PDA

View Full Version : Quick Handwritten Ink Review: Noodler’s 54th Massachusetts

heath
November 9th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Close Ups Here: http://penpaperinkletter.com/quick-handwritten-ink-review-noodlers-54th-massachusetts/

Goldfish
November 9th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the review, very nice blue black!!

The Good Captain
November 10th, 2013, 01:48 AM
I've not used my bottle nearly as much as I should do. A good blue-black and much underrated. Nice review too!

Mags
November 10th, 2013, 04:14 PM
I am trying to find uses for my free bottle from Goulet's. It is a bit hard starting in my Ahab Pearl. I don't trust it in other pens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Tracy Lee
November 10th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I just put a sizeable sample of this through my Dolce Vita oversized eyedropper, mainly because it comes apart for good cleaning and thank heavens I did. It behaved so badly I dumped out the remaining and my gold nib, the feed, and the inside of the pen had a stained filmy residue. Horror - I soaked in soapy water and took my bottle brush to the pen body and it took some time but eventually all came clean. Never again, it was only my second Noodler's experience and I am all done now. Never again. I did kind of like this blue-gray (I didn't see it as blue-black) so that part is a bit disappointing.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

earthdawn
November 10th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Nice review Heath... thanks!

@Tracy Lee ~ Reeeeealy... I only dip tested this ink when I got my free bottle from the Goulets. It's good to know in advance this is a tough ink.

snedwos
November 10th, 2013, 07:09 PM
I've used it in my vac700 eye dropper without issue. My waterman converter was stained, but then again, anything will stain that...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

snedwos
November 10th, 2013, 07:17 PM
I meant demonstrator...

tandaina
November 10th, 2013, 08:22 PM
I got my bottle free from the Goulet's as well for their FB fans thank you. I've got it in my Nakaya right now and it is the best behaved ink I've got inked at the moment. Behaves well even on paper that everything else bleeds through (and this is in a BB italic nib set for wet flow). Mine is not quite so dark, definitely more blue than blank but a very dignified color. I don't usually like blue-blacks, I find them deadly boring, this one has an extra "something" to it, I'm liking it a lot.

snedwos
November 10th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Seems everyone got the same ink... A shame i had bought a bottle a few weeks before...

heath
November 10th, 2013, 09:26 PM
And a shame I missed the promo too!

reprieve
November 11th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Does it have that really strong permanent marker smell that some bulletproof Noodler's inks have?

heath
November 11th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Does it have that really strong permanent marker smell that some bulletproof Noodler's inks have?

I may be the odd one out but I don't know that I have ever smelled an ink.

earthdawn
November 11th, 2013, 06:45 PM

It has a much stronger odor than the X-Feather ... I just smelled them both lol

tandaina
November 11th, 2013, 08:04 PM
I don't smell any odor from it, but I have a hard time detecting odor in the few scented inks I own so that may just be my nose.

The Scribbler
November 12th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I've been using 54th Mass for a while in a TWSBI Vac with a medium nib, and mine isn't as dark as your sample. Mine leans more toward a darker Waterman Blue-Black.

VertOlive
November 12th, 2013, 07:34 PM
I've been using 54th Mass for a while in a TWSBI Vac with a medium nib, and mine isn't as dark as your sample. Mine leans more toward a darker Waterman Blue-Black.

I just got a sample last week and find it to be much lighter and more grey than the review. It taught me that I like my blues "hotter" than this one seems to be.

VO

Goldfish
November 12th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Oh wow, I was going to order a sample but I might hold off if the current version or batch is not as dark.

snedwos
November 16th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Does a wonderful job of staining my favorite trousers...

AtomicLeo
November 17th, 2013, 09:36 AM
The dry time is too long for me. Glad I didn't get a sample of this!

benjitzu
December 26th, 2013, 12:32 AM
This is my daily go-to ink - absolutely LOVE it! Have at least two or three pens (few Lamy's, Ahab, and Pilot Metropolitan) inked up all the time with it. Have had no issues so far, love the dry time and bulletproof-ness, and the color is a gorgeous dark navy. Will always keep a few bottles of this stocked up in the ink drawer.

inkstainedruth
December 26th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Hmm. Interesting -- the scan made it look much darker than the sample I tried earlier this year. Mine is more of a dark teal blue-black, which wasn't what I thought I'd like, but the color has grown on me immensely. I've been thinking that it needs to have another run in something, now that I have a full bottle and after seeing the review I'm now curious as to what will come out of the bottle (not from the freebie promo, but ordered sometime earlier this year from isellpens).
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Senecabud
December 26th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I LOVE this ink. I used it to address my Christmas cards (due to its waterproof character), but I generally enjoy its color and shading. Very well behaved and have not had any problems with it whatsoever.

Sham69
December 26th, 2013, 08:15 PM
i just received my 16 oz special order bottle from nathan, this is my go to ink. i dilute it with 15% distilled water which helps nib dry out. it is always inked in my homo sapiens and montblanc 149, no ink window staining yet in the 149 knock on wood.

i highly recommend adding in 20% distilled water, adds a bit of shading, improves flow and decreases dryout

blopplop
December 26th, 2013, 09:23 PM
It's sometimes funny to read through a review thread and see all the different experiences people have with the same product.

"Best ink ever; worst ink I've ever used; love the color; hate the color; behaves perfect in all my pens; misbehaves in all my pens; feathers on all papers; I've never had it feather, etc,..."

Hilarious! :)

Actually the review of this one was largely positive. I've just been reading through ink reviews and noticed the above pattern at times. :)

Dave

TSherbs
December 27th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Hmm. Interesting -- the scan made it look much darker than the sample I tried earlier this year. Mine is more of a dark teal blue-black, which wasn't what I thought I'd like, but the color has grown on me immensely. I've been thinking that it needs to have another run in something, now that I have a full bottle and after seeing the review I'm now curious as to what will come out of the bottle (not from the freebie promo, but ordered sometime earlier this year from isellpens).
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

I feel the pull toward putting this in a wishlist....and I like the dilution idea....

Sailor Kenshin
December 27th, 2013, 03:33 PM
I usually dilute just about all my Noodler's inks.

Runnin_Ute
December 28th, 2013, 06:47 PM
It isn't my favorite blue black that I have (Pelikan 4001 and Diamine trump it) but I do like. Unlike some others, I don't see the teals/greens in it. Right now I have it in my early 1970's Pelikan 120, first fill of it in that pen though. I just had the Diamine in it. But it has been good for me.

Robert
December 28th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Interesting to read all of the varied experiences with this ink - - - and that Goulet Pens named it the 2013 Ink of the Year. Ah, what to make of it all? I think that I'll avoid it - - - too many other safer choices.

Sham69
December 28th, 2013, 09:29 PM
i find it behaves very well on the cheaper papers i have tried..
it certainly has teal in it which is more obvious in dry pens, it can appear almost black in some very wet pens (visconti homo sapiens) comes to mind
when i was organising my special order bottle from nathan he asked me if i wanted it on the darker side or a bit lighter, this question makes me assume there must be a bit of batch differences in the ink which is not a surprise at all knowing noodlers.

with 15-20% dilution the teal and depth comes out in this ink, (including shading)

feder
February 21st, 2014, 08:31 AM
Thank you for your review!

But mine ist a green-green-blue-grey-black ... I cannot describe it in other words, it's an ink that remind me on the colour of 100 year old ink, found in old documents.

writingrav
February 21st, 2014, 08:45 AM
I have two bottles each strikingly different from the other. I love one, the other is just meh . I think Nathan has a quality control issue with this one.

mtnbiker62
February 21st, 2014, 09:11 AM
I use this ink almost every day in a TWSBI Mini with an F nib, and mine is much lighter...almost a gray.

VertOlive
February 21st, 2014, 10:52 AM
I use this ink almost every day in a TWSBI Mini with an F nib, and mine is much lighter...almost a gray.

I have the exact same TWSBI and this ink is also greyish from that pen, but when I use it in a stub nib it is a nice blue-grey.

mtnbiker62
February 21st, 2014, 11:01 AM
Noodler's 54th and Sailor Nano Ultra Black are the two inks I reach for when I want some permanence.

Jeph
September 3rd, 2014, 02:53 AM
I finally tried a sample of 54th Mass . I was not encouraged by the way that the sample bottle was coated with ink. I am also a little confused with all of the variation in people's experiences.

My sample was a very nice bluish grey with a hint of teal. The dry times were not problematic at 15 seconds on Rhodia and nearly instant on copy paper. There was no feathering on either paper. What surprised me, especially with people complaining about dryness, was how wet the ink is. I am using it in a fine nib Parker 45 (stains don't matter) that I have already established with Parker Quink Black, Pelikan 4001 Blue Black and Diamine Sapphire Blue that it puts down a legitimate wet, fine line. With this ink the same pen writes a fat medium bordering on broad line.

I wiped the sample bottle and the ink came away easily so I am not as concerned with staining. With this wetness I can't use the ink for my normal purposes and that is probably the only thing that will keep me from buying a bottle. I might just buy a bottle anyway as I do like the color enough. I can't decide but I wanted to add what I have observed.

jacksterp
September 13th, 2014, 08:44 AM
No dry time issues, no feathering issues, no performance issues.

I do dilute it 4:1.

Really enjoy this ink. Have it in a Bexley Onyx and it writes first time every time even if it's been sitting for weeks.

Has performed well on any pen I've tried it in.