PDA

View Full Version : Formal Italic example

caliken
November 1st, 2013, 04:20 PM
This example of Formal Italic was written with a Manuscript Fountain pen fitted with an edged nib and filled with Parker Quink black ink.

snedwos
November 3rd, 2013, 04:30 PM
Why does italic continue to elude me? I find it so hard! Blackletter and uncial/foundational are easy enough, copperplate I can fudge reasonably well, but my italic is just all over the place. It is very upsetting. Because it's so attractive when done well, and so terrible when I do it.

caliken
November 4th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Why does italic continue to elude me? I find it so hard! Blackletter and uncial/foundational are easy enough, copperplate I can fudge reasonably well, but my italic is just all over the place. It is very upsetting. Because it's so attractive when done well, and so terrible when I do it.

When I'm learning a new style of lettering, I always use the same approach which has served me well over the years.

Locate the best exemplar you can find of the full alphabet and preferably, a piece of text as well. Enlarge the lettering by photocopying to at least an x height of 1/2" - preferably larger. Study it to determine the subtleties which go towards making it attractive and legible. Trace it several times with a dry nib. If repeated often enough, the brain is capable of remembering the exact movements necessary to create any specific shape. Referring constantly to the exemplar, write a small passage at the same size. Then compare your writing with the exemplar in the minutest detail. Really look at it. Check all and every subtlety of the stroke movements which give the style its characteristic identity. This concentrated study will produce steady improvement with each attempt at writing the style.

Once you are producing reasonably accurate results, write out the entire alphabet. Check the letters which look OK and mentally put them to one side. Write out the remaining letters over and over, gradually eliminating the good ones until you are left with perhaps two or three letters which subbornly refuse to look right. Spend as long as it takes, writing these letters over and over again, until, at last, the entire style looks good and is added to your repertoire. It's important that, during this learning process, you don't waste time writing out that which is already good. Concentrate on the weak letters, bringing them up to the level of the others. Then spend some time on combinations of letters, studying the subtleties of good spacing and the positioning of ligatures, if used. At the end of all this, you will be able to write out anything you want, without any hang up about specific letters or combination of letters.

As an example, here is a short piece of writing in the very personal style of Louis Madarasz. I used exactly the process outlined above, to learn this exacting, unique style. There is nothing magical about any of this. You don't even need to be artistic or naturally talented. With a steady hand, all that is required is the ability to study closely and the patience to learn. As this can undoubtedly be a tedious process, it is imperative that you really want to do it!

Good luck!

Ken

Oblique and Inky
November 4th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Ken

Did Italic script develop from Uncial with the development of metal nibs? Or am I going down the wrong cul-de-sac of assumption?

cedargirl
November 4th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Ken, I've always admired your texts that you post, but can I also add a special thank you for firstly providing info on the pen/ink/paper you used and now the useful instructions above.

That is very helpful. It's so much common sense, but it is not what I have been doing in my pursuit of learning calligraphy. I think it will help a lot. You have made me hungry to recommence my slow path of learning.

I am so pleased you are here.

caliken
November 6th, 2013, 02:52 AM
Italic script originated in the 1500s but metal nibs weren't invented until c.1800

Ken

I like mango pudding
November 7th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Ken, I've been practising my italic styles for some time. I too photocopied some exemplars and started using vellum paper as an overlay to trace my letters. The only exemplars I found quickly and easily are those stock ones found in Microsoft Word. I like Lucida Calligraphy, but I don't like a few of the letter formations.

As a side note, is it imperative that I have my letters formed the same way as an exemplar? What if I don't like the way how a particular letter is formed. Can I form it MY way instead?

I also found the miniscule much more satisfying in writing out than the uppercase letters. I'm still having some difficulty in getting those down properly.

subramaniyam
November 7th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Ken is the image the actual size of the writing? Awesome work!

regards,
Sub

caliken
November 8th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Ken is the image the actual size of the writing? Awesome work!

regards,
Sub

The original lettering was fractionally larger than the size shown.

Ken

caliken
November 8th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Ken, I've been practising my italic styles for some time. I too photocopied some exemplars and started using vellum paper as an overlay to trace my letters. The only exemplars I found quickly and easily are those stock ones found in Microsoft Word. I like Lucida Calligraphy, but I don't like a few of the letter formations.

As a side note, is it imperative that I have my letters formed the same way as an exemplar? What if I don't like the way how a particular letter is formed. Can I form it MY way instead?

This is my own handwritten Italic exemplar.

In answer to your question; of all styles of writing, Italic is perhaps the most easily adapted to become one's own handwriting.
I suggest learning the basic style first, and then when it looks about right, experiment with your own modifications thereby creating your own personal, Italic handwriting.

Here are some examples of personal modifications of the Italic style. In 2002, The Society for Italic Handwriting published a restrospective look at Italic Handwriting. I have written out a few of the examples, here. (I didn't use the originals as I have no wish to infringe copyright).

A popular misconception is that it is necessary to use an edged nib to write Italic. As you can see, the majority of these examples were written with an ordinary round-tipped nib. The strength of the Italic style (which has remained virtually unchanged for hundreds of years) lies in the basic structure and not necessarily in the type of nib used.

Ken

Pterodactylus
November 22nd, 2013, 04:19 AM

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your fantastic posts.

Is there a complete alphabet available online to look up for this awesome script?

countrydirt
November 22nd, 2013, 07:11 AM
I could look at these all day!

caliken
November 22nd, 2013, 04:31 PM
Pterodactylus :

If you go to www.IAMPETH.com and search for "The Madarasz Book" you can download and print off a free copy. It contains examples and the full alphabet