PDA

View Full Version : Namiki Falcon tweak?

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
November 6th, 2013, 06:17 PM
It doesn't really need a repair, as it's almost new, but I've always planned to have the nib customized. I used to have contact info for a man that was highly recommended and of course I've lost it. I need to nib a bit finer and a bit more flexible...suggestions please?

I like mango pudding
November 6th, 2013, 06:42 PM
john mottishaw does that kind of work.

jacksterp
November 6th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Richard Binder should be able to help.

Carole
November 6th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Do you happen to know Jane Farr? (Her calligraphy site is 'A Place to Flourish." )

She posted before and after samples when she had her Falcon modified and she was very happy with it. Greg Minuskin did the work.

Here's the post if you want to ask her about it: http://janefarr.blogspot.com/2012/10/flourish-friday-fountain-pen-follow-up.html

AndyT
November 7th, 2013, 02:00 AM
In a similar vein to Carole's link, here's a comparison between a stock Falcon and one modified by John Mottishaw:

Comparison between Namiki Falcon and Mottishaw’s Spencerian Falcon (http://openinkstand.tumblr.com/post/41024710159/comparison-between-namiki-falcon-and-mottishaws).

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
November 7th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Do you happen to know Jane Farr? (Her calligraphy site is 'A Place to Flourish." )

She posted before and after samples when she had her Falcon modified and she was very happy with it. Greg Minuskin did the work.

Here's the post if you want to ask her about it: http://janefarr.blogspot.com/2012/10/flourish-friday-fountain-pen-follow-up.html

Thanks, Carole, that was nice to see...I draw with my pens, and the thick-and-thin line is definitely what I'm after.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
November 7th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Richard Binder should be able to help. Do you happen to have a link? I'd not heard of his work...

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
November 7th, 2013, 06:54 AM
john mottishaw does that kind of work. Thanks, that's the one I was thinking of, but I remember hearing about Greg Minuskin, too...I'll check around! It's time to start USING this pen!

jde
November 7th, 2013, 09:45 AM

Jack, Sadly, Richard doesn't do nib modifications anymore UNLESS you are buying the pen from him, or seeing him at a pen show.

It's my understanding Cathy already has the pen and is seeking to have it modified.

Mottishaw has a sixth month wait time unless you're buying the pen from him (then it's pretty darn quick). Minuskin is quick.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
November 7th, 2013, 10:47 AM

Jack, Sadly, Richard doesn't do nib modifications anymore UNLESS you are buying the pen from him, or seeing him at a pen show.

It's my understanding Cathy already has the pen and is seeking to have it modified.

Mottishaw has a sixth month wait time unless you're buying the pen from him (then it's pretty darn quick). Minuskin is quick.

Thanks very much, that's helpful! I've been reading the links, and noticing that the nib becomes scratchier as it's tweaked, according to several of the sites. I have one scratchy-but-wonderful vintage Sheaffer, but I'm not always great with a scratchy nib, love smooooth. Still weighing!

jacksterp
November 8th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Cathy - Sorry for the bad advise. Sat in front of Richard at the local pen show this summer while he worked his magic on a Falcon for me. Thought he was available for others.

You could always sell your Falcon and get another from him...

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
November 8th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Cathy - Sorry for the bad advise. Sat in front of Richard at the local pen show this summer while he worked his magic on a Falcon for me. Thought he was available for others.

You could always sell your Falcon and get another from him...

No big deal, Jackstep! I'm still thinking about it. That would be FUN to get to watch a tweak...