PDA

View Full Version : Kaweco 2N

Jeph
November 11th, 2013, 09:27 AM
This Kaweco 2N I got as a set with a Kaweco 611 ballpoint.

The pen is engraved with SchulKaweco 2N Pfannenfeder (pan nibbed school Kaweco #2N) and also with a serial number that is normal for German school pens. The pan nibs were supposed to be easier to use for children as they were wider and flatter than a normal. I think it was more to force them to hold the pen correctly, as the Pfanne tip was the opposite of the Kugel (ball) tip. The Kugel tip is more forgiving for various angles of contact whereas the flat pan tip is even more sensitive to rotation angle than standard nibs. The failure of that logic is that the actual tipping on this pen looks EXACTLY like a Kugel tip and not a Pfanne tip. The nib unit is screw-out so it might have easily have been changed in the past, and the “71K” at the bottom of the nib tells me that it is in fact a Kugel nib. Where the Pfannenfeder went I have no idea, but I am glad this pen has a KF instead of a PF nib. Note that the nib was originally gold washed, but if the wash is not in good shape I always just rub it off.

Other than that it is a standard small, plain Kaweco piston filler. It is well made, easy to disassemble and a solid writer. This nib is a smooth EF but does not have what I consider flex. Added pressure does make a wetter line but not really a wider line. Heavy pressure does make a wider line but I think the proper term for that is spring.

Length Capped 120 mm 4.74 in. 4 3/4 "
Posted Length 140 mm 5.52 in. 5 1/2 "
Unposted length 111 mm 4.36 in. 4 1/3 "
Cap Length 57 mm 2.25 in. 2 1/4 "
Section Length 13.0 mm .51 in. 1/2 "
Barrel Max Dia 11.0 mm .43 in. 7/16"
Section Min Dia 8.6 mm .34 in. 1/3 "