PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan Pelikano Junior Fountain Pen Review (Video)

heath
November 20th, 2013, 03:13 PM
This is my first attempt at a video review. It needs plenty of work I know but I am satisfied with it for my first attempt. Let me know what you think of the pen, the review and the video. All the images can be found with the full review here: http://penpaperinkletter.com/pelikan-pelikano-junior-fountain-pen-review/

This is the Pelikan Pelikano Junior Fountain Pen. It is made for children in that the design is kid focused and a few features Pelikan claims will be helpful for them. In several descriptions I have seen for this pen though it also appears that this pen is being marketed to anyone of any age that fancies the look of the pen. With the cap on it is an all blue translucent fountain pen with smooth lines. With the cap off it turns into a bit more of a stylized blue and yellow/orange pen that will attract some and lose others. The rubber grip is a bright yellow/orange and it has blue raised markings which add to the style as well as function. In the capped position I quite like the look of the pen but uncapped I think it loses some of its luster. For kids though, I think they will like it.

This rubber grip has 3 notches of different sizes and markings. The bottom notch is smaller and presumably for a grip that you should have when writing with a fountain pen but I just can’t make use of it with my grip. The top two that are in a similar position as the Lamy Safari notched grip sections are marked with raised designs that direct your hand into a solid grip. It’s a bit off for me but not enough to hamper short term use. I actually really like this feature. For an adult it is likely not going to work perfectly with our larger hands and already established grip but for children using fountain pens I assume not having this would add frustration as the child has to constantly find the right place to hold the pen to get it to write.

For kids I think this nib was a solid choice. It is really smooth and not fine enough to be cutting through even moderately cheap paper with the force a child might apply. It is an “A” nib which comes in very close to a medium. I am not certain if there are other aspects of the nib that differ specifically for children but Pelikan does boast it as a sturdy nib for kids. For adults buying this pen for their collection I am afraid it will be a less than brilliant experience. The nib feels blunt and lifeless. It’s not simply that it is a medium to broad line and therefore lacks precision, it actually feels like a dud. Again, for children this was likely a solid choice but for me there is no joy in writing with this pen.

This pen comes with a blue cartridge which is covered in a pirate cartoon motif. It just goes to further the fact that this pen isn’t made for adults. On the Pelikan website this pen is listed under the school writing instruments along with other colorful pens. The body of the pen is all plastic but if you are considering it for an eyedropper conversion you are out of luck. The end of the barrel has two holes in it that prevent it from being filled with ink.

To review this pen as it should be we need to only think of it as a pen for children. However, that’s not who I am writing to and that is not who most online retailers are marketing this pen to. It is boasted as a good pen for beginners as well. For the price it is hard to argue that this would be an ok first pen. At the same time there are several things about this pen that would keep me from recommending it for that purpose to adults.

My oldest isn’t quite ready for a pen but when he is I think this would be a good first pen for him. I imagine that, for as much as any pen can be, it will be attractive to him. Even though it is plastic is seems rugged enough for most children. As for the rest of us I wouldn’t look to add this to your collection unless you have had a chance to hold it and write with it to see if you are as held back as I have been by the grip and nib.

To wrap up, this pen comes in four colors; red, blue, turquoise and violet. It is capless and has a soft molded rubber grip. I would buy this pen for my kids but would skip it for myself or as a gift for people wanting to get into fountain pens.

-Heath
@WeThePPIL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P7omDTKQb4

cwent2
November 20th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Good review.

kaisnowbird
November 23rd, 2013, 06:04 PM
A fun looking pen that's no fun to use? So sorry to hear that.

heath
November 23rd, 2013, 08:17 PM
A fun looking pen that's no fun to use? So sorry to hear that.

I've gotten some feedback that people with small hands might like it.