PDA

View Full Version : New Pelican M800 Brown Tortoise

JustDaveyB
March 23rd, 2012, 02:00 PM
This one goes to the top of the buy list.

In the paragram on the M101N http://www.nibs.com/NewlyArrived.htm

http://www.pelikanpens.co.uk/acatalog/Pelikan_Forthcoming_Products.html

Maja
March 27th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Oooh la-la....but look at the UK price---£425 (£500 RRP) :eek:

JustDaveyB
March 27th, 2012, 01:05 AM
I didn't say it was cheap, it is better than the $2000-2500 they ask these days for the last run of M800 sized Brown Tortoises...

Maja
March 28th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I didn't say it was cheap, it is better than the $2000-2500 they ask these days for the last run of M800 sized Brown Tortoises...

You mean the one on this page http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e-pelikan-modell-souveraen.html
that says it was "for the Spanish market only"?

If so, then I can see why it fetches so much money, given how incredibly restricted the market was....Sheesh....That doesn't even make sense to me, to restrict distribution to one country that isn't Germany, LOL...Anyway, the new one is too rich for my blood; I'd be so paranoid, worrying that I might drop it or use it ;)

JustDaveyB
March 30th, 2012, 01:52 AM
You mean the one on this page http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e-pelikan-modell-souveraen.html
that says it was "for the Spanish market only"?

If so, then I can see why it fetches so much money, given how incredibly restricted the market was....Sheesh....That doesn't even make sense to me, to restrict distribution to one country that isn't Germany, LOL...Anyway, the new one is too rich for my blood; I'd be so paranoid, worrying that I might drop it or use it ;)

Yes the Spanish only M800 Brown Tortoise was so limited - Crazy.

I will add the one to my very long list of wants. I may actually only buy a body and cap as I have three M800 nibs but only one body in that size - normally that would reduce the price by $120-150 USD.

Maja
March 30th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Yes the Spanish only M800 Brown Tortoise was so limited - Crazy.

I will add the one to my very long list of wants. I may actually only buy a body and cap as I have three M800 nibs but only one body in that size - normally that would reduce the price by $120-150 USD.
Great idea! Never thought about that, but I know Richard Binder's site shows that many of the Pelikan models can be purchased without the screw-in nib. I hope you get your M800 in Brown Tortoise, JustDaveyB! :D

JustDaveyB
March 31st, 2012, 07:37 AM
Great idea! Never thought about that, but I know Richard Binder's site shows that many of the Pelikan models can be purchased without the screw-in nib. I hope you get your M800 in Brown Tortoise, JustDaveyB! :D

Mr Binder is my main new Pelikan supplier. His prices are very competitive and he does offer most of the Pelikan's without nib. Though I am keen for a 1.3mm CI ground from a M800 3B nib - I will see how the budget looks later this year.

Maja
March 31st, 2012, 11:03 AM
Mr Binder is my main new Pelikan supplier. His prices are very competitive and he does offer most of the Pelikan's without nib. Though I am keen for a 1.3mm CI ground from a M800 3B nib - I will see how the budget looks later this year.
That sounds like a cool nib, and of course, Richard has said that he will continue to customize new pens that he sells on his site (which includes Pelikans) after the deadline for "outside" nibwork has passed.

JustDaveyB
April 1st, 2012, 03:42 AM
That sounds like a cool nib, and of course, Richard has said that he will continue to customize new pens that he sells on his site (which includes Pelikans) after the deadline for "outside" nibwork has passed.

It does I have a similar nib for my M6XX pens done by John Mottishaw but to get the width in the M600 size he had to use iridium wire welded on nib as tipping material
images here --> http://www.justdaveyb.com/2011/12/into-rotation-pelikan-m620-stockholm.html

Pendora
January 30th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Just an FYI folks:
I just posted a new thread that Pelikan has given me the green light to take advanced orders on the M800 tortoisshell being released in February.
This is going to go really fast, so if you seriously have your eye on this pen, then you may want to reserve.
$750 List, Intro price $625. I am placing customers on the list for a $400 deposit and giving a $25 discount off the balance for all orders that mention they are Pen-geeks at the time of their order
. 1636

jmcf1949
February 7th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Will the piston be press fit plastic, threaded plastic, or brass? I've heard it will be plastic.

Jim

earthdawn
February 8th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Will the piston be press fit plastic, threaded plastic, or brass? I've heard it will be plastic.

Jim

I read a quick review from someone who just got one and he said it is indeed plastic BUT that he saw the notches giving the impression it is screwed in and NOT a press fit.

WOW is it a beautiful pen... the Tortoise section is stunning.

Pendora
February 8th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Theres some argument here but Im pretty sure it will be plastic. Since Im new to the Pelikan line, Im just not cerain yet. If you decided you want it, let me know as soon as possible. Pelikan is telling us they plan to sell out before long and special orders are mounting. Ill order in with 50% down and still price match what any other authorized seller offers. Since Im new to pelikan I just want to earn some trust with my pelikan folks. [{QUOTE=jmcf1949;16006]Will the piston be press fit plastic, threaded plastic, or brass? I've heard it will be plastic.

Jim[/QUOTE]

fountainpenkid
February 8th, 2013, 05:23 PM
It is plastic COATED. The standard metal m800 piston is used, but pelikan coated it in plastic for aesthetics.

earthdawn
February 8th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Yea.. someone on the other board got an email from Pelikan directly and they said it is the same brass but they coated it black for aesthetics...

The Good Captain
February 9th, 2013, 02:51 AM
This comment received in an e-mail from Pelikan in response to my concern:

The Pelikan M800 Tortoiseshell Brown is equipped with the well-known brass mechanism with an added cover in black chrome.

As I thought: a proper pen and I await its arrival with breathless anticipation.

fountainpenkid
February 9th, 2013, 03:08 PM
This comment received in an e-mail from Pelikan in response to my concern:

The Pelikan M800 Tortoiseshell Brown is equipped with the well-known brass mechanism with an added cover in black chrome.

As I thought: a proper pen and I await its arrival with breathless anticipation.

Black Chrome? Interesting!

JustDaveyB
February 13th, 2013, 04:25 AM

Order placed with Mr Binder - cap and body only... :)

caribbean_skye
February 13th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Order placed with Mr Binder - cap and body only... :)

Okay this may be a silly questions, but why just the cap and body?

tiffanyhenschel
February 13th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Okay this may be a silly questions, but why just the cap and body?

It's not a silly question at all. Pelikan nibs are interchangeable, so if you have the nibs you want, you can order just the body and cap and put in your favorite nib. It could also be beneficial in a case like this where the pens will sell out fast. You can order just the body and cap now for a lesser amount than a whole pen and order the nib you want later. It is probably more expensive in the long run that way, but you have the body style you want before they sell out.

JustDaveyB
February 13th, 2013, 01:48 PM
It's not a silly question at all. Pelikan nibs are interchangeable, so if you have the nibs you want, you can order just the body and cap and put in your favorite nib. It could also be beneficial in a case like this where the pens will sell out fast. You can order just the body and cap now for a lesser amount than a whole pen and order the nib you want later. It is probably more expensive in the long run that way, but you have the body style you want before they sell out.

Basically What Tiffany said. :)

I own M800 nibs in 0.6mm stub, 0.6mm CI , 0.7mm CI (all Binder Grinds), Fine x 2, Medium x 2, Oblique Broad and Italic Broad so another nib was not really needed

If I got a nib it would have to been a custom ground one so instead of spending US$460 plus freight it would have been around US$660 - freight to Australia is US$50 so it all adds up...

JustDaveyB
February 27th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Woo Hoo Pelikan M800 Tortoiseshell Brown has shipped from Mr Binder. Cleaned and waiting is my 0.7mm Ci also by Mr Binder. First ink is a choice between Montblanc Collodi Brown, Noodler's Beaver or Waterman Havana Brown.

The Good Captain
February 28th, 2013, 01:24 AM
I've put R&K Salix in mine. Really nice.
I've just changed my mind and have replaced it with Montblanc Midnight Blue. (Obviously after afollowing the proper procedure for iron-gall replacement/exchange.)
THIS is a very nice PIP - Pen-Ink-Partnership!

fountainpenkid
March 1st, 2013, 01:56 PM
Now you can win one! Dare I say this is the best FPGeeks Giveaway yet!

JustDaveyB
March 2nd, 2013, 01:55 AM
Now you can win one! Dare I say this is the best FPGeeks Giveaway yet!

I have entered the giveaway - I would like two M800 BTs

fountainpenkid
March 3rd, 2013, 06:27 AM
I have entered the giveaway - I would like two M800 BTs

TWO of the same pen!? That would be something for sure.

Bogon07
March 3rd, 2013, 07:53 PM
TWO of the same pen!? That would be something for sure.

Just two !
JustDaveyB could do with a few to help balance out all the M600s in the collection. :bump2:
http://justdaveyb.com/2013/02/14/my-pelikans-as-a-mind-map/

fountainpenkid
March 5th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Just two !
JustDaveyB could do with a few to help balance out all the M600s in the collection. :bump2:
http://justdaveyb.com/2013/02/14/my-pelikans-as-a-mind-map/

Yes...but two of the same pen? Doesn't that sound a little silly especially with a pen of this price?

Bogon07
March 5th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Yes...but two of the same pen? Doesn't that sound a little silly especially with a pen of this price?

Silliness is relative.
I could imagine some people who really like a pen getting a backup or one for their spouse.

JustDaveyB
March 6th, 2013, 01:30 PM
I have several doubles in my collection, admittedly with different nibs but I see no difference here.

82-Greg
March 8th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Finally got mine in the mail today. Absolutely beautiful. The nib is Bold Italic.

The Good Captain
March 9th, 2013, 01:30 AM
I've now got R&K Scabiosa in mine and it's even better!

The Good Captain
March 10th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Actually, I changed my mind and have now filled it with Montblanc Midnight Blue, which is what I'd planned right from the start. Absolutely spot-on!

JustDaveyB
March 14th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Mine arrived today, inked it up with Montblanc Carlo Collodi Brown

My two Brown Torties (M415 & M800)

http://justdaveyb.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/bts2_20130314_tn.jpg

snedwos
March 14th, 2013, 04:20 PM
The 400 seems much browner...

JustDaveyB
March 15th, 2013, 02:51 PM
The 400 seems much browner...

It certainly is browner. I like that they are different.