PDA

View Full Version : Of All The Antique Joints, In All The Towns, In All The World, I Walked Into Hers

hughdrbf
March 18th, 2012, 06:35 PM
...Walter A. Sheaffer's great-granddaughter!

You know this, you've been there before. The story goes something like...

My wife and I are visiting with relatives in the east-side suburbs of Cleveland, and we all decide to go antiquing for the day. My eyes light up because this is another opportunity to score that big find in places I've not hunted through! So I'm all in, and off we go. Shop #1: Nada. The next shop will surely have "the find". Nope, and on to shop #3. Still no joy at the third, and now it's been half the day gone by.

Now we're at the last shop of today's tour and my Uncle says hello to the shop owner and strikes up conversation right where they left off a few days ago. Apparently he remembered our conversation months ago when I asked him to keep his eye out for anything fountain pen, and he's been taking regular action on my behalf. One such conversation was with this shop owner the week before. At the time, no joy on the fountain pen subject.

Today my Uncle introduces me to Lynn Giesen, the shop owner, as the one for whom he was inquiring about fountain pens last week. So Lynn and I say hello, and she follows with, "So, you're interested in fountain pens?" I say, "I am, as a hobby to collect, refurbish, and then use regularly to help improve my handwriting and learn different writing scripts." And then it happened: Lynn comes right back with a glint in her eye, a growing smile on her face, and says, "Sheaffer fountain pens...white dot?"

So I immediately think this nice person, Lynn, knows something really big that I'm about to learn. I have no idea what, I just know its really big.

I respond with, "Well, yes...snorkels, love those - I've brought a couple back to life and use them a lot. Timeless, classic design. Really sought after by many folks in the community." And here it comes...

Lynn says, "Me too. Walter A. Sheaffer was my great grandfather."

My eyes froze and my mind started reeling...

Lynn was incredibly nice and shared Sheaffer family history, amazing details behind Sheaffer fountain pens, and more for almost half an hour! About that time family started getting ready to get going toward dinner, so we brought the conversation to a close. Way too early for my liking, but when family wants to go, you gotta go.

Lynn is a most amazing person, and to have met her and had the chance to talk with her was beyond a treat. Finally, at the end of the day, at the very last shop...JOY! I found that big find of the day!

My thanks to Lynn for illuminating the Sheaffer family and fountain pen history in ways that only she could have done. The aura of "Sheaffer" fountain pens is personal now.

I hope the mods are okay with this shameless little plug for Lynn's shop, and that they don't lock the thread for treading too closely on the edge of forum rules. Next chance you have to visit Chagrin Falls, Ohio, be sure to swing by "The Source" at 58 Shopping Plaza and patronize Lynn's shop. She offers very nice furnishings, really interesting consignments, and related services. You'll both enjoy the merchandise and the conversation!

Oh, and be sure to ask Lynn about the story behind why they called Fort Madison "Cinderella's Castle". You'll love that one!

Hugh

jor412
March 22nd, 2012, 08:41 PM
What a great find. Would it be asking too much to get more detail on her stories?

hughdrbf
March 24th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Hi folks,

Just a quick note to sort of close this out gracefully.

I did invite Lynn to share more with us - at her discretion, of course. I presume that she prefers to leave things as they are, and I respect her privacy.

Thanks for reading the story and all your kind comments.

Hugh

jor412
March 25th, 2012, 07:20 AM
All right. I hope she considers it. :)