PDA

View Full Version : Reviewers United

grandmia
October 28th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Hi all...Here is a video of myself supporting my fellow reviewers and anyone that shares there pens with us. And I get a few points of my chest....

http://youtu.be/RURaZZG8H-g

cwent2
October 28th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Bravo! Good on ya. I for one appreciate your videos and your commentary! And I have watched several of your how to videos for tips and guidance on how to do a repair.

Thank You - Keep up the good work

Warm Regards and Best Wishes

KrazyIvan
October 28th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Steph, couldn't agree with you more. Keep up the good work and the same to the Dr.

MisterBoll
October 28th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Hi all...Here is a video of myself supporting my fellow reviewers and anyone that shares there pens with us. And I get a few points of my chest....

Thanks for the groovy video. I agree with you 1000%. I've subscribed to your channel.

Mod_wolves
October 28th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Completely agree with you Stef and good on you for standing up!

Love both your self and stephen for reviews. I watch your videos all of the time.

There will always be people with negative opinions no matter what you do.

Hope to meet you at the northern pen show next year in Chester and I'll buy you a pint!!

dr.grace
October 28th, 2013, 11:07 AM
I love that line, "Hey, get a life!!!". I agree that there are too many critics. It's much harder to create than to destroy. (OTOH, and I'm not referring to anyone in particular, sometimes a particular comment on a forum or video may need to be corrected so as not to encourage practices that are counterproductive. There's room for civilized discussion.)

hamag
October 29th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks a lot for the videos of Dr. Brown and Stef.
Stef, you're my pen-guru
Horacio

mommalisa
October 30th, 2013, 06:27 PM
I have been to fearful of the critics to do a review! Good for you- Some of us enjoy them greatly- It seems negative people are louder than satisfied ones!

grandmia
November 1st, 2013, 02:53 PM
Bravo! Good on ya. I for one appreciate your videos and your commentary! And I have watched several of your how to videos for tips and guidance on how to do a repair.

Thank You - Keep up the good work

Warm Regards and Best Wishes

Many thank for your comments. I hope the videos you watched were helpful.

grandmia
November 1st, 2013, 02:55 PM
Steph, couldn't agree with you more. Keep up the good work and the same to the Dr.

Hi Ivan..Thank you for you kind words. You also keep up the good work you do.

grandmia
November 1st, 2013, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the groovy video. I agree with you 1000%. I've subscribed to your channel.

Many thanks for your comments. Keep watching.

grandmia
November 1st, 2013, 02:59 PM
Completely agree with you Stef and good on you for standing up!

Love both your self and stephen for reviews. I watch your videos all of the time.

There will always be people with negative opinions no matter what you do.

Hope to meet you at the northern pen show next year in Chester and I'll buy you a pint!!

Many thanks for your comments and for watching. I will look forward to that pint, mines a John Smiths .

grandmia
November 1st, 2013, 03:02 PM
I love that line, "Hey, get a life!!!". I agree that there are too many critics. It's much harder to create than to destroy. (OTOH, and I'm not referring to anyone in particular, sometimes a particular comment on a forum or video may need to be corrected so as not to encourage practices that are counterproductive. There's room for civilized discussion.)

Thanks. Im more than happy to be involved with a civilized discussion, unfortunately some people are not.

grandmia
November 1st, 2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks a lot for the videos of Dr. Brown and Stef.
Stef, you're my pen-guru
Horacio

Hi Horacio...A pen-guru, im honoured. Thanks for watching.

grandmia
November 1st, 2013, 03:08 PM
I have been to fearful of the critics to do a review! Good for you- Some of us enjoy them greatly- It seems negative people are louder than satisfied ones!

DON,T be fearful, if your happy with the review and what you do then that is all that matters. Your so right that "negative people are louder than satisfied ones" .Thank you for watching.

earthdawn
November 1st, 2013, 10:17 PM
Ya know I got so worked up watching that video I needed a few days to think about it....

First, I dont understand why any video would be pulled because they thought you were doing it as an ad to sell the pen. There are THOUSANDS of videos on YouTube that are there for no other reason but to sell something!

Second, THANK YOU for reviewing the pens you do, especially if it is a rare pen that you might sell. The next person may not do a review or even share their experience with the pen to anyone. You doing a review preserves the ability to see it up close and personal. Agreeing wtih your thoughts on the pen is secondary to the video footage you provide of that pen!

How many reviews are there of a Vintage Conway Stewart Red Mottled Fountain Pen ... hmmm.. not many or maybe just 1 ... yours Steph! and thank you for preserving the ability for us collectors and lovers of the pens to go and see a rare gem.

Last... I'd love to meet up with you at the Feisty Goat for a few pints and talk pens!

Keep up the great work knowing we love the reviews! :clap2:

grandmia
November 9th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Ya know I got so worked up watching that video I needed a few days to think about it....

First, I dont understand why any video would be pulled because they thought you were doing it as an ad to sell the pen. There are THOUSANDS of videos on YouTube that are there for no other reason but to sell something!

Second, THANK YOU for reviewing the pens you do, especially if it is a rare pen that you might sell. The next person may not do a review or even share their experience with the pen to anyone. You doing a review preserves the ability to see it up close and personal. Agreeing wtih your thoughts on the pen is secondary to the video footage you provide of that pen!

How many reviews are there of a Vintage Conway Stewart Red Mottled Fountain Pen ... hmmm.. not many or maybe just 1 ... yours Steph! and thank you for preserving the ability for us collectors and lovers of the pens to go and see a rare gem.

Last... I love to meet up with you at the Feisty Goat for a few pints and talk pens!

Keep up the great work knowing we love the reviews! :clap2:

Many thanks for your kind words. Be thankful that you are allowed to make your own mind up here on the FPG forum to what you want to watch or read. Unfortunately for my fans on the OTHER forum it appears that my last three videos have not been APPROVED by the powers that be and therefore can not be seen. Thank god we live in a free world !
Thanks again
Stef.
PS A few pints at the Feisty Goat sound good.

subramaniyam
November 9th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Hmmm.... This is sad... Some of us here got into pens after seeing pen reviews. Thank you for your service to the writing instruments world!
Regards,
Sub

I like mango pudding
November 9th, 2013, 10:44 PM
wow. I have to see your videos now. I didn't even know you existed till I clicked on this thread. I have a lot of watching to do.

grandmia
November 10th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Hmmm.... This is sad... Some of us here got into pens after seeing pen reviews. Thank you for your service to the writing instruments world!
Regards,
Sub

Hi Sub...Thank you for your comments. Im not sure it is sad, I think more pathetic is appropriate. Thanks for watching.

grandmia
November 10th, 2013, 06:51 AM
wow. I have to see your videos now. I didn't even know you existed till I clicked on this thread. I have a lot of watching to do.

WHAT ? You have not been watching ? Yes you have a lot of catching up to do, go for it...:thumb:

Blastmaster1972
November 10th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Just subscribed to your youtube channel.

Keep up the good work, never mind the critics!

Kind regards,

Jos

grandmia
November 11th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Just subscribed to your youtube channel.

Keep up the good work, never mind the critics!

Kind regards,

Jos
Hi Jos...Thank you for comments. Fortunately i do not have a problem with the critics, its just unfortunate that other people that enjoy my videos are not allowed to watch them.

amk
November 14th, 2013, 08:48 AM
As far as I'm concerned, both Mr Brown and yourself are admirably upfront in your videos about being given free pens (eg in the recent Kaweco reviews by SBREBrown), having pens for sale, and so on. As long as it's all disclosed I have no problem with it.

I'm sure we could all get picky about the reviews, but they're an incredibly useful resource for us all. I've derived huge benefit from your repair videos. Seeing the writing sample is always instructive - is a pen scratchy or smooth? And I like to see the different small details and angles that you highlight. Above all I love your and Mr Brown's videos because they are personal opinions - I don't always agree, but hey, you are not just repeating a pen manufacturer's press release!

I know reviewing is a thankless task having done a fair bit in my time, but we do notice you are there and we do appreciate it!

kaisnowbird
November 19th, 2013, 07:21 AM
To Steph, Dr Brown and all the pen reviewers, keep up the fantastic work!!
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Steph, when you show us a pen that's available for sale, the value of your video goes far beyond just an advertisement. I've often used them as a visual reference. Besides, they are just fun to watch.

Those critics and censorship enforcers are probably just a bunch of ungrateful, jealous, power-hungry prudes. If they don't want to watch these great reviews, there are plenty of ballpoints out there perfectly useful for poking one's eyes out.

jar
November 19th, 2013, 07:42 AM
I'm very curious what this thread is all about. Since I do review pens but never review pens I have not bought myself I'm curious about what we reviewers might need to unite about.

grandmia
November 20th, 2013, 03:53 PM
As far as I'm concerned, both Mr Brown and yourself are admirably upfront in your videos about being given free pens (eg in the recent Kaweco reviews by SBREBrown), having pens for sale, and so on. As long as it's all disclosed I have no problem with it.

I'm sure we could all get picky about the reviews, but they're an incredibly useful resource for us all. I've derived huge benefit from your repair videos. Seeing the writing sample is always instructive - is a pen scratchy or smooth? And I like to see the different small details and angles that you highlight. Above all I love your and Mr Brown's videos because they are personal opinions - I don't always agree, but hey, you are not just repeating a pen manufacturer's press release!

I know reviewing is a thankless task having done a fair bit in my time, but we do notice you are there and we do appreciate it!
Hi...Thank you for your kind comments and for watching. Its appreciated.

grandmia
November 20th, 2013, 03:57 PM
To Steph, Dr Brown and all the pen reviewers, keep up the fantastic work!!
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Steph, when you show us a pen that's available for sale, the value of your video goes far beyond just an advertisement. I've often used them as a visual reference. Besides, they are just fun to watch.

Those critics and censorship enforcers are probably just a bunch of ungrateful, jealous, power-hungry prudes. If they don't want to watch these great reviews, there are plenty of ballpoints out there perfectly useful for poking one's eyes out.
Thank you. Yes they are there for reference purposes and to try and help and of course the main point you mention THEY ARE FUN. :)

grandmia
November 20th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I'm very curious what this thread is all about. Since I do review pens but never review pens I have not bought myself I'm curious about what we reviewers might need to unite about.
Hi Jar...The vast majority of pens i review are my own and pens i have also purchased or traded etc. But does it matter if the pens are bought or not ? As long as viewers can see a selection of all kinds of pens by different manufacturers close up and that they enjoy them. There is no need to be curious and to unite is not compulsory, as long as you enjoy doing your reviews thats great. Keep on reviewing.

jar
November 20th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Hi Jar...The vast majority of pens i review are my own and pens i have also purchased or traded etc. But does it matter if the pens are bought or not ? As long as viewers can see a selection of all kinds of pens by different manufacturers close up and that they enjoy them. There is no need to be curious and to unite is not compulsory, as long as you enjoy doing your reviews thats great. Keep on reviewing.

But what is the purpose of uniting? What reason might there be to unite?

pencils+pens
November 20th, 2013, 09:36 PM

The original post in this thread was in support of SBRE Brown's video On Reviews (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biaLAhL5iNQ)

jar
November 21st, 2013, 06:58 AM

The original post in this thread was in support of SBRE Brown's video On Reviews (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biaLAhL5iNQ)

But many of us don't waste time watching videos and so I am left as clueless of the point as I was before. If someone is going to post a video would it not be wise to at least summarize what the video covers?

For example I now know that supposedly the video in the op was related to some other video but guess what, I still have no idea why those of us who review things should unite?

Adhizen
November 21st, 2013, 07:52 AM
I want to thank Stef and Stephen for their reiviews and generally good information about pens and their maintence. Because of your reviews I have embrace my pen muse and have followed its calling.
Reviewing is an interesting way to share and receive information. Bias is part human nature and we all have some oppinion about what we like or don't like. We have free will so we can choose to agree or disagree... watch or not watch... Unfortunately, in the age of information some people think it is some how okay to attack the messenger/reviewer for their service if they disagree or have some other axe to grind about a pen or such. Pooh on them...

I hope you all keep doing your reviews and that you know you are loved for the work you do!! To be "united" to the cause of keeping the pen community safe and informative is worth it.

grandmia
November 21st, 2013, 09:50 AM

But many of us don't waste time watching videos and so I am left as clueless of the point as I was before. If someone is going to post a video would it not be wise to at least summarize what the video covers?

For example I now know that supposedly the video in the op was related to some other video but guess what, I still have no idea why those of us who review things should unite?
Hi Jar...Maybe if you watched the videos you would not be clueless ? If you enjoy fountain pens then how can it be a waste time to watch a video on a beautiful fountain pen in close up and with a little information thrown in ? Thats the beauty of technology we can now share our lovely pens with others that also share our passion for pens. Why not take a look you may enjoy them....

jar
November 21st, 2013, 11:16 AM

Hi Jar...Maybe if you watched the videos you would not be clueless ? If you enjoy fountain pens then how can it be a waste time to watch a video on a beautiful fountain pen in close up and with a little information thrown in ? Thats the beauty of technology we can now share our lovely pens with others that also share our passion for pens. Why not take a look you may enjoy them....

Because I read much faster than a video can present data and I control order and duration in a written review. I have nothing against people using video as long as they understand it carries no value or information for many folk.

snedwos
November 21st, 2013, 12:08 PM
I will summarize the videos before this thread goes somewhere silly. (You smell! No, *you* smell!)

Doc brown has received some criticism for bias in his reviews, with some people basically accusing him of having a quid pro quo relationship with pen companies. He came out with a video defending himself. Gandmia then came out with a video supporting Stephen.

Incidentally, I, too, find I prefer text and photograph reviews. I also find videos slow and frustrating... I find myself thinking: get on with it!

The only pen videos I watch are the ones that aren't about pens so much as about the people.

I should say for my taste, Dan seems to have found the sweet spot for video pacing in his reviews. But I still prefer the good old fashioned awesome review. Gosh, remember when the awesome reviews were the new thing? Now I'm calling them old fashioned...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

jar
November 21st, 2013, 01:12 PM
I will summarize the videos before this thread goes somewhere silly. (You smell! No, *you* smell!)

Doc brown has received some criticism for bias in his reviews, with some people basically accusing him of having a quid pro quo relationship with pen companies. He came out with a video defending himself. Gandmia then came out with a video supporting Stephen.

Incidentally, I, too, find I prefer text and photograph reviews. I also find videos slow and frustrating... I find myself thinking: get on with it!

The only pen videos I watch are the ones that aren't about pens so much as about the people.

I should say for my taste, Dan seems to have found the sweet spot for video pacing in his reviews. But I still prefer the good old fashioned awesome review. Gosh, remember when the awesome reviews were the new thing? Now I'm calling them old fashioned...

Now see how easy that was?

Thank you.

Now that I know what the topic was about I guess I'm no closer to knowing why we should unite. People do reviews. Some folk do reviews as a profession.

But it's fountain pens folk, just fountain pens. If someone is getting perks to say nice things about a product, it's still just fountain pens.

I can't imagine anyone being swayed to buy an object based on what any of us say and even if that were true; it's just fountain pens folk.

Come on!

grandmia
November 22nd, 2013, 08:51 AM

Now see how easy that was?

Thank you.

Now that I know what the topic was about I guess I'm no closer to knowing why we should unite. People do reviews. Some folk do reviews as a profession.

But it's fountain pens folk, just fountain pens. If someone is getting perks to say nice things about a product, it's still just fountain pens.

I can't imagine anyone being swayed to buy an object based on what any of us say and even if that were true; it's just fountain pens folk.

Come on!
Hi Jar
That is precisely my own sentiment in the video, who cares. Its all a bit of fun...Glad you agree. Cancel the unite bit.
Thank you for your comments.

Flounder
November 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM
Wow, just a few weeks without broadband & you sure miss a lot. Looks like I've some catching up to do.