PDA

View Full Version : The More things Change...

John the Monkey
March 8th, 2012, 08:13 AM
The handwriting of the current generation is abominable, writes the complainant.

The cause? New fangled steel pens, according to a 150 year old article decrying the vicissitudes of the then modern technology, found over at the Quo Vadis blog: http://quovadisblog.com/2012/03/07/the-150-year-old-complaint

Ordinal
March 8th, 2012, 08:53 AM
The British Museum has Sumerian tablets in cuneiform bemoaning the move from traditional wooden to trendy stone implements amongst the youth. Probably.

peterpen53
March 10th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Complainant would have been right even if he/she had written this yesterday. The 'handwriting' some people present these days is quite often outright terrible, to use a decent expression. I would wager that two or three generations after us will not know how to write anymore, at least not legibly.

Cheers,
Peter

Tracy Lee
March 11th, 2012, 04:25 PM
<heart sinks>

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

John the Monkey
March 12th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Complainant would have been right even if he/she had written this yesterday. The 'handwriting' some people present these days is quite often outright terrible, to use a decent expression. I would wager that two or three generations after us will not know how to write anymore, at least not legibly.

It was ever thus though, surely?

A sample of two, admittedly, but my daughter has wonderful writing, my son seems to be heading for a career in medicine[1] :)

[1] In the UK, it's a staple of comedy that Doctor's handwriting is illegible - I think that's been the case for as long as I can remember!

KrazyIvan
March 12th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I heard of talks that a new law was being proposed to make doctors write legibly.

Maja
March 12th, 2012, 01:01 PM
The British Museum has Sumerian tablets in cuneiform bemoaning the move from traditional wooden to trendy stone implements amongst the youth. Probably.

:D :D Lol!

peterpen53
March 12th, 2012, 05:26 PM
[1] In the UK, it's a staple of comedy that Doctor's handwriting is illegible - I think that's been the case for as long as I can remember!

In the Netherlands that's not only a staple of comedy. I have more than once wondered how it could be possible that my pharmacist handed me the medicine my doctor had indeed prescribed. It can't be because he could read what was on the recipe.
Congratulations on your daughter's writing. Please encourage her to keep it up.

Cheers,
Peter

Ordinal
March 15th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I converted a doctor friend of mine to the use of a Capless Decimo, which she seems to like using with Pelikan Violet. So I may not have contributed to the legibility of notes in the NHS, but at least they'll be an illegible scrawl in purple.