PDA

View Full Version : A Journal Journey

rberg6868
November 2nd, 2013, 06:04 PM
I started journalling in a serious way 5 years ago and I thought it would be interesting to look back at my experience and at the books that I used. I have filled 12 journals and I have found that a few words or pages written in a book do not give me a good idea of the nature and capabilities of the journal. I really only feel like I know a book until I have filled it with words.

All of the journals that I have used have been A6 size or smaller, (3.5”x5”). I found that I was much more likely to write if the book was with me during every part of my day. I carry a bag with me all of the time and an A6 book fits nicely inside of it. I started out not knowing anything about fountain pens and paper and picked up a Moleskine because it was available at my local bookstore. I also ordered a Duke fountain pen on eBay from China. In the beginning the routine of writing was very important for me and I stuck with my Moleskine/Duke combination for 2.5 years as I filled my first 6 books. I used Parker Quink either blue or black, at first out of a cartridge and then later from a converter.

At the time I wasn’t really aware of the possibilities for paper, ink and pens and even though there was substantial ghosting and a fair bit bleed through I just kept going. About the middle of 2011 I was becoming unhappy with my Duke pen and I stumbled across a Parker 51 and my obsession with pens began.

I started buying notebooks as well, far more than I was using and my first non-Moleskine book was a Zequenz. It was an interesting book and it opened up to me the world of better paper. The Zequenz had a fantastic binding and was much smoother than I was used to.

I also started to do simple sketches, and maps into my journal and found it to be an interesting way to add to my books. I also began to be interested in bookbinding and the idea of being able to make and bind my own notebook had a huge appeal to me.

I watched some Youtube tutorials, including a fantastically interesting old Italian bookbinder who narrated the whole thing in Italian but showed everything so clearly that I was able to make my own sewing frame and make my own book. It was very satisfying to be able to choose the paper, the binding, the cover, sew it, glue it, and then fill it with words.

I started to realize that I wanted to experience more books, more paper so I started to write on just one side of each leaf of paper so that I could get through the book faster and on to the next one. My pen collection continued to grow and I kept pushing through each journal, writing more fiction, journalling, drawing but always driven by the wonderfully aesthetic experience of feeling the words start in my brain, flow down my arm and out on to the page as ink became the life blood of my imagination. There was always a thrill of discovery as the new combinations of pens, ink, paper produced new and wonderful textures and writing experiences.

Lately I have discovered the joy of Japanese paper and the Midori MD notebook may be as close to perfect as it gets for me. It is such a simple and beautiful book with amazing paper. There isn’t much I dislike about it. The cover is plain white card stock and I was concerned about the durability after it had spent a month or two in my purse but perhaps that is a part of the charm of it all. Even though it is beaten and damaged and folded and stained the notebook becomes so much more because the experiences it has shared with me.

The binding is exposed mull, (bookbinding fabric) and the cover has a simple and subtle MD Paper logo stamped into the middle of the left side of the front cover. I liked it enough to stumble my way through a Japanese website with some very unorthodox ordering procedures so that I could order a pack of 5 of them.

I did decide to buy a leather cover that Midori makes for these journals, not cheap but it is A6 sized so any journal of that size that I buy will fit in there. (Right now, I have an Apica Premium CD notebook in there.) The leather for this cover is absolutely wonderful. So soft and smooth with just the right thickness to be durable without being bulky. There is a pen loop inside the back cover but I do not use it for that.

So that’s it 175,00 words and 5 years of journalling. I would encourage you all to keep writing. I have found that looking back at my words from the past to be a revealing and interesting experience that draws to mind much of what I have forgotten and clarifies much of what I once was so sure of. Of all of the habits/hobbies that I have gotten myself into, this one has paid off with wonderful value.

Tracy Lee
November 2nd, 2013, 06:57 PM
This was a fantastic read. Best story I have heard in a long time. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

jacksterp
November 2nd, 2013, 07:37 PM
Inspirational!

What a delightful thread and informative to boot.

Many times I find myself too concerned with the overall performance of the pen-ink-paper result instead of just enjoying the experience. Thanks for the reminder to "just do it."

writingrav
November 3rd, 2013, 05:24 AM
Terrific post and great story. I, too, am an inveterate journaler. I use mostly A5 notebooks that fit easily into my backpack. I have about 5 years worth but never find time to read them. Figured I would do that this year on my next birthday.