PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in a New Camera

Murfie
November 11th, 2013, 08:16 PM
I've just acquired a new Fujifilm Finepix X10, bought primarily for its macro capabilities. I'm on a steep learning curve but with the help of a lightbox here's a couple of my pens from the lens of the X10 -

Steel Age Visconti Homo Sapiens

Conway Stewart Belliver LE

I'm not there yet, but I'm pleased with the results so far.

MisterBoll
November 11th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Your photos are very good. Beautiful Belliver too!

Murfie
November 11th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Your photos are very good. Beautiful Belliver too!
Thank you for the kind words. It certainly makes a huge difference when you have the right equipment, and that applies to both photography and penmanship.

MisterBoll
November 11th, 2013, 09:30 PM
It certainly makes a huge difference when you have the right equipment, and that applies to both photography and penmanship.

Too true although I've been making attempts at getting good shots with an iphone.
It just depends on how steady I hold the phone.

Tony Rex
November 11th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Great choice of gear, and apparently with skills to match. Brilliant results mate.

Mind sharing your lighting setup with us? :)

earthdawn
November 11th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Awesome photos !!!!

Wow those are crystal clear and show so much detail.

COngrats on the new camera... can't wait to see more photos

Jeph
November 12th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Those results are very good.

Murfie
November 12th, 2013, 03:59 AM
Just a simple 3 lamp fabric light box off eBay. I'll post a photo of it as soon as a carpet lay is finished and the room is back to normal.

Murfie
November 12th, 2013, 02:11 PM
This (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130702320660?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649) is the eBay light box that I purchased. There is a third larger lamp in the canopy. Product is very well constructed and frankly I was surprised how inexpensive it was. As you live in Oz, Tony, it comes from a local seller and they deliver very quickly.

Murfie
November 12th, 2013, 02:18 PM
... can't wait to see more photos
You can have your wish! Here's a couple more ...

Mahogany Bexley Poseidon Magnum

One of my favourite pens, a rare Esterbrook Dollar Bandless (mint and never inked)

earthdawn
November 12th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Thats close to what I got but your lights are much bigger.

http://www.adorama.com/VRDSB1616.html

Though I am using an iphone on a stand lol so the quality of my pictures are not near where yours are...

Murfie
November 12th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Though I am using an iphone on a stand lol so the quality of my pictures are not near where yours are...
Earthdawn, the brightest lamp in the setup is the one in the canopy up top. I contemplated one similar to yours but I'm glad I went with the larger lamps.

Here's an interesting comparison. The first photo is taken in the same light box but with my other Nikon L310 camera. The pen is an Italian Marlen Basilea.

Now here's the same pen in the same lighting setup but with the Fuji X10.

As well as giving much finer detail, the Fuji has replicated the color perfectly, whereas it has an orange flavor in the Nikon shot, even though I had adjusted the Nikon to get the best color I could.

Bogon07
November 12th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Congratulations on the new camera.

Now that is an interesting comparison. Not only are the details much sharper but the Fuji photo looks much more dramatic and 3D-ish even taking into account the slightly different angle. The Nikon did pick out the gold on the nib a bid more though.

Nice selections of pens too.

It must be time to up-grade my old Fuji rather than borrow Mrs Bogon's Panasonic.

Murfie
November 12th, 2013, 07:49 PM
This one came out quite well. It's the much hyped Delta "Fusion" nib in my Delta Fusion 82.

The metal color reproduction is excellent.

kaisnowbird
November 20th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Congrats on the new camera. And that's a great setup at such a reasonable cost. Together, they bring out so much detail of these lovely pens.

I just can't stop staring at these pics. They give me such a calm feeling. The Estie is truly top notch. Conway Stewart's materials are just stunning. I mean WOW!