PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer ID

OldSchool
December 1st, 2013, 02:09 PM
Hubby found an old Sheaffer while browsing a secondhand store and, of course, brought it home to me ;)
Might be a a Touchdown Thin Pen, but I'm not sure. Will someone kindly ID it for me? In one photo I have placed the pen in question next to a Parker 51 for reference. Thanks!

Paul-H
December 1st, 2013, 03:05 PM
Hi

It looks like a Touchdown thin model to me, with a Triumph nib, IIRC these where Sheaffers pens just before they brought out the Snorkel, I might be wrong about that though as I am new to Sheaffer collecting myself.

Others will correct me if I am wrong. ;)

Paul

jar
December 1st, 2013, 03:33 PM
Sheaffer "TM" or Snorkel. Need to see the feed to say which for sure. Nice Parker as well.

Paul-H
December 2nd, 2013, 12:18 AM
It's got what looks like an ink window so it won't be a Snorkel

Paul

HughC
December 2nd, 2013, 01:39 PM
As Paul mentions it's a TM TD Valiant. These date from '51/52 and the Valiant sat in the middle of the standard range, being the lowest priced model with a Triumph nib. it looks blue which is called "Persian Blue", a slightly less common colour than the most often seen burgundy. The pen most likely needs a new sac and a o-ring, not a difficult job most of the time ( although the o-ring can be frustrating at times) but if you're only going to have one easier to send it out. It may still work of course. A high quality pen, enjoy!!

Regards
Hugh

OldSchool
December 2nd, 2013, 03:37 PM
Thank you all. Although it writes smoothly--and I'm enjoying using it--there do seem to be issues with ink flow. Thinking about sending it out--haven't a clue about refurbishing pens--I'm more of an "enjoyer" :) Any and all suggestions regarding nibmeisters welcome.

OldSchool
December 2nd, 2013, 03:43 PM
Thank you, jar. The 51 belonged to my grandfather, who has been gone for many years. As a child fascinated with it, I used to beg him to let me write my name with it. He always acquiesced, though he kept a watchful eye as I used it :) Over 40 years later it began my interest in fountain pens--

jar
December 2nd, 2013, 03:56 PM
Thank you, jar. The 51 belonged to my grandfather, who has been gone for many years. As a child fascinated with it, I used to beg him to let me write my name with it. He always acquiesced, though he kept a watchful eye as I used it :) Over 40 years later it began my interest in fountain pens--

If you are in the US I'd suggest contacting Danny Fudge of the Write Pen (http://www.thewritepen.net/). Tell Danny as much as you can about what is happening and send a sample of your writing along for him to see.

Jon Szanto
December 2nd, 2013, 04:09 PM
x2 on Danny. Great work, nice guy.

OldSchool
December 2nd, 2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks again!