcoal and white Safari.

And if they can do pinstripes, a Harris Tweed Safari would also be rather nice.

Harris tweed sounds cool but which colour? For me the Prussian red with a mustard clip would be be the bee's knees.

GING GING
December 20th, 2014, 09:30 PM
How about a mini Dialogue 3. But call it the Dialogue 1.5

lsmith42
December 21st, 2014, 10:13 PM
How about a mini Dialogue 3. But call it the Dialogue 1.5

Excellent idea...

migo984
December 22nd, 2014, 03:50 AM
My dream Safari.........? Two weeks in Botswana & Namibia

Rusty888
December 22nd, 2014, 04:15 AM
My dream Safari.........? Two weeks in Botswana & Namibia

Well played

00Photo
December 23rd, 2014, 12:26 AM
Boom.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7521/15898209208_bce584071e_o.jpg

mobilebibliothek
December 23rd, 2014, 06:07 AM
00Photo - I already said it on fb and tweeted about it (https://twitter.com/buecherkram/status/547376806337478656), but I'm going to add it here, too: This is too awesome for words. That pen needs to happen!

Mags
December 23rd, 2014, 06:08 AM
It sure is an upbeat fusion of colour.

GING GING
December 25th, 2014, 03:20 PM
My dream safari... A lion, hyena, gazelle, and zebra walk in to a bar...

[emoji106]

GING GING
December 25th, 2014, 03:24 PM
I'd have 2 choices: A smoke-coloured demonstrator that was built like the Dialog 3;and
a Safari coloured like the Chilton "Clown" pen(similar to an Omas Arlecchino).

John

Ewe, a demonstrator D3. That would be cool

sharmon202
December 26th, 2014, 11:31 AM
None, my one Safari was enough, would not buy another.

Willieboy
January 10th, 2015, 03:32 PM
I guess I am easily pleased. I received my first Safari today and I'll call it my dream Safari. It is a charcoal model with the ink converter and an optional 1.1mm italic nib. It writes nicely and I will carry it every day. If lost, it won't be the end of the world.

gregamckinney
January 16th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Transparent, luminescent plastic. A demonstrator by day, writing light by night.

greg

pica pica
January 22nd, 2015, 06:28 PM
A LAMY mini.

Yes!

Boom.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7521/15898209208_bce584071e_o.jpg

No!

Black urushi