PDA

View Full Version : How does the Pilot 823 nib compare to the Namiki Falcon nib?

WilsonCQB1911
November 22nd, 2013, 03:39 AM
I have an 823 M and it's one of the smoothest, most wonderful writing nibs I own. It's pretty much perfect. I like soft, smooth nibs. How does the Falcon compare?

For reference, my favorite pens are the MB149 fine, Pilot 823 medium, Visconti HS fine, and the Vanishing Point medium. Actually that's all the pens I own now, since I gave away the pens that I didn't love.

Anything else I should consider?

Mags
November 22nd, 2013, 04:58 AM
The Pelikan M800 is definitely on par with a MB 146/149. I would suggest you at least consider purchasing one with the understanding they write a little wetter and broader so a Med is a bit broad and a fine is a bit toward medium...so with that observation out of the way choose your nib accordingly.

I have to say my Parker 51 with a Minushkin 1.3 mm nib is a crowd favourite and everyone enjoys using it. I would suggest you look into something modified by Mr Minushkin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

WilsonCQB1911
November 22nd, 2013, 05:30 AM
The Pelikan M800 is definitely on par with a MB 146/149. I would suggest you at least consider purchasing one with the understanding they write a little wetter and broader so a Med is a bit broad and a fine is a bit toward medium...so with that observation out of the way choose your nib accordingly.

I have to say my Parker 51 with a Minushkin 1.3 mm nib is a crowd favourite and everyone enjoys using it. I would suggest you look into something modified by Mr Minushkin.

I appreciate the reply, thank you. I've heard good things about the M800, and m1000 and considered getting the latter. However, I purchased an M600 and just hated it. Maybe it's because I'm a lefty, but it was so scratchy. Very narrow sweet spot. When I had it just so it was smooth, but that was so fleeting. So now I'm worried about getting anything else Pelikan.

I've been kind of considering another MB. Maybe a 147 or another 149 with a broad nib. I also love the Pilots, so I was looking at the Falcon.

Mags
November 22nd, 2013, 05:45 AM
Wilson,

I am also a left handed over writer and for that reason select faster drying inks and broad nibs. You will not be disappointed with moving to broad nibs as the sweet spot on them is bigger. I found on my M600 the exact same scratchy observation while in the store dipping and trying it out. I was actually trying M800's and then a 600 or three and one was just ideal in the 600 so it was purchased. The left handed writers like us often struggle to find the pens that work for us. My 800 was used but tried before it was purchased. The harsh reality is you may need to try a pen show or pen club meeting in hopes of finding a pen you can try out. My discerning was not contained to Pelikans and my Conway Stewart Churchill was eventually purchased after testing all three in a store and getting a medium over the broad as it was smoother and then after 4 weeks swapping for a broad from Conway Stewart. I literally drove 1100 or so km to Washington DC and Mary Burke was able to facilitate my trying a few nibs and literally gave me a test nib to swap. Now that was not the preference which was to give me a brand new nib and even offered a custom grind/polish but I found a nib with a perfect to me sweet spot so I was and continue to be delighted.

So best of luck in your searches. The chances are that like you I will continue to be a hit and miss purchaser by internet given the angle I hold pens so I wish you every success in finding a store and trying out the nibs. Pelikans like MB allow nib swaps so they may be worth the risk.

WilsonCQB1911
November 22nd, 2013, 07:14 AM
Wilson,

I am also a left handed over writer and for that reason select faster drying inks and broad nibs. You will not be disappointed with moving to broad nibs as the sweet spot on them is bigger. I found on my M600 the exact same scratchy observation while in the store dipping and trying it out. I was actually trying M800's and then a 600 or three and one was just ideal in the 600 so it was purchased. The left handed writers like us often struggle to find the pens that work for us. My 800 was used but tried before it was purchased. The harsh reality is you may need to try a pen show or pen club meeting in hopes of finding a pen you can try out. My discerning was not contained to Pelikans and my Conway Stewart Churchill was eventually purchased after testing all three in a store and getting a medium over the broad as it was smoother and then after 4 weeks swapping for a broad from Conway Stewart. I literally drove 1100 or so km to Washington DC and Mary Burke was able to facilitate my trying a few nibs and literally gave me a test nib to swap. Now that was not the preference which was to give me a brand new nib and even offered a custom grind/polish but I found a nib with a perfect to me sweet spot so I was and continue to be delighted.

So best of luck in your searches. The chances are that like you I will continue to be a hit and miss purchaser by internet given the angle I hold pens so I wish you every success in finding a store and trying out the nibs. Pelikans like MB allow nib swaps so they may be worth the risk.

This is a great reply, thank you. I'm finding the same issues you are. Unfortunately, where I am right now I'm restricted to just internet sales currently, which makes thugs very hard. Well. I've got a great stable of pens already and more than I need, so maybe it's not so bad.

I'm finding larger nibs are better, and larger tips like you've found. I bought a 146 that works wonderfully for a righty, but was a hard starter for me, since I usually start on what would be considered a leftward swipe.

While a broad nib may be part of the answer, I find I can't really use a tip that wide. It's just too fat a line for most uses for me.

Ondina
November 24th, 2013, 02:07 AM
The Falcon Elabo nibs and the FA in the Namiki 823 are both very smooth. Elabo nibs offer a right out of the factory softness variation that goes fron just soft to semiflex. Draw of the luck. It's own design offers a more precise writing, while the bigger #15 FA of the 823 and the "cut-out" sides is more luxurious and vocationally semiflex bordering flex. They are two different conceptions of what a pen is. If this helps to clarify, I would take the Elabo to work to take notes and have the 823 on the home desk to write my private correspondence.

Laura N
November 24th, 2013, 09:31 AM
I have an 823 M and it's one of the smoothest, most wonderful writing nibs I own. It's pretty much perfect. I like soft, smooth nibs. How does the Falcon compare?

For reference, my favorite pens are the MB149 fine, Pilot 823 medium, Visconti HS fine, and the Vanishing Point medium. Actually that's all the pens I own now, since I gave away the pens that I didn't love.

Anything else I should consider?

I have an 823 F and a metal Falcon SF. I don't classify the 823 F nib as "soft," to be honest, though it is a very smooth, precise and typically narrow Japanese fine.

The Falcon, in contrast, is actually delineated SF for "Soft Fine." I find mine flexes very nicely for a modern nib -- that's the soft part -- and works well without flex as a regular nib. When used without flexing, it is wider than the usual Japanese fine and has more feedback. It's a fantastic nice nib, but not like the 823 F and not like the Vanishing Point M. Of the three, the Vanishing Point M is the smoothest, and actually that has a very nice bounciness which is closer to "soft" than my 823 F.

An option for you might be the Lamy 2000, another springy modern gold nib.

I'm right-handed so unfortunately I have no idea what the Falcon would be like for a left-hander.

stevekolt
December 14th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Wilson,
Another southpaw here. I guess I was lucky as my Pelikan M600 with an XF nib is among my favorites. I have a number of the other pens you've mentioned, and I strongly encourage you to contact Brian @ Edison Pen. I have two different customs from him and they are both outstanding. Describe what you're looking for, and your writing characteristics, and he will definitely hit the sweet spot. Add in the number of materials you have to choose from, and feed mechanisms, and you will have a truly custom pen.

BTW, love your forum name. I'm more of an Ed Brown guy myself ;)

Sorry, just realized I didn't come near the original question. I don't own the Pilot but I have the resin Falcon in a SF nib, and it writes without any problem whatsoever.