PDA

View Full Version : A bit of fun with Uncial Script

caliken
November 6th, 2013, 05:52 AM
On impulse, with a little time to spare to play with my pens, I wrote out the names of 58 of my favourite pianists in Uncial Script in no particular order - just as I thought of them. I wrote in one continuous string with no spaces between names, breaking the names at the end of each line as necessary. I wanted to see what sort of overall pattern would emerge and it was really just for fun. (Coincidentally, it was good practice).
I eventually stopped when the end of a name coincided with the end of a line.

Ken

AndyT
November 6th, 2013, 06:03 AM
That looks wonderful; strangely my first thought was that the effect is rather like Rudolf Koch's dense black letter work.

caliken
November 6th, 2013, 06:25 AM
I see what you mean!

Ken

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
November 6th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Gorgeous!

I like mango pudding
November 6th, 2013, 06:43 PM
are you sure you are not a computer???/

everything is so uniform

Robert
November 6th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Your taste in pianists is similar to mine: about evenly divided between classical and jazz artists. Just out of curiosity, about how long did it take to pen the uncial script in your original post?

caliken
November 7th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Your taste in pianists is similar to mine: about evenly divided between classical and jazz artists. Just out of curiosity, about how long did it take to pen the uncial script in your original post?

I didn't time it, but I suppose it took about an hour. As I said, it was on impulse and I just wrote the names as I thought of them. I chose Uncial because the lines can be placed so close together.

Ken

Toulouse
December 30th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Wow....very nice work.

WirlWind
January 1st, 2014, 02:18 AM
That actually looks like something you could frame and put up on a wall and people would ask you where you bought it and how much it was.

mboschm
January 14th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Nice work Ken. Nice to find you here.