PDA

View Full Version : Similar to the M4xx?

mt_hangglider
November 14th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Hi guys,

I started into the fountain pen hobby not too long ago with a Pelikan M405 blue stripe, medium nib. I absolutely LOVE everything about the pen.
http://imageshack.us/a/img542/6629/k1aa.jpg

With that being said, I started looking around to find what else was out there similar to the M4xx but from a different brand.
I came across a Sailor Pro Gear II Slim seen here...:
http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Sailor%20Pens/sailor-pro-gear-sigma-slim-black-rhodium-uncapped.jpg

...and thought it would fit the bill nicely so I ordered it. It arrived last Friday and I had a chance to play with it over the weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't like much except the good looks. The nib produced too thin of a line for a medium (Japanese vs. European mediums are very different), the nib was scratchy and wasn't smooth like everyone indicated about Sailor, the balance was off especially when posted, etc. It's a fine pen of great quality for sure but it just turned out to not be for me.

Fortunately, the place I bought it from (online since there's no pen shop within 500 miles of where I live) is happy to take it back and either refund or sell me a different pen. I decided to go with another M405 but all black since I am so in love with my first pen. I also want to be a little more stealthy at work (which is what I was going for with the Sailor). While I wait for that to arrive, the urge to find a different pen from a different brand just for variety sake is still there.

I am wondering what folks here suggest as an alternative to the M405 with VERY similar quality, size, weight, nib smoothness, etc. specs.? I would be willing to spend more if it meant I found a pen that was worth the extra $. As I mentioned before, there is no pen shop within hundreds and hundreds of miles where I live so trying before buying is unfortunately not an option. I know a question like this is very subjective but any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

mt_hangglider
November 14th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Oh and I should mention I am particularly fond of silver / rhodium / silver trim (gold not so much) with a two tone 14k or 18k nib.

dduran
November 14th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Um, not so sure how it differs in size but why not try a Lamy 2000. Timeless design (almost unchanged since 1960s), practical, w/ superb german engineering (piston filler).

tandaina
November 14th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Another M400? ;) You can get them in different colors! Or try the antique ones which have some of hte yummiest nibs ever made! I have probably 8 400/400NN/M400 pens, no two alike, all great pens! (Tortoise, green, black, white tortoise) I don't have a blue, I really need a blue, love this.

fountainpenkid
November 14th, 2013, 03:18 PM
A 1st gen Parker Vacumatic standard might fit your bill.

Bo Bo Olson
December 30th, 2013, 01:26 PM
When you have four or pens look at a semi-flex nib in a vintage Pelikan 140 or a 400/standard sized Geha 790.
In the 140 will more than likely be green stripped stay away from that right now in the M400's.

Semi-flex nibs are a lot of fun, I have 26 of them. My first was a 140 OB. Vintage pre'97 much less pre'66 are narrower so an OB is a writing nib, not a signature nib. The OB is more like a modern M-B.

brewsky
December 30th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Once you go pelikan, nothing else compares.. just get your m400 and explore more pelikans :)

brewsky
December 30th, 2013, 01:51 PM
On a serious note, I love my pilot vanishing point. They are definitely worth a shot. I have tue gunmetal woth matte black furniture. A supremely attractive pen by my eye.

Runnin_Ute
January 1st, 2014, 07:52 PM
You could just change the nib on the Sailor to a B and not post....

OR

Get another Pelikan.