PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc Classique real or fake

Paul-H
November 26th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Hi all

I am thinking about adding a Classique to my collection and found one I am interested in.

The trouble is at the moment the Classique appears to be one of the most faked MB pens at the moment so I might be being over cautious, or am I.

The seller claims its genuine (he would say that wouldn't he) but looking at the pictures what do you recon, real or fake

Pictures below. None showing the converter though as it might be missing.

Thanks

Paul

kaisnowbird
November 26th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Nothing jumps out to me as a sign of fake MB.

I would ask the seller to add a converter picture, just to check.

I like mango pudding
November 26th, 2013, 04:33 PM
That is a 145. The nib looks engraved rather than laser etched, which is a good thing. I'm writing with mine right now. I agree with the converter thing.

Mags
November 26th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Ask the seller to post the serial number on the clip and google to see if it is a fake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

mmahany
November 27th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I agree with everything said so far.

My process for spotting replicas:

1.) Check pictures for any signs that it not authentic- I see nothing to suggest that.
2.) Google serial number to check results.
3.) Ask seller for a bit of history on the pen.
4.) Buy pen, disassemble the pen and inspect each piece.
5.) If I'm still on the fence I'll send it in the Montblanc to be authenticated (although I rarely feel the need to do this).

While the fakes/replicas are certainly getting better, I have yet to see one that I could not authenticate in person. Even the best replicas fail on attention to detail on each individual part.

HermetiC
November 27th, 2013, 09:56 AM
In a 145 a good picture of the feeder is the key. The feeder should be notched near the body of the pen. Fakes don't have the notch.