PDA

View Full Version : Lamy Safari Neon Yellow 2013 Limited Edition Review

heath
November 11th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Original Post and all the pictures available here: http://penpaperinkletter.com/lamy-safari-neon-yellow-2013-limited-edition/

This is the Lamy Safari Neon Yellow 2013 Limited Edition model L13YW. This version of the Lamy Safari was release in 2013 and is not currently slated for regular production. It is a true neon yellow and actually took some finagling to get some images that weren't blinding. I know this pen is not going to be everyones bag but putting it up against other similar colored pens I think its’ a solid choice. It’s not a washed out yellow or an awkward mix of yellow and green that some neons come out as. If you are prone to like bright bold colors than this Safari may be just the pen for you.

The Lamy Safari Neon Yellow 2013 Limited Edition comes in a choice of extra fine, fine and medium direct from Lamy USA. It retails for $37 but can be found as of this review for about $10 less from several online sources. The cap end and the ring between the body and section are both black. The nib and the clip are both silver. I briefly used a black nib on this pen and it looked fine as well.

This pen is a cartridge/converter pen like all the other Safari and Al-Stars and uses Z24 ink converters or T10 cartridges. I also briefly put the 1.9mm nib on this pen but the color lends itself more to freestyle writing than practicing calligraphy in my eyes. For now I’m back to the medium nib I ordered it with inked up with Diamine Blaze Orange. I love the combo and the medium nib lets inks that shade well really show off. As with all Lamy Safari’s and Al-Star’s this pen has a pronounced molded grip section that puts your fingers in a position relative to the nib so that you are always holding the pen correctly. Some are not a fan of this design feature and prefer a round grip but I have no problems with it and actually find it pleasing to use.

I did a brief writing sample which you can see below and found it to be comparable to all other Lamy Safari’s I have used.

This pen is made of ABS plastic and is has a smooth gloss finish. It can get slick if oils from your fingers build up. It’s the same with my white Safari but isn’t as big of problem on the matte charcoal version. Here are some shots with the neon, white & matte charcoal versions along with a Matte Black 2013 Lamy Al-Star Limited Edition.

For those of you that just don’t like the color there’s really nothing for you here. If you like the style get another color as there are many to choose from. If you love the color then there’s nothing holding you back. If you can still get it before the run sell out you’ll likely be in the same place others get to at some point where you own a pen worth more than you paid. I just got it because I like it. I have no re-sell plans and I think the pen is a solid choice for those that want something a bit different which some already consider Safari fans to be doing in the first place.

I’d love to hear you comments on this pen or Lamy Safari’s in general.

-Heath
@WeThePPIL (https://twitter.com/WeThePPIL)

VertOlive
December 23rd, 2013, 06:56 PM
Heath--to my eye [or monitor] this appears as distinctly apple green. Is it me? If it really is greenish, where can I find one at the $10 price?

I really need an apple green pen!

heath
December 23rd, 2013, 07:10 PM
Heath--to my eye [or monitor] this appears as distinctly apple green. Is it me? If it really is greenish, where can I find one at the $10 price?

I really need an apple green pen!

It is not green at all. It is almost hi-vis yellow.

I think they made a candy apple green one as a special edition but it will likely cost $$$$$.

kaisnowbird
December 24th, 2013, 06:31 AM
I had no idea that the Apple Green Safari was a 2012 limited edition! :sigh:

A missed opportunity is money saved...

[oh no, I hear the other voice in my head going...]
Kai2: Saved? For what? Another missed opportunity?
Kai1: Can't we just comfort ourselves a little?
Kai2: No, you need man up and buy every new limited edition Safari from now on!
Kai1: But I don't like Neon Yellow. It hurts our eyes. And why do I feel like Smeagol? :cry: We must have watched the LOTR too many times.
Kai2: Smeagol? What does that make me then? Gollum?!
Kai1: Oh, why don't you shut up and go make us some breakfast! PS: Is that 'man' enough for you?

Sailor Kenshin
December 24th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the review. Naturally I got one. It. Is. REALLY. Neon.

GHCToolman
December 25th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I picked up the regular yellow color a few years ago with a bold nib. I like the color but never could get the ink flow just right

heraclitus682
December 26th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Mine almost glows in the dark it is so neon.

pengeezer
January 9th, 2014, 02:57 PM
I have several Safaris(one of which is a Swedish model in yellow with a red clip) and this is
one that I haven't bought....yet. I also have one in Lime Green that was given to me when they first came out.

Nice review,BTW.

John

sparkinflint
November 5th, 2014, 06:31 PM
is this the same pen? https://www.penchalet.com/fine_pens/fountain_pens/lamy_safari_fountain_pen_neon_yellow.html

VertOlive
November 5th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the link, sparkinflint, I just grabbed one w/italic nib there!

Bogon07
November 5th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the link, sparkinflint, I just grabbed one w/italic nib there!
The site indicates 1.5 italic nib in the Q&A.

sparkinflint
November 6th, 2014, 06:30 AM
I got a EF :)