PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Lamy piston fillers?

Jimmy James
March 11th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I own two Lamy Ratios and two Lamy 99s. The interesting thing is that one of the 99s is much bigger than the other pens but the other 99 is essentially exactly the same size as the Ratios I own. One each of my ratios and 99s have plastic cap with screw action and the other two have metal caps with click action.

Who else owns fabulous vintage Lamy pistons and does anybody know anything about these pens? This is the question I have been waiting to ask at a certain other forum without a Lamy area. :)

dgator
March 14th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I own two Lamy Ratios and two Lamy 99s. The interesting thing is that one of the 99s is much bigger than the other pens but the other 99 is essentially exactly the same size as the Ratios I own. One each of my ratios and 99s have plastic cap with screw action and the other two have metal caps with click action.

Who else owns fabulous vintage Lamy pistons and does anybody know anything about these pens? This is the question I have been waiting to ask at a certain other forum without a Lamy area. :)

I own a Lamy 99 with a medium nib. The Lamy 99 is essentially a cheaper version of the Lamy 27.

Here is a link to some good information...
http://sites.google.com/site/myu701/lamy27

Tortoise
May 30th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I have two magnificent Lamy 27/31 models with sweet stubbish 14k Medium nibs. I wouldn't trade them for the world. I got them NOS from Karl Barndt. I had a pair of 99's and a Ratio, but unfortunately decided to sell them to raise a bit of money. The two 27's will never leave me. I also have two vintage Lamy 27 nibs in both my 2000's, and love them just as much. Far superior to the newer nibs. Springy/Flexy and Fun!

kenmc
July 11th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I own two Lamy Ratios and two Lamy 99s. The interesting thing is that one of the 99s is much bigger than the other pens . :)
Jimmy, are there any letters/numbers that would help find/identify the difference in your 99's? My 99 is pretty much the same size as my 27. I would love to have one of the larger models. I bought mine from Karl and I just love the way it writes! A larger diameter would make it just about perfect!

FP_GaF
July 11th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I own a Lamy 27 30-EF. Very nice pen and in top condition even after sixty something years of use (by previous owners). It is actually not too dissimilar from the Lamy 2000. In fact, I believe you can see the influence from the 27 on the 2000. I think the 27 was the direct predicessor to the Lamy 2000 but please correct me if I'm wrong.

PointyThings
July 13th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Yes, the Lamy 27 was the direct predecessor of the 2000. They share the same nib, feed, and piston design.

PointyThings
July 13th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Jimmy, are there any letters/numbers that would help find/identify the difference in your 99's? My 99 is pretty much the same size as my 27. I would love to have one of the larger models. I bought mine from Karl and I just love the way it writes! A larger diameter would make it just about perfect!

The larger versions of the 99 and 27 with the rounded barrel ends ceased production in 1962. These pens were numbered 27e (plastic cap), 27n (metal cap), 99e (plastic cap), 99Ce (chrome metal cap) and used an earlier version of the nib and feed that are incompatible with the 2000.

The slimmer versions with the squared off barrel ends were introduced in 1962. The 27 series used a second number for cap material/finish: 30 (plastic), 31 (brushed chrome) or 32 (gold filled). The 99 series had second numbers of 36 (plastic) or 37 (shiny or brushed chrome). I've not seen a 99/38, which would be a 99 with a gold-filled cap. Given their status as a model just below the 27, it makes sense that Lamy didn't produce a 99 with a gold-filled cap.

The final 27 series (introduced in 1965 or 66 -- I'm not certain on the date) featured a profile very much like the 2000.

The Ratio was introduced in 1962 or 63. Initially it used the same barrel and plastic cap molds as the fatter 27 and 99 models, but with a section that only accepted the later nib and feed design that IS compatible with later 27 and 99 models and the 2000. Later Ratio models had a more squared off barrel design like the post-1962 27 and 99 pens.