PDA

View Full Version : Two Rarer Birds

Murfie
November 26th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Here's a couple of my rarer Pelikans not often seen in forums here ...

The first is a 1936 Rappen bulb-filler. This pen is in mint condition with no sign of it ever being inked. It has a 14kt gold nib.

The second is a 1949 Ibis 130 piston-filler with a CN nib. I have filled this one with ink and written with it. The nib is incredibly smooth though lacking the softness of a gold nib.

Both of these pens are smaller in dimension so I have included the shot below to show them both alongside an M250 amber demonstrator, that gives some idea of their relative sizes.

Laura N
November 26th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Nice! I especially like the Rappen bulb filler.

KrazyIvan
November 27th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I agree with Laura. The bulb filler looks fantastic. Is the blind cap a different material compared to the barrel?

Murfie
November 27th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Is the blind cap a different material compared to the barrel?
Yes, very observant. The barrel from the section to the blind cap thread is a very dark reddish ink window with restricted transparency. You would have to hold the pen up to a bright light source to see the ink level. The ink window material has a low gloss finish, whereas the blind cap is more of a matt finish and different to both the section and cap.

Tony Rex
November 30th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I can't believe I had missed these lovely old birds. They are gorgeous mate, thanks for sharing.

Since this is in Photography; if I'm not mistaken, your Fuji has no aa filter so a plainer cloth or paper background would be better to reduce moiré. But I must say, those are incredibly sharp shots for a pocketable camera!

Murfie
November 30th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Your Fuji has no aa filter so a plainer cloth or paper background would be better to reduce moiré.
You're right Tony, no filters at all. I've never done any kind of photography in the past except point-and-shoot, so I'm getting a quick education with some good reference books. I've just started using the camera on manual only settings, including aperture, white balance and focus. All a bit of fun and when you love the subject matter, it is even better. Fountains pens make for a great target. The Fuji X10 seems to be a good starting point for someone with my limited skills. And thank you for the kind compliments.

KrazyIvan
December 2nd, 2013, 09:37 AM
Is the blind cap a different material compared to the barrel?
Yes, very observant. The barrel from the section to the blind cap thread is a very dark reddish ink window with restricted transparency. You would have to hold the pen up to a bright light source to see the ink level. The ink window material has a low gloss finish, whereas the blind cap is more of a matt finish and different to both the section and cap.

I can just make out the reddish tinge to the barrel. That is what made me think the blind cap was not the same material. Awesome that your camera was able to capture that subtle difference. Would the barrel color be that way because of age or would it have been that way when new?

Murfie
December 2nd, 2013, 03:41 PM
Would the barrel color be that way because of age or would it have been that way when new?
You have raised another interesting aspect of this pen. I'm no Pelikan expert by a long shot and try to rely on authoritative sources. I use Martin Lehmann and ruettinger-web.de as my two primary resources for information plus I would take as gospel anything that Gary Lehrer (gopens.com) would state.

Rappens were made as a second tier model from 1932 to Oct 15th, 1936, when it was replaced by the Ibis. In 1935 there was a nib imprint change. So Gary's dating of my pen to 1935 appears spot on. I would also accept Gary's NOS condition claim and there is no visual evidence to doubt this. Ruettinger-web.de states that the Rappen had two ink view colors, green and blue. I have found images of green pens, but none with blue. However, I have unearthed several other photos showing a dark red ink view identical to my pen.

Looking very closely at the ink view window, there is absolutely no variation in the color from top to bottom nor via rotation of the pen with a bright background. If age has caused a color change then it has done a perfectly even job.

So to answer your question, Ivan, I don't feel qualified to do that. Perhaps another member might be able to enlighten both of us.

KrazyIvan
December 2nd, 2013, 04:20 PM
Would the barrel color be that way because of age or would it have been that way when new?
You have raised another interesting aspect of this pen. I'm no Pelikan expert by a long shot and try to rely on authoritative sources. I use Martin Lehmann and ruettinger-web.de as my two primary resources for information plus I would take as gospel anything that Gary Lehrer (gopens.com) would state.

Rappens were made as a second tier model from 1932 to Oct 15th, 1936, when it was replaced by the Ibis. In 1935 there was a nib imprint change. So Gary's dating of my pen to 1935 appears spot on. I would also accept Gary's NOS condition claim and there is no visual evidence to doubt this. Ruettinger-web.de states that the Rappen had two ink view colors, green and blue. I have found images of green pens, but none with blue. However, I have unearthed several other photos showing a dark red ink view identical to my pen.

Looking very closely at the ink view window, there is absolutely no variation in the color from top to bottom nor via rotation of the pen with a bright background. If age has caused a color change then it has done a perfectly even job.

So to answer your question, Ivan, I don't feel qualified to do that. Perhaps another member might be able to enlighten both of us.

No worries. I just found the pen fascinating and wanted to know more about it. I have to say it is a great looking specimen. Your picture taking skills are also great!

Murfie
December 2nd, 2013, 04:36 PM
Your picture taking skills are also great!
Thanks, Ivan, for the kind compliment, but I know it's more down to the camera and lighting equipment rather than the old bloke leaning on the shutter. :)

Toulouse
January 1st, 2014, 06:42 PM
Great pens. The bulb filler is really neat.

Fawkes
January 2nd, 2014, 05:16 PM
Both are beautiful. I especially love the bulb filler as I was unaware Pelikan used such a filling system on the Rappens.