PDA

View Full Version : Parker Jack Knife Demonstrator

Penne Stilografiche
November 30th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I recently acquired a Parker Jack Knife Demonstrator (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-34-Parker-Jack-Knife-Lucky-Curve-Demonstrator-c1920-4-Size-/121207800112?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=RFQVknMzM2NP4wLep9oO3aBQO3U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc) and I would like to know a little more information about it. So, how many of them do you think are in existence and how much do you think it is worth? Also, if you guys happen to have anymore info on this pen, please post it in this thread.

-Vincenzo

Jeph
November 30th, 2013, 04:48 PM
It looks like a #20 but it is hard to tell. Is there a number on the top of the cap?

Edit: Top of the blind cap.
Dimensions would also be helpful.

There were demonstrators for sure, but I don't have any useful information. Clearly, it is worth far more than a nickel, regardless of which model it is. Early for sure I would think. If the nib is original, 4Q 1934 maybe?

Penne Stilografiche
November 30th, 2013, 05:18 PM
It looks like a #20 but it is hard to tell. Is there a number on the top of the cap?

Edit: Top of the blind cap.
Dimensions would also be helpful.

There were demonstrators for sure, but I don't have any useful information. Clearly, it is worth far more than a nickel, regardless of which model it is. Early for sure I would think. If the nib is original, 4Q 1934 maybe?

There is no number on the blind cap although it is a #4 size pen. It measures 5 1/8 in. closed. The nib is not original, it should have a #4 Lucky Curve nib. It was most likely made during the 1920's.

I don't anything else about this pen except for the information above. I collect Parker Demonstrators, so when I saw this pen on ebay I knew I had to own it. Before purchasing this pen, all of the demonstrators I have purchased were easy to look up (Parker Vac. demo, jotter demo, etc.) I can't find any information about this pen except for the details in the auction listing.

Penne Stilografiche
November 30th, 2013, 10:12 PM
I forgot to add in.... Does this look like a true demonstrator or just one of the clear Bakelite versions of the Jack Knife?

Penne Stilografiche
November 30th, 2013, 10:27 PM
I forgot to add in.... Does this look like a true demonstrator or just one of the clear Bakelite versions of the Jack Knife?

Please disregard this. I just looked up how to test an item to see if it is celluloid or Bakelite. One of the sites I found stated that if you rub a paper towel with a bit of Simichrome polish on bakelite, the part of the paper towel that had the Simichrome polish on it will turn yellow. The paper towel did not turn yellow, so the only material my pen could be is celluloid.

kirchh
December 5th, 2013, 10:45 AM
According to Parker materials, clear-barreled pens were initially made as demonstrators for Parker representatives; they used them to demonstrate items to dealers. The dealers seized upon them as a novel sales tool, and Parker then supplied them to dealers for demonstrating pens to customers. Finally, customers took an interest in them, and Parker began offering them as retail items. They are solidly documented in Parker catalogs with Bakelite barrels, for which Parker supposedly had an exclusive license with (most likely) the General Bakelite Company.

The use of celluloid instead of Bakelite is interesting, and, as far as I know, not known to be documented or otherwise definitively explained to date. The timing is also mysterious; was celluloid used in these items prior to Sheaffer (and shortly thereafter, Parker) manufacturing pens with it? Your pen has an earlier style clip with essentially no perpendicular segment between the securing ring and the longitudinal shaft; compare with later, Duofold-style clips. The cap is bandless and appears to be hard rubber. It also has that late nib (4th quarter of 1934?). I would resist any temptation to "correct" the pen by replacing any of the parts; seemingly "incorrect" configurations sometimes represent important historical clues.

Here's another pen in a similar vein:

http://home.comcast.net/~kirchh/Misc/Parker_Lucky_Curve_Demonstrator.jpg

--Daniel