PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the M600

Moxoftritonytes
November 19th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Hello,
I am getting a Pelikan M600 Green`O`Green in the next few days. It will be my first bird from the Souveran series and I`m very excited about getting it.
I don`t know much about the M600 models though, so here are a few questions that came up:

1.) Can the pen be disassembled so that the piston mechanic is taken out for repair or lubrication?

2.) How are size and weight of this pen in relation to a M800?

3.) How are the M600 nibs? Stiff or springy? Smooth or with much feedback?

4.) How broad does a M nib write in comparison to a M in a M400? Is it broader (which I suspect because it is bigger)?

Thanks in advance,
Moxoftritonytes

tandaina
November 19th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Modern Pelikans are not like a Noodler's pen. You CAN take them apart but it really isn't necessary. If you want to lube the piston just unscrew the nib unit and lube that way. You can take the piston assembly out but it is not meant to be done on a regular basis. I have Pelikans that are 40 years old and still work perfectly, so really you don't NEED to take the things apart.

Nib will depend on how old it is, I'm not familiar with when green on green was made, sorry.

m600 and M400 nibs are interchangeable (I have a 400 that came with a 600 nib unit in it). The nib is not a whole lot larger and I'd expect a similar size line. But again, age makes a huge difference. My 400 series gold nibs from the 50s have basically zero in common with the modern gold nibs.

ChrisC
November 19th, 2013, 12:56 PM
M600 nibs can be put into the M400 body but be VERY careful, because the M400 cap may not be long enough to accommodate the extra bit of length of the 600 nib. This might depend on a number of things, but I would either get a 600 cap, or very slowly screw on the 400 cap and if you feel any resistance or feel/hear the tines touching the inside of the cap, stop.

Paul-H
November 19th, 2013, 01:19 PM
The Piston can be unscrewed and it has been said that a TWSBI wrench will fit, but one thing to remember IIRC the piston unit has a left hand thread so its lefty tighty righty loosy.

Paul

Tony Rex
November 19th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Congrats Mox.

I can only add that if you want to use the nib on an 200/400, you can, but measure it before you cap it. The limit is 21 mm (with half a mil tolerance). I had to set mine a bit deeper into the collar/feed, but in some cases unnecessary. Tipping size should be the same with a Medium M400, I can't remember exactly because I've stubbed mine already. I would not put any wrench near the plastic piston housing. Not because "It's plastic, it's crap! Boo!" but I've tried the circus act and I do not recommend it.

Btw, nice choice mate. I really really like the Green O' Green.

Tony

ChrisC
November 19th, 2013, 05:51 PM
The TWSBI wrench is for the M800/M1000. The M600 and below Souveran's have a snap fit piston that is not designed to be removed for lubrication. Removing the nib unit and apply grease to the upper barrel of the pen is the way to lube it.

dduran
November 19th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Agree with ChrisC, the piston are snap (not even friction like the vintage 400s) fit. Though it still is very easy to lubricate as described by him :)

ChrisC
November 19th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Wanna try to avoid lubing the lower barrel though, as that is where the ink level is seen through the stripes. I take a wooden skewer and put a bit of grease at the top and carefully put the grease at the upper barrel. Don't pierce it, obviously. Use the blunt end.Steady hands are a plus.

Moxoftritonytes
November 19th, 2013, 11:04 PM
I don`t want to use the nib on a M400, I just wanted to know if the sizes of the iridium tips compare here because I don`t want to end up with a broad M nib. Stubbing the Green`O`Green`s M nib is a solution I haven`t thought about. Thanks, Tony.
And for the piston mechanism - it isn`t user-serviceable so I let my hands off it. Don`t want to destroy the precious pen.
I also don`t believe that I`ll ever have to get a broken piston mechanism fixed in this life. The piston has a double seal that should stand the test of time, just like the neoprene seal on my 100N that is now 75 years old and still in working condition.
I can`t wait until I hold the new pen in my hands. When I get it I`ll post some pics and a review.

The Good Captain
November 20th, 2013, 02:04 AM
The Green O'Green is a great pen and I've just started using Cult Pens/Diamine Deep Dark Green in mine. A great combination. Good purchase.

Moxoftritonytes
November 20th, 2013, 04:41 AM
I got it! And it`s ink-redible!!! Kinda love at first sight. As for now, one thing is sure: this pen is going to follow me throughout the years. It has some heft but is still light-weight when the cap is removed. The balance in the hand is perfect and the M nib is smooth like hot butter. It writes phantastic. Gonna put up a review in the review section soon.

gentlyom
November 21st, 2013, 12:06 PM
What a great choice of M600!! I agree that the piston will not be the same as M800 and M1000 series to be able to unscrewed out. So, in my M620 pens, some of which also have the transparent barrels, I generally would only use "save ink" in these pens, and avoid purple, reddish colors since cleaning the behind piston part would be unlikely, and these ink colors would tend to stain.

whych
November 22nd, 2013, 02:34 AM
Any ink you use will leave some ink behind the piston over time.
To 'clean behind the piston':
rinse the pen so there is little or no ink in the nib and barrel
now soak the whole pen in water and turn the piston to fill and empty the pen under water. When you expel the ink from the nib end, it will suck water in to the other end.
This will allow you to soak the pen and loosen any old ink behind the piston which should then flush out.
Any water left behind the piston will evaporate after a few days.