PDA

View Full Version : Moleskine Pocket Notebooks= love, daily planner=hate

Titivillus
November 16th, 2013, 03:50 PM
OK I have been deep fried from several people on various sites for liking moleskine journals, I found that a Parker 51 fine nib with MB midnight blue can write with no problems on the blank, ruled & grid journals. Unfortunately I thought that this transferred to their daily planners. I bought a 2014 and started adding important dates with pencil, ballpoint, gel and Fountain pen. Well the paper is much different such that only pencil & Ball point will not bleed & show through. I emailed the company and have been waiting for their reply. $24 for a book that I can only use with a pencil is such a waste of money!

Kurt

tandaina
November 16th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Sadly, yup. I love their books, but as I prefer big stub nibbed pens or wet flex pens... I just can't use them anymore. :( I dearly wish they'd up the paper quality, I'd be back in a heartbeat.

snedwos
November 16th, 2013, 06:52 PM
The problem is that the quality can vary drastically from notebook to notebook, even signature to signature, sometimes. Very annoying.

erpe
November 16th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Moleskine is a bit inconsistent. I found that I can use Moleskine quite well in combination with specific pens/inks. Kaweco sport medium with Pelikan blueblack works fine, most pens with Euro fine or Asian medium with Parker blueblack and Waterman fine nibs with Waterman blue is ok. I also discovered that the pen/ink combi's that work ok in the 192 page pocket, do not work in the 240 page large. The paper in the large seems to be even thinner, only a few ballpoints and gells work. The cahier booklets I use on the road can only be used with a Hero 7022 with Parker blueblack so far, all other fountain pens fail. I have a Moleskine pocket reserved in my drawer. With every pen I ink, I write a few lines in the back to see if the combi works. For the interested, there is a blog that develloped a "moleskine rating" http://inkyjournal.blogspot.nl/search/label/100%25%20Moleskine-proof%20ink Maybe it can be of assistance.

Titivillus
November 18th, 2013, 11:25 AM
received a reply from them talking mostly about FPs. sending out a replacment, that I will use with pencil and ballpoint. good customef service

Dad Of Sapling
December 28th, 2013, 04:33 PM
I used to like the Moleskine pocket notebooks. But now that I am using FPs I find the paper really doesn't play well. So I have moved to other notebooks.

Scrawler
December 29th, 2013, 09:53 AM
They are really convenient but not good fp paper. I always have a 3X5 reporters notebook in my pocket. As only I will be seeing what is in it, I have no problems with the bad behavior of the paper.

bogiesan
December 30th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Moleskine really doesn't care a tinker's cuss about fountain pen users. We represent a microscopic bit of their millions of otherwise satisfied users who love to use the notebooks and apply their colored pencils, watercolors, gel pens, rollerballs and pencils with wild abandon, creating remarkable stuff. I'm not sure why we like to complain about molie's total (and possibly callous) disregard for fountain pen users. They don't care. They don't need to.
If you enjoy the form factor and the selection of formats, buy 'em and have fun filing them up. Either adapt your style to the limitations of the terrible paper stocks (I only use the recto side of each leaf), use a molie-friendly writing instrument.

Scrawler
December 30th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Moleskine really doesn't care a tinker's cuss about fountain pen users. We represent a microscopic bit of their millions of otherwise satisfied users who love to use the notebooks and apply their colored pencils, watercolors, gel pens, rollerballs and pencils with wild abandon, creating remarkable stuff. I'm not sure why we like to complain about molie's total (and possibly callous) disregard for fountain pen users. They don't care. They don't need to.
If you enjoy the form factor and the selection of formats, buy 'em and have fun filing them up. Either adapt your style to the limitations of the terrible paper stocks (I only use the recto side of each leaf), use a molie-friendly writing instrument.
Succinct and accurate :thumb:

Titivillus
December 31st, 2013, 08:18 PM

I wouldnt have commented if it was just a FP that caused the problem. but other writing instruments as well. thougjt I would just give a warning to everyone here.

jde
January 1st, 2014, 05:16 PM
received a reply from them talking mostly about FPs. sending out a replacment, that I will use with pencil and ballpoint. good customef service

That's great they're sending you a new planner!

I've had good luck with Moleskine using fine points. And I know several people who still use them with FPs.

Thanks for letting us know that the planner version is the one you had FP trouble with.

Ed333
January 3rd, 2014, 07:02 AM
I have been having some better luck with a dry writing XF nib. And the other thing, you don't see them much in stores, but they do make a pocket notebook with a heavy artist's sketch pad paper, which holds up rather well to fountain pen use. just hard to find.

KrazyIvan
January 3rd, 2014, 10:50 AM
I recently saw someone on Instagram that guts the Moleskine and then adds his own signatures made of laid paper. All because he likes the cover but not the paper. That is dedication right there.

velo
January 4th, 2014, 01:07 AM
I find their cheapest notebooks, the cahiers, are absolutely fine with my fountain pens. The most expensive moleskine notebook I own can barely take a ballpoint.

I'm also apathetic about Field Notes because their paper never seems to work well with fountain pens. Nice covers though.