PDA

View Full Version : Omni Office Premium Planning Pad Review

heath
November 21st, 2013, 03:18 PM
Click here if you want to see all the images with the full review: http://penpaperinkletter.com/omni-office-premium-planning-pad-review/

This is the Omni Office Premium Planning Pad. It can be found in store at Wal-Mart and is made in the USA by Norcom based in Griffin, Georgia. I will first say that I’m going to give Norcom the benefit of the doubt on naming here. The “Premium” title is not anywhere on the product itself and is only on the Walmart website. The cover simply says, Omni Office Graph Pad. Let’s chalk it up to an over eager marketing department. So now that we have moved the pad out of the premium range I can be more positive. That being said, it helps that there is also not a premium price associated with this pad. A single pad is under $3.50US.

This pad grabbed my attention for several reasons. It is grid on the front and ruled on the back. I have never tried that combo and it seemed intriguing. Also, it’s made in America which has become quite rare from the giant retailer who has been known to go to extremes to cut costs.

I may have already waited to long to mention but it goes without saying this paper is not fountain pen friendly. It is surprising that the main concern is not bleedthrough as the paper handles it for the most part but it just feathers to much for regular use. There may be some cases, like a fine to extra-fine nib with a well behaved ink, that will work out to use a fountain pen.

To speak of the quality I will say it looks like you would expect for the price. Machine rough cuts, glued binding, etc. The pages are perforated but require a bit of care to get a clean tear. The ruled lines do not line up with the grid so in some lights there is ghosting but I haven’t found it to be a problem. Also, in order to use the ruled back I found I had to tear out the pages first as they weren’t able to be bent over enough to be flat.

I am a graph guy. I just find it helpful for drawing and diagramming and even simply giving me a guide for my handwriting and tasks list. This pad is a good size and is a good heft for handing a bag. The front title cover tears off to show a solid gray which I find attractive and I am pleased that I don’t have to carry around the pad with the advertisement front and center all the time.

Conclusion, I like this pad. For the price I could see keeping one in my bag, one at home and a few at the office for quick notes or sketches when I want a throw away larger page.

-Heath
@WeThePPIL