PDA

View Full Version : Parker 51 Vac with cracked barrel which solvent to try and repair it

Paul-H
November 30th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Hi all

I have a Parker 51 Vacumatic that has a cracked Barrel, anyone know what is the best solvent to use to try and weld the crack shut.

Thanks

Paul

Paul-H
December 2nd, 2013, 03:02 AM
Just in case anyone else needs to know this as those that did know wanted to keep it to themselves ;)

The Product called Plastic Weld did an excellent job of welding the crack and the pen has been returned to full working order.

Paul

Annie
December 2nd, 2013, 09:41 AM
Just in case anyone else needs to know this as those that did know wanted to keep it to themselves ;)

The Product called Plastic Weld did an excellent job of welding the crack and the pen has been returned to full working order.

Paul

I didn't know. I do now. :)

Rick Krantz
December 3rd, 2013, 07:52 PM
I just sold a replacement barrel for a black vac fill 51 to someone for $10 shipped CONUS.

I am hesitant to think that the lucite will remain leak free, but cool that it has worked.

If you need a barrel, hit me up, I will be glad to help you out. as long as it isn't a rare color... nassau, mustard, buckskin, lol...

Paul-H
December 4th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the offer Rick, wish you had replied sooner as I just ordered one from Parker51.com for a lot more than that :(

The repair is still holding though and it was at the filler end so there is a lot of pressure applied to the joint, but I need to sell it as I have more than enough 51 Vacs in my personal collection so the Codovan Brown one needs to be sold, even though I will never recoup the cost of the barrel as 51's don't go for very much in the UK, good job I got the pen at a good price in the first place, I might just break even, if I am lucky.

I wonder why 51 Vacs and Aero pens struggle to hit £30 over here in the UK but top £100 in America, why don't the Americans buy from the UK! we buy from America all the time, What's happened to our "Special relationship" :(

Paul

welch
December 27th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the offer Rick, wish you had replied sooner as I just ordered one from Parker51.com for a lot more than that :(

The repair is still holding though and it was at the filler end so there is a lot of pressure applied to the joint, but I need to sell it as I have more than enough 51 Vacs in my personal collection so the Codovan Brown one needs to be sold, even though I will never recoup the cost of the barrel as 51's don't go for very much in the UK, good job I got the pen at a good price in the first place, I might just break even, if I am lucky.

I wonder why 51 Vacs and Aero pens struggle to hit £30 over here in the UK but top £100 in America, why don't the Americans buy from the UK! we buy from America all the time, What's happened to our "Special relationship" :(

Paul

Ha! About a year after I started using fountain pens again, and well after I developed a yen for the famous P51, I discovered, mostly by accident, that the "English" 51s had wider nibs, and more of them were medium...my favorite.

I quit buying pens a year or two ago -- wife threatened to destroy any pen that arrived in the mail -- but P51 and 61 prices on EBay UK seemed about the same as the US...maybe a shade more expensive. (OK...about three monhs ago, I got a new job and bought a pair of juicy medium nibbed English P61s. The prices were surprisingly low)

ac12
December 27th, 2013, 02:58 PM

Paul

I've bought stuff out of the UK, but sometimes the shipping to the US increases the total price to be a bad deal.
So I have to bid low enough to cover the extra shipping cost to the US. Sometimes I win, but many times I loose.
I've bought out of other places in Europe, it just depends on where the item is, and what the total cost comes out to be vs. my budget.

Frank
December 27th, 2013, 04:17 PM
My dad (handy man by hobby!) solved my broken vac barrel problem by putting a clear plastic "sleeve" inside the barrel. Then, the two halves were joined via epoxy bond. It was a few years ago, but the pen is still doing great! (it was/is my first vac, and was given a new diaphragm by one of our experts)

The replacement barrel is the more sensible way to go, though! (Just don't tell the old man!) ;)

Edit- Here is the link to the original post/story:

http://thefountainpencommunity.activeboard.com/t34767591/parker-vac-barrel-crack/