PDA

View Full Version : Uncomfortable blast from the past

yipe
November 7th, 2013, 02:30 AM
I told a story in my very first post on this wonderful message board, about my first fountain pen. I'll retell it because why not?

It was a decade or so ago, and I had just started at university. I picked up a cheap cartridge filling fountain pen somewhere and was excited to use it. I went to meet my adviser for the first time, and he had some forms for me to sign, I reached into my bag, pulled out my new pen, and tried to write. Nothing. I tried again, nothing. I said, aloud mind you, "stupid fountain pen!" and unscrewed the section. I slapped my own forehead when I saw what was wrong. I hadn't put in the cartridge! My adviser handed me a Bic ballpoint, and defeated, I signed the papers.

Later, I heard him talking to some other students, and he's proudly telling them about his fountain pen hobby. I was so embarrassed. I was embarrassed to have been unable to work a simple cartridge pen, and even more embarrassed when I found out that that had happened in front of a collector! Honestly the embarrassment kept me away from fountain pens for many years.

Today I was looking around at inexpensive pens online and something caught my eye. It looked so familiar, I had to take a closer look. It was a Parker Reflex, not a pen I was familiar with and really really inexpensive. Why did it look so familliar? Then the realization hit me. It was the pen that had embarrassed me all those years ago. I noped out of there and closed that tab.

I knew eventually I'd run into that pen again. Now the circle of humiliation and discomfort is complete. I wonder if I still have that pen around somewhere, or if it got lost in my college days. I'd love to put a cartridge in it and write my name just once.

MisterBoll
November 7th, 2013, 03:11 AM
Ah.............the joys of Mercury Retrograde. It is so until 10 November.

Just in case -

When Mercury is Retrograde

Sometimes the other planets appear to be traveling backward through the zodiac; this is an illusion. We call this illusion retrograde motion.

Mercury's retrograde periods can cause our plans to go awry. However, this is an excellent time to reflect on the past. Intuition is high during these periods, and coincidences can be extraordinary.

When Mercury is retrograde, remain flexible, allow time for extra travel, and avoid signing contracts. Review projects and plans at these times, but wait until Mercury is direct again to make any final decisions.

kaisnowbird
November 7th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Why would any self respecting fountain pen collector offer someone else a Bic ballpoint, of all the non-FPs out there? :crazy:

Sailor Kenshin
November 7th, 2013, 05:30 AM
The Reflex is actually not bad. A little cheap and plasticky, but the section is comfy to hold and it writes well.

yipe
November 7th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Why would any self respecting fountain pen collector offer someone else a Bic ballpoint, of all the non-FPs out there? :crazy:

I interpret it as an insult. He was saying "here kid, this is more your level."

But then I'm paranoid like that.

tandaina
November 7th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Hah! :P Good story. I've done something similar with my purse pen, me who says FPs are the BEST and then whips out a pen that I forgot I haven't touched in three weeks and all the ink has evaporated. Dang!

snedwos
November 7th, 2013, 09:10 AM

Because Bic ballpoints are actually really good. They put all other ballpoints to shame by being cheaper, lasting longer, looking good (when new -- that doesn't last)' and Never Drying Out even years after the cap has been lost or chewed beyond recognition.

I have two criteria: a) I'm using it because the fountain pens have failed me, so it had better just work. B) I had better not have spent fountain pen money on it.

Bic cristals fit that bill beautifully. And, you know, they do have an aesthetic appeal, at least to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

MisterBoll
November 7th, 2013, 10:19 AM

I interpret it as an insult. He was saying "here kid, this is more your level."

But then I'm paranoid like that.

I don't think there is any need to be insulted by this. It was a signature for something - that's it.
If it would have been on a big ship and was to end a war - perhaps a nice fountain pen was due.

You should also take this opportunity to look at this event and let it go. It's obviously not serving any good purpose.

AndyT
November 7th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Bic ballpoints are actually really good.

I'll go along with that. The yellow ones are deservedly very popular with industrial designers for layout work. Not something I'd particularly want to write with, but credit where it's due.

kaisnowbird
November 8th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Sorry about my judgmental tone. :redface: I guess I really felt for Yipe, especially after finding out that the person is a fountain pen user himself. Com'on, he could've been a bit more sensitive.

If I had to carry a ballpoint,:banplease: I use my Caran d'Ache Office in white. It's solidly built, compact, reliable, aesthetically pleasing (to me), somewhat inexpensive and the white colour does not attract unnecessary attention. The only downside is: it's not a lot of fun to write with.

snedwos
November 9th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Sorry about my judgmental tone. :redface: I guess I really felt for Yipe, especially after finding out that the person is a fountain pen user himself. Com'on, he could've been a bit more sensitive.

If I had to carry a ballpoint,:banplease: I use my Caran d'Ache Office in white. It's solidly built, compact, reliable, aesthetically pleasing (to me), somewhat inexpensive and the white colour does not attract unnecessary attention. The only downside is: it's not a lot of fun to write with.

Which is why I prefer to buy the fountain version, and then the however-many cents the Bic cristal costs.

wayne.robinson
November 10th, 2013, 01:16 AM
I have to admit, the Bic Crystals (medium), really are the best ballpoints on the market. The Pilots, with the oil-based inks flow better, but they take a long, long time before they stop smudging like crazy.

It annoys me my bank has switched out Bic Crystals for some a Staples own-brand pen that writes scratchy, thready lines.

I really need to find a decent fountain pen it feel OK with keeping in my pants pocket with my phone since shirts don't seem to come with pockets anymore.

snedwos
November 10th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I have to admit, the Bic Crystals (medium), really are the best ballpoints on the market. The Pilots, with the oil-based inks flow better, but they take a long, long time before they stop smudging like crazy.

It annoys me my bank has switched out Bic Crystals for some a Staples own-brand pen that writes scratchy, thready lines.

I really need to find a decent fountain pen it feel OK with keeping in my pants pocket with my phone since shirts don't seem to come with pockets anymore.

I clip to my collar, sometimes. Lamy, best bet, I would guess.

wayne.robinson
November 11th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Lamy isn't the worst choice. I'm concerned with slip caps in my pocket though.

kaisnowbird
November 11th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I recently had my Sheaffer Snorkel uncap itself in my trousers' pocket despite being a threaded cap. Luckily, I haven't seen a stain.

Ernst Bitterman
November 19th, 2013, 09:48 AM

I've ordered some shirts from iTailor.com, and they not only have a pocket, there's a little pen-holder sewn inside the pocket, big enough to accept Duofolds of all ages and TWSBI Vac 700s-- almost anything that expects to be taken out in a pocket. I'm pretty happy with them.