PDA

View Full Version : A Pelikan as a gift?

Gamma Goblin
October 27th, 2013, 11:14 AM
My best friend`s uncle wants to give me his Pelikan fountain pen. He bought it in the 60s and only used it for signing contracts. It is in a very good condition, with gold nib and all. Can I accept this gift or is it worth so much that I better tell him and refuse?

Tracy Lee
October 27th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Probably will need to tell the experts here what kind/model of Pelikan it is, if you can. Pretty variable is what I have learned from them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Laura N
October 27th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Over the years I've found that when offered a gift, it's best to accept with pleasure and gratitude. It sounds like it would make him happy to pass on this pen to someone who will use it.

Jeph
October 27th, 2013, 12:01 PM
I think that the value will only show you the magnitude of the gesture. He bought it, so he probably has a pretty good idea what it is worth. I suggest you look at Rick Propas' site The PENguin (http://www.thepenguinpen.com/index.jsp) to see what a nearly immaculate and restored version would be worth. You could share that information with him to be sure that he has an idea. Just be warned that a nice vintage early post-war Pelikan is liable to make it hard for other pens to measure up down the road.

KrazyIvan
October 27th, 2013, 12:19 PM
From giftypedia

For every gift given, there is a gift received. Therefore, it seems strange that although most have mastered the art of giving, still many are not comfortable with the etiquette for receiving a gift. Recipients sometimes struggle with the humility required to receive a gift graciously.

Although we are taught that “it is better to give than to receive,” our ability to receive is equally as important as our ability to give. Giving is not a one-way street. In receiving a gift, we are immediately acknowledging the gift giver and returning the favor with a show of appreciation and kind words. Therefore, both the giver and the receiver can experience the benefits associated with giving.

Receiving is a social skill and must be practiced. Gifts received when hosting a party, for a birthday or holiday are perfect opportunities to master this skill. Whether you are thrilled with the gift or not, express your appreciation by complimenting their thoughtfulness and generosity. Smile when the gift is handed to you and open it in the presence of the giver.

Basically, to receive graciously requires more than just the words, “Thank You.” It requires focusing on someone who has done something special for you. Remember the old saying, “it is the thought that counts.”

tandaina
October 27th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Gifts should be accepted graciously and with thanks. The monetary value of a vintage family pen is irrelevant, its continued use and care is what matters.

That said, it is likely a P1 or similar. While nice pens they are not going to fund anyone's retirement, it doesn't need a rider on your insurance policy or anything. Just use and enjoy.

Waski_the_Squirrel
October 27th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I understand why this gift would be difficult to accept. An expensive gift is really hard to reciprocate, especially if you have limited financial means.

One way to look at it is that the man believes he is giving the pen to a good home. He may fear its loss or possibly even disposal after he is gone. In your care, the pen will be appreciated.

franzdimson
October 27th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Everyone's already mentioned what I think you should do. =)

One thing I'd like to add is that fountain pen gifting, no matter the value, is usually carefully thought out by the giver that the person really deserves it.

I've given some fancy $8-$12 ballpoints to people as gifts for the past 10 years without any second thoughts.

And then for the past year, I've only gifted 4 fountain pens to people who I know truly will appreciate it and I know will take care of them. One of them was a pen of value (price wise) but I know she deserved it and she values it more than what I paid for.

Bottom line, accept it, thank him for the gift and use it. =)

Gamma Goblin
October 29th, 2013, 03:10 AM
He gave me the pen yesterday. I thanked him and will use it for sure. Only problem is that it seems to be clogged with old ink. I have put the nib section in a glass of water overnight and flushed it this morning. There`s still blue ink coming out of the nib when I try to dry it with a paper tissue. I couldn`t wait and inserted a blue ink cartridge. It took some fiddling to make it write. If I want to write properly I have to tilt the pen a little to the left. Is that normal? The writing tip isn`t straight. I have seen it under a loupe and am worried a bit if it is damaged. I could pull out the nib and it reads "OB" on the top. What does this stand for?

whych
October 29th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Either post a picture of the pen showing the nib section or go to http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e-index.html and identify the pen.
We can then tell you what to do.

The OB means it is an oblique broad.
To write with an oblique nib:
Hold the pen normally
Put it onto the paper and now rotate the pen anti-clockwise till the nib is flat on the page.
Use your other hand to hold the pen in this postirion and re-grip the pen and hold the way you normally would without rotating the pen.
Write .

You need to rotate the nib by the angle of the oblique grind, or else it will seem like it is catching and also be hard to start. Once you get the rotation right, it will write perfectly.

snedwos
October 29th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Oooh, tasty nib! Obliques are nice. I do prefer straight stubs, but often obliques are the only non-round nib option.

Gamma Goblin
October 29th, 2013, 10:27 AM
This is the pen, together with my Pelikano.
Can you tell me the model, please? I could not find it on the ruettinger website :noidea:

@whych: thank you for the description of the correct writing position. It helped a lot.
I can write with it now. It is a nice pen. The nib glides over the paper like a ship over the waves. Sweet!
And it writes on every paper that I have tried out with it.
I have no idea how it compares to the M400 or if it is comparable at all. The 400 is a piston filler and this pen needs cartridges and looks like a Pelikano for adults. What did Pelikan think when they created it?

tandaina
October 29th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Sounds like an oblique nib. I adore obliques, I naturally hold my pen rotated inward a little, so "need" an oblique (I can use a regular nib, the obliques are just more comfortable/natural). They also, in older pens with flat iridium, tend to produce some nice line variation. :)

mmahany
October 29th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Never look a gift Yacht in the mouth.