PDA

View Full Version : Fountain Pen Friendly Postcards?

VertOlive
November 15th, 2013, 12:11 PM
I'd like to start exchanging correspondence with another FP user, and would like to start with just postcards. Can anyone point me to a brand and store that sells Fountain-Pen-Friendly postcards?

Thanks.

jar
November 15th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Buy ones made before 1960 or so. Often found on etsy or eBay. Make sure they are not reproductions.

Also, ones I have bought from Crane or some museums work fine.

Sailor Kenshin
November 15th, 2013, 04:41 PM
How will you protect the ink from wind, sleet, and hail?

VertOlive
November 15th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Good question, would the "bullet proof" inks I've read about work?

heath
November 15th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I own a print shop and am working on finding something like this. I am not able to use anything I want as I have an exclusive supplier but I am going through their stock. Most have not worked well for this but I have one that looks promising. I haven't been able to do a good test with it yet but when I do I'll update.

VertOlive
November 17th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Really, to think about it, I use a fountain pen to address the envelope, so I suppose the ink is as "at risk" there as it would be on a postcard...

VO

Sailor Kenshin
November 17th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Really, to think about it, I use a fountain pen to address the envelope, so I suppose the ink is as "at risk" there as it would be on a postcard...

VO

Yeah, but when I address an envelope, I rub it with candle wax.

hunnymonster
November 18th, 2013, 09:49 AM
How will you protect the ink from wind, sleet, and hail?

Back when I used to do the chalkboard for the pub I worked in, I used to give that a quick spray of the cheapest hair lacquer I could find... Often "borrowing" it from one of the barmaids :D

VertOlive
November 19th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Uh oh. Now I'm worried about the first pen-pal letter I sent yesterday! No wax, no hairspray, just bare ink.....:cry:

Sailor Kenshin
November 19th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Usually, they come through okay. I started waxing the addresses after what seemed like a month of rain, and now it's a habit.

caribbean_skye
November 19th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Another option is to put clear mailing/packing tape across the postcard.

VertOlive
November 19th, 2013, 07:35 PM
So how do you wax the address??

snedwos
November 19th, 2013, 07:43 PM
So how do you wax the address??
Rub a candle over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

6of1
November 25th, 2013, 04:39 PM
I've been a Postcrossing member for 4 years and have used fountain pen ink on 90% of the cards I've sent out -- the few modern ones that were too slick got the Sakura Micron (the only other kind of pen I use). I have yet to have anyone say that the writing was smeared or otherwise molested. A bulletproof ink works a treat, but I've also used many others. Never waxed, taped or otherwise BTKed my cards. So, VertOlive, allay your fears, as I am one to wager that your card will arrive just fine.

Be seeing you.