PDA

View Full Version : Field Notes Original Grid Pocket Notebook

heath
December 3rd, 2013, 11:24 AM
For all the pics with the full review click here: http://penpaperinkletter.com/field-notes-original-grid-pocket-notebook-review/

This is the Field Notes pocket notebook with original covers and 3/16″ (4.7mm) grid interior. It is the traditional 3.5″ x 5.5″ Field Notes standard. These books, of the staple bound selections, have the benefit of three staples as opposed to the two that most others of the same size have adopted. I am a grid guy so this is the best of the best Field Notes for me. As for covers I am not picky. I like the basic look of the original cover and the simple typographic logo has become iconic on these books.

Size

I am not sure if FN were the pioneers of this size but they are definitely the most prolific 3.5″ x 5.5″ books on the market so I am working the size in as a specific part of this review even though in comparison it is the exact same size as several others including Word, Calepino, Moleskine and more.

I have gone on record that at this time my pocket notebook of choice is a bit shorter than this at 3.5″ x 5″ which is standard “passport” size. I can use any wallet or case made for the US passport with that notebook. Also, I mentioned in another review that another plus of the shorter size is that in most pockets I use the Field Notes stick out a bit but the ones I use fit just inside the lip of the pocket. That being said, Field Notes will likely be considered the prefered size by those that already have FN specific cases or would like to have a bit of the notebook showing to make it easier to grab from the pocket.

The Exterior

The outside of this notebook is made of a thick “Packing Brown Wrap” cover. I have looked for details on these notebooks but I cannot find anything on their materials online (which is a problem I have with FN). The details are in the back of the books but it is discouraging that it is not easy to find for perspective buyers.

I am not certain if this is because the materials are constantly changing and thus each notebook contains its correct specs but listing them online would be difficult or if there is some other reason or that I simply cannot find them on their site. According to the inside back cover of the notebook it is French Sur-O-Tone 80#C “Packing Brown Wrap.” It is thicker than the paper inside but not as thick as any of the other pocket notebook covers I have reviewed to date.

The spine is folded and creased and bound with three staples. The outside corners are rounded to 3/8″. The front cover has the logo and the page count on one line followed by a brand mention “Durable Materials” and “Made in the U.S.A.” and the back cover has at the bottom a smaller FN logo, the URL and Another mention of the origin country and manufacturer. One thing missing is what the notebook interior contains, as in graph/ruled/blank, but I assume that allows them to print one cover for all editions thus saving them some money.

The Interior

This is the graph notebook and it has 4.7mm square light brown or tan intersecting lines. I also have the ruled and blank versions of this notebook and the paper is the same except for the printing. The front inside cover has a pre-printed presentation page for id and other notations. The inside back cover has a 5″ ruler on the edge and information on the Field Notes brand as well as some uses for the book and specs. Mine has a 2013 copyright.

The paper inside is “Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 50#T ‘Bright White’ with the lines printed in “light brown soy-based Toyo ink.” It is adequate for most ball and gel pens as well as pencils but not for fountain pens, markers or porous tipped pens. The entire book is made from folding 24 7″ x 5″ pages in half and stapling them to the cover from the outside in.

The Binding

I have already mentioned this but as it is my favorite feature of the Field Notes brand in terms of beating their competition I will mention it again. These books use three staples instead of two along the spine. This actually greatly increases the sturdiness of the binding. I have had another two staple book lose the cover because one staple came through and the one left was quick to follow. A two point setup is just not as sound.

The Culture

I have to mention the FN culture as this is my first true FN review on PPIL. Field Notes are bigger than their product. It isn’t something I care about but if you do then staying in that culture might add a check to the pro column here. They are easier to find because they have sought to be in every shop that will have them. They make simple but iconic small wholesale display kits that anyone can put in their store and that people seek out using store locators as well as ordering online. I have two places within walking distance of my office in my small college town that have these and I regularly check out what they have in stock even though I rarely buy anything new. It’s just the thought in the back of your head saying “What’s new with Field Notes” that other pocket notebook brands just haven’t been able to replicate at this point.

Conclusion

To wrap up, this is a solid pocket grid notebook for those who live in the ball pen world and want a quick jotter that slightly extends from their pocket or that has a special sized cover on hand. These are well made and the materials are not “cheap” even if they aren’t of the same quality as some others. The collectability and culture have done a lot to make this brand what it is but the notebooks themselves haven’t seemed to notice, they are still just as simple as they have always been.

-Heath
@WeThePPIL

jacksterp
December 6th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Field Notes are trendy, cute, somewhat practical and expensive.

Sometimes the paper used works well with fountain pens and sometimes it doesn't.

In this review - it seems the latter.