PDA

View Full Version : Veni, Vidi, VAC FIL!

fountainpenkid
March 12th, 2012, 01:49 PM
forenote:(my latin teacher would love me for this title!)

Well,
WHAT a weekend at the Long Island Pen Show!!!!
It was both my dad's and my first pen show, and god, we had a lot of fun (though I now know what dan and eric mean about getting tired...)

So I stopped by Paul Erano's table, and I asked him if he had the OMAS Dama I had wanted... and then we got talking--he showed me his parts bin, and low and behold, he gave me a Parker Duofold Junior in green celluloid for FREE! Of course, I have to restore the pen.....I'll post the progress so far ( I need sac sealant though.)
So, you thought that getting a nice restorable $70 pen for free was nice, right? Well, I walked by the Junk Bin, (I don't know who's table it actually was), and next to the big pile of c%$@, I saw a little sheaffer box. I opened it up, and found a BEAUTIFUL green triumph with a vac filler crest model and in really good condition. So I asked someone (I will regret forgetting his name :o) about it, and after a bit of talking, he picked it up, and said, "here. take it!" Now THATS a deal! and a very generous collector!) So then, I figured out that the filler was broken :( But then, I gave it to Ron Zorn to repair! So for $45 (the price of the repair) I got two great pens! What an amazing show and very nice people!

Then I talked to richard binder about how to reapair the Duofold...he (obviously) gave great advice! My dad spent most of the time with susan wirth, who knocked some sense into him by clarifying that 30 Platigunum school pens is no amazing collection! He also talked to a guy named Daniel who focuses on '30's sheaffers (balance) and has a couple of vintage Gibson guitairs (both my dad and I love music and instruments, so it was a cool connection.) And I played a Ukulele right at the end--Ian K. (the guy who ran the postcard class) had a little Martin S-O and I played a couple tunes on it--I was strumming near Richard's table and he says, "Will, I think I hate you. You can play that thing!" (I assume that he's tried to play guitair or uke and failed..)

Anyway, it was a WONDERFUL time!!! I'll make it an annual thing!

AndyLa
March 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM
You were talking to richard when he was grinding my pen :P. Richard is such an awesome guy, very funny. So you got that lovely sheaffer for free? What a find! Will PM me your address and I'll send you a little bottle of shellac for the restoration. Did you have a chance to talk to Terry? He is another awesome guy, talked to him for quite a while. He let me play with his personal pens- one of which is a fabulous to die for buttery smooth flexy Aurora 88. Learned a lot from him- that the metal cap sheaffers had the white dot on the body- which you later learned from Richard Binder.

I was surprised how the vendors let you walk half across the room to try out the pen! It was very cool and easy going. Had a lot of fun :P. Can't forget playing with inks.

fountainpenkid
March 13th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Yeah, terry sold me another nice little vac fill, but I'll get it once ron has restored it. I also talked to terry about my Project Pen idea, which he really liked! Yes, the inks! my dad has some random purpule in his p75 that he filled at the show....maybe you guys will be able to figure out which ink it is......

I was suprised that they let me do that also...I wasn't trying it out though, I was showing it to my dad who was friously working at the ink table....

Jon Szanto
March 13th, 2012, 03:38 PM
My first pen show was in LA a few weeks before, and I also got a chance to meet and chat with Paul E. What a class individual, as evidenced by his pen gift. I can see that pen shows are going to be regular events in my future...

fountainpenkid
March 13th, 2012, 04:51 PM
L.A is quite the show, and had I gone there, I probably never would have come out ;)

I (might) go to the D.C show if I can convince my parents to make it their birthday gift to me :)