PDA

View Full Version : Pursuit of Seni-Mythical Grail Pens

82-Greg
December 2nd, 2013, 05:45 AM
I've got a line on one of my long-standing, grail pens finally. I saw one once at the first pen show I went to and was immediately drawn to it, but I considered the price to be ridiculous ($500 firm). In my naïvety, I walked away. Since that time, I've seen photos, done research and developed a completely insane lust for this pen, which means the previous price I walked away from might only be noted in passing. It's been five years, and the deal isn't done (which is why I refuse to identify the pen until it rests in my hot hand).

In my case, thousands were produced of this "limited edition," but I haven't seen one in person since that first pen show.

What is the longest period you have searched for and finally found a grail pen? At some point did price really matter? Will you name the pen(s) you are looking for?

chad.trent
December 2nd, 2013, 08:41 AM
I waited three years or so to find an Esterbrook Visumaster. It wasn't an issue of waiting to find the right price. I knew what they went for and was willing to pay it. The problem was I just could never find one for sale at all. Then just a couple days ago I found one. And for a great price on top of that...

fountainpenkid
December 2nd, 2013, 07:04 PM
I have been searching for a Mont Blanc 142 for over a year...I've gotten quite close to buying one...and was planning on finally doing so this year, but I'm going to buy a ukulele and need all funds to go towards the cost of the instrument.

tandaina
December 2nd, 2013, 08:25 PM
I've been looking for a 142 with OBB (or OB) nib for about a year as well. But I just bought a horse and need to find a saddle... So all pen buying is on hold for probably the next year.

Bogon07
December 2nd, 2013, 08:44 PM
I have been searching for a Mont Blanc 142 for over a year...I've gotten quite close to buying one...and was planning on finally doing so this year, but I'm going to buy a ukulele and need all funds to go towards the cost of the instrument.
Then you can use the ukulele to "busk" for money for the MontBlanc142. :)

penguinmaster
December 2nd, 2013, 10:35 PM
My "grail" pen was one I never thought I'd be able to get due to the price. I've been collecting since 2005 (roughly) and it was a pen I've wanted shortly after I started collecting, so I guess 7-8 years now. The pen in question is the Graf Von Faber Castell Walden Woods fountain pen. I won't go into a long story of why it was a grail pen for me, but it is/was one since the day I saw it. That said I'll tell you the story of how I came across one.

I had been on collecting binge (yeah...it was an expensive binge) for GFVC classics to complete the line-up. Something about the combination of wood and platinum/sterling silver really intrigues me, plus the craftsmanship of the pens. I knew though for the most part, that while I was able to get most of the classic line of pens at a reasonable (and most I bought for more than reasonable) price the Walden Wood pen would probably continue to elude me as they were always priced in the 500-700 range. Way more than I'd ever spend on one pen.

Well like I said I was making my nightly perusal of eBay to see what I could find and came across what was listed as a very worn out Walden Woods Rollerball pen. The writing was completely gone, the cap was dented, but when comparing pictures to ones on the internet, it definitely was the pen. The seller wanted $175 for it as is, but I've learned to always at least ask, and I offered $150 and he took it. I figured while not a pristine example of the pen, at least I had a semblance of the pen now. I got to thinking though and on a whim e-mailed GFVC customer service to see if they'd be willing to sell me a new barrel for the pen, thinking it was a long shot. They told me no, but suggested I send it in to see if they could do anything that might help. So I got the pen, and the same day it went back out to GFVC for them to look at.

Low and Behold a few days later I got an e-mail from their rep telling me they'd replace the barrel at no cost as long as I was fine that I'd lose the limited edition number etched on the platinum base. Believe me when I tell you I had no issue with that!

So it arrived back home, I replaced the rollerball section with a fountain pen section I had and now I have what is/was my ultimate grail pen for way way less than I would have ever hoped to have bought it for.

dduran
December 2nd, 2013, 10:47 PM
My "grail" pen was one I never thought I'd be able to get due to the price. I've been collecting since 2005 (roughly) and it was a pen I've wanted shortly after I started collecting, so I guess 7-8 years now. The pen in question is the Graf Von Faber Castell Walden Woods fountain pen. I won't go into a long story of why it was a grail pen for me, but it is/was one since the day I saw it. That said I'll tell you the story of how I came across one.

Cool pen and amazing story to go along with it!

AndyT
December 3rd, 2013, 02:58 AM
I'm not in active pursuit, but I still have an eye open for roughly the right Waterman with exactly the right nib. I could have done with it by chucking a heap of money at the "problem", but experience suggests that it's much more satisfying to let good fortune and serendipity play their part - anyway, it's not as if I need another pen right now.

kaisnowbird
December 3rd, 2013, 06:07 AM
I'm not in active pursuit, but I still have an eye open for roughly the right Waterman with exactly the right nib. I could have done with it by chucking a heap of money at the "problem", but experience suggests that it's much more satisfying to let good fortune and serendipity play their part - anyway, it's not as if I need another pen right now.

Same here, except I'm not very actively looking for a particular Parker 51 for sentimental reasons.

reprieve
December 3rd, 2013, 06:11 AM

This is my philosophy as well. I'd love to find that perfect vintage music nib and that perfect stub-nibbed Sheaffer Snorkel, and I'm keeping my eyes open, but I'm not actively looking. Eventually the pens will find me.

KrazyIvan
December 3rd, 2013, 08:34 AM
If I could ever afford an Omas 360 (old style) I would get one. I am still kicking myself for missing out on an auction where I could have had it for $113 IIRC.

mmahany
December 3rd, 2013, 10:11 AM
I suppose the only pen I'm actively searching for is a Montblanc Hemingway. It's not an issue of finding one, but rather finding one at a price I'd consider to be a good deal. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one to purchase for under $2000.

orfew
December 3rd, 2013, 11:18 AM
I searched for a Montblanc Masterpiece in Coral red. It took a year or so but I finally found one. It is a no. 25 push knob filler overhauled by Francis from FPN. I love the push knob fillers. all the ease of a button filler with no chance of losing a blind cap.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh320/Orfew/2013-10-30053613_zps9a349554.jpg (http://s259.photobucket.com/user/Orfew/media/2013-10-30053613_zps9a349554.jpg.html)
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh320/Orfew/2013-10-30053525_zpsc5aa9576.jpg (http://s259.photobucket.com/user/Orfew/media/2013-10-30053525_zpsc5aa9576.jpg.html)

fountainpenkid
December 3rd, 2013, 04:04 PM

I have busked before, when I was younger. If you're young and fearless, people love plopping the cash in. But I don' think the same thing would happen today. I am going to NYC this spring though so I could try, although the ukulele is custom and takes months to build. (and is going to cost over $1000).

fountainpenkid
December 3rd, 2013, 04:05 PM
If I could ever afford an Omas 360 (old style) I would get one. I am still kicking myself for missing out on an auction where I could have had it for $113 IIRC.

Sometimes those old style Omases go for nothing. I see the same thing with the Dama model...some have sold under $100.

Bogon07
December 3rd, 2013, 05:08 PM

I have busked before, when I was younger. If you're young and fearless, people love plopping the cash in. But I don' think the same thing would happen today. I am going to NYC this spring though so I could try, although the ukulele is custom and takes months to build. (and is going to cost over $1000).

Gosh you will have to be careful with it when you get it.

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain do some very entertaining versions of popular songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pLgJ7pk0X-s

One of my grail pens is the Visconti Mudejar Art 2007 & the other a Pelikan Cobra

Bogon07
December 3rd, 2013, 05:18 PM

But you never know how high that bidder could have gone to up in such cases. Particularly if you get into a bidding war.

The new translucent triangular body 360s are quite attractive too. Mrs Bogon is checking some out in Florence this week she has already commented on the texture.

KrazyIvan
December 3rd, 2013, 05:28 PM

But you never know how high that bidder could have gone to up in such cases. Particularly if you get into a bidding war.

The new translucent triangular body 360s are quite attractive too. Mrs Bogon is checking some out in Florence this week she has already commented on the texture.

True, but that's what it ended at and I should have upped my bid before going to lunch.

AndyT
December 3rd, 2013, 06:10 PM
The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain do some very entertaining versions of popular songs.

Oh yes, indeed. :)

Given my location, just up t'road from Haworth, this is my favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF0VaBxb27w

Frank
December 3rd, 2013, 07:57 PM
Always wanted the Omas 360 Vision Clear Myself!

:-)

Bogon07
December 4th, 2013, 06:06 PM

FPK,

I you get bored playing it in a conventional manner James Hill from Canada demonstrates so exciting experimental techniques. Probably better tested on a less expensive instrument.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/08/musician-james-ukulele/

spotted and speckled
December 4th, 2013, 07:39 PM
About 8 years ago, I saw a pen that Roger Cromwell had at a pen show. Under glass, and the woman who was talking to him wouldn't shut up. I left his table and came back about 15 minutes later, and it was gone. I hadn't even held it in my hands. Love from afar, the worst kind. It took me awhile but I finally figured out that it was either a LE edition of a Namiki or an Aurora Optima Green Aurolide. I'm still not sure, but I got the first version of the Aurolide (used, for 1/3 of what the new ones go for) last year and am very happy with it. I had it retipped by Greg Minuskin a few months ago, and I don't think I could be any happier with a pen.

fountainpenkid
December 4th, 2013, 08:35 PM

FPK,

I you get bored playing it in a conventional manner James Hill from Canada demonstrates so exciting experimental techniques. Probably better tested on a less expensive instrument.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/08/musician-james-ukulele/

James Hill is awesome! He performed here in Madison once at the premiere of the documentary called The Mighty Uke. It was really fun to see him live! His styles are very innovative, and the range of things he performs is great. That ukulele he plays is awesome as well.

bluefeathers
December 19th, 2013, 09:05 PM
I feel for you fountainpenkid...I walked away from an MB 142 in 'F' (my favorite nib size) at the DC pen show for $200 and have been regretting it ever since! my reasoning: I was looking for a vintage 144, and had just reached my limit of pen buying that weekend. Had I known the prices go down drastically the last day, I would have waited. So if you can make it to a pen show, maybe it'll show up again :) Just this past weekend a vintage 144 (whoever was bidding thought it was real and it certainly looked it, but I'm no expert) went for $250 on the 'bay. I do think that some pens you have to scoop up, others it may be sweeter for the wait if you know that there's a good chance you'll find them again.

fountainpenkid
December 19th, 2013, 10:02 PM
I've found montblancs to be overpriced at the shows.

bluefeathers
December 20th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Yes, me too, and they're the same prices online generally it seems...

pajaro
December 26th, 2013, 05:51 AM
I had pursued a Parker 51 in plum color for years. I finally got one by manually sniping an ebay auction. Around $204. Then all the jokesters on fpn post about getting a plum mislabled as burgundy for next to nothing. I think there is a large bs factor there. Now, I want no particular pen. Someday I might like to have a nice Waterman. No rush. Possibly I'll just put a Waterman nib in an Estie.

In the meantime I'll just use my red MB 144s from the eighties. These are the best pens.

Scrawler
December 26th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I am not pursuing a grail pen, because I am realistic enough to know that I will never be in a position to spend $1600 on a pen.

82-Greg
December 26th, 2013, 05:08 PM
My grail pen!

Pen collection finished (for now)!

pajaro
December 26th, 2013, 07:32 PM
What is it?

VertOlive
December 26th, 2013, 07:58 PM
I have a Grail List:

Platinum 3776 Celluloid Koi [actually in the mail as I write]

Nakaya Naka-ai Brown-Green

Platinum Century Maki-e Black Tiger--this is the BIG one for me.

Then I'll be all done for a while.

82-Greg
December 27th, 2013, 04:05 AM
I forgot to name the pen:

It is an Elysee Impression No 1. "Towards the Light" by artist Manfred Eberhard. Elysee shut down about 10 years ago. A great reference is here (http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Elysee/ElyseeCloisonne.htm). There are several articles on Elysee.

kaisnowbird
December 28th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Not sure if I would call it my grail pen, but it certainly is an object of some serious desire for me -- Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red LE with a factory stub nib.

AndrewW
December 28th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Mine, 'accidentally' acquired earlier this year. Chance eBay auction...Fired a bid in for $37, got it for $32.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32508821/IMG_20131226_183309.jpg
A USA broad nibbed Parker 51 Cartridge/converter. It's been through some trauma (ok, it got run over by a car. Can you tell?), but it's still a lovely writer that gets used everyday alongside my Snorkel and 2000. I'm not certain whether it's a bit too much for a student to be running around with though, but it does clean easily compared to an aerometric or vacumatic.

Runnin_Ute
December 28th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Don't know that I would call it a grail, but would love to have a Parker 45 Flighter. Had the ballpoint, would love to replace it and make it a set. The bp I had was lost, it was a Made in UK version.

Sun Anvil
December 29th, 2013, 05:45 PM
For me:

1) A cap for my John Holland #72 BCHR
2) A Parker T1
3) A 8556 Esterbrook "Sunburst" nib. I have a 3556 but need/want an 8556
4) Esterbrook marbled V-Clip $1.50 pen

#2 and #4 hurts my budget and #1, #3 are just flat out hard to find. OK, a little more than just pens but they are pen related ;)

Penne Stilografiche
December 30th, 2013, 01:17 PM
I've been looking for a 142 with OBB (or OB) nib for about a year as well. But I just bought a horse and need to find a saddle... So all pen buying is on hold for probably the next year.

I have a 142 with a broad nib, they are great little pens. I bought mine on the American ebay, and paid a normal price you'd expect to pay for one on ebay.com, but recently I started kicking myself for buying it there. I started buying vintage Montblancs on the German ebay (ebay.de), where Montblancs sell for ridiculously low prices. A 142 just sold for 50.40 (http://www.ebay.de/itm/Alter-Fueller-MONTBLANC-Meisterstueck-Masterpiece-142-M-OK-50er-Jahre-/111234647327?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_HomeOffice_Schreibg er%C3%A4te&hash=item19e61a051f&nma=true&si=WqxtIS0xzGkQAXOiYnhX0914wn4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557) euro on December 11th, which is the equivalent to only $69.63! Even with shipping, you can find one for less than $100.