PDA

View Full Version : Parker Sonnet Chiselled Tartan Fountain Pen....Or Is It ???

grandmia
November 1st, 2013, 02:48 PM
Hi all...Take a mooch at this Parker Sonnet fountain pen....Or is it ?

http://youtu.be/Koc_z9IrNg4

Bogon07
November 1st, 2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks for another informative video.

I've had a look at my Sonnet. It has the stylised "P" logo on the cap band and nib, similar to that on your Chinese fakes nib.
Sonnet & France appear together on the cap band with France and the date letter directly under Sonnet. The writing is finely incised into the metal not obviously engraved like the fakes. The feathering on the clip is also much finer and noticeably sharper and narrower at either end of the stroke.

The gold nib on mine is mainly a silver colour with two gold inverted 'V's. I recall seeing that Parker did issue a variety of nibs with the Sonnets.

My converter has Parker incised into the metal near the winding screw.

The ellipse & arrow logo doesn't appear on my pen, box or paperwork only the stylised "P".

Mine doesn't write in Chinese nor French for that matter. :(

I've seen discussions that the Chinese copies often write just as well as the actual Parker for a fraction of the cost.

cedargirl
November 2nd, 2013, 12:27 AM
Thanks Steph. Great video.

For those who are interested, there's some photos on captainchangdotcom that shows that you can get very good fake nibs on these fake Sonnets too.

kaisnowbird
November 2nd, 2013, 01:47 AM
Great video and very entertaining. I think these fakes look just too gaudy and cheap on the outside and that nib and feed are the real giveaways.

Just in case anyone is wondering, the Chinese label at the bottom of the box says (rough translation):

Parker existing models and places of manufacture:
[list of models, first row] France
[second row] UK, Thailand, Taiwan
[third row] Dongguan China
[PS. Dongguan is a city in Canton/Guangzhou Province]

[list of codes for product quality standard]

Quantity: 1
Company: Shanghai Parker Pen Co Ltd
Address: 696 Lian Ming Rd, Pu Dong, Shanghai
[It's a real address, which belongs to the Shanghai Razor Blade Co Ltd.]

Telephone: 800-820-3988

Warning: Package contains sharp objects. Please store in places where children cannot reach. The cap of the pen may block respiratory functions, please do not place it in the mouth.

Date of Manufacturer: February 2013
Product Warranty Period:
ballpoint pen 2 years; fountain pen 2 years; Parker 5th Pen 2 years; roller ball pen 2 years (unless made in Dongguan); Dongguan-made roller ball pen 1 year.
[what about mechanical pencils? :p]

There is also the inset box on the right that says "Quality Control Pass, Inspector No. 1".

:pound:

maksim
November 2nd, 2013, 04:54 PM
Wow. Did not know they would fake a sonnet.

So... what is off. As in the video, the outer box, should be a sleeve, white sleeve, not a box with a tab.

The instruction is not a thin flippy book, but rather that sheet that is folded into itself.
Box itself is different, wider, with the felt material instead of the cheapo type in the video.
The outside of box, the logo is a bit embossed as opposed to just printed on the box.

grandmia
November 8th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Thank you all for your comments and input...