PDA

View Full Version : Who can fix a cork piston filler in the US?

spotted and speckled
October 30th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I've been sending them to Ron Zorn, but is there anyone else I should try? A lot of people don't work on them.

tandaina
October 30th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Joel Hamilton, hands down. http://www.ink-pen.com/

They have quick turn around, do lovely work. And he won't stop until it's right. They've done one piston filler for me, did a lovely job. I sent him another pen that disintegrated in his hands (known issues with this particular color and pattern) and he's going so far as to build a whole new section for the thing and joining it to the barrel. They've been lovely to deal with (his sister as well) and very quick turn around compared to Ron (who is also great, but loooong wait.)

spotted and speckled
November 2nd, 2013, 06:08 PM
Sent him a Pelikan, 2 Soenneckens (one of which I think may have a fatal injury from it's previous owner), and a mystery pen with a fabulous nib that was sold to be by a usually reputable pen person. It was supposed to be a Soennecken (it's not) in working condition (not for me it hasn't). Three of them should be recorks, and the 4th needs an overhaul and a possible barrel repair at the least. Joel wrote me back to say that he can put in neoprene or rubber seals, which can adhere to the walls of the barrel better, esp if the barrel isn't entirely smooth anymore. Thinking that through--that may be the reason why a few of my cork fillers have leaked out the back.

tandaina
November 2nd, 2013, 08:53 PM
Don't you love those "working" pens that just plain aren't. :(

Hope Joel gets them all fixed up for you! :)

Chi Town
November 4th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Joel Hamilton, hands down. http://www.ink-pen.com/

They have quick turn around, do lovely work. And he won't stop until it's right. They've done one piston filler for me, did a lovely job. I sent him another pen that disintegrated in his hands (known issues with this particular color and pattern) and he's going so far as to build a whole new section for the thing and joining it to the barrel. They've been lovely to deal with (his sister as well) and very quick turn around compared to Ron (who is also great, but loooong wait.)

I too have sent Joel some pens for repair, the latest of which was a cork filler and he did a magnificent job!

Mori45
November 8th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Not that it works for every cork pen (and certainly not for purists), but I've used o-rings on Pelikans and Soenneckens with great results. So long as you have access to a a decent hardware store and a bit of silicone grease, you can do the repair yourself in no time.

Michael McNeil
November 9th, 2013, 06:31 PM
I started out working on my own pens for, for myself and for resale, for four years before I would even consider working on pens for other people. Then I did custom vintage pen restoration for sixteen years and stopped in 2009, so that I could concentrate on pens for resale and my personal collection. I still get 1 to 4 requests a week to work on other people's pens, so I refer most everyone to Sherrell Tyree or her Brother Joel Hamilton. I have done a couple of repair seminars with them at pens shows. I know they are honest and reliable and do very good pen work, and I know I can trust them. Ron Zorn does nice pen work, too.

I used to work on Sheaffer's rod/plunger fill pens, but they can be difficult to work on and sometimes stubborn to get them to fill, with the parts I used to use. Sherrell has developed a way to replace the packing units at the back end and has a good success rate at getting them to fill properly. So I now send the rod fill Sheaffer's to her.

Joel gets to work on my European twist/piston fillers, like Pelikans, Montblancs, Kawecos, etc. He has the expertise and the plunger head parts (modern materials and cork) and does a great job on them. If they happen to have major problems that cannot be overcome and impossible to fix, he lets me know as soon as he makes the discovery. I think that has only happened a couple of times, but it was the pen not Joel's ability. He has one of my pens right now and I have an old Pelikan I need to send him, that I don't think he can fix, but there is only one way to find out.

Hey! If you can't give your friends high recommendations, who can you recommend? :)

Michael