PDA

View Full Version : So, what's your Parker Preference?

Kelly G
March 30th, 2010, 06:19 PM
It is a tough question for me. I have carried daily a nice "51" (Aerometric Forest Green standard w/ gf cap Medium nib) for at least six months maybe longer. It is ultimately reliable and that's why I carry it along with another pen or two. The "51" just doesn't fail to write, first time, every time.

I'm also a big fan of vintage Duofolds, flat tops, streamlined, or striped, they are all great pens. Vacumatics too - great pens and fun to restore (usually).

The 45's, 61's,& 75's all have their place and I have a few.

Let's just say, I like vintage Parker pens.:cool:

dannzeman
March 30th, 2010, 09:51 PM
The Vacumatic is by far my most favorite Parker. I so really like the 51 but it's a distant second. I carry a five pen wrap ever day and two spots are always filled with the same two vacs. Always.
I also really enjoy restoring vac fillers too and I love polishing 51s because I can get a wet-like shine on them.
I've never really cared for Duofolds though. The design just never did anything for me.

Sent from my htc HERO using Tapatalk

Okami
March 31st, 2010, 03:44 AM
Has to be the 51 for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eriquito
March 31st, 2010, 10:07 AM
I'd love to be part of the "in" crowd and claim to love the Parker 51. Unfortunately, I don't. Not for lack of effort. I've owned many. In fact, a 51 was the very first fountain pen I ever purchased for myself.

There's no denying that they are reliable. But I just can't seem to shake the notion that I want to see the nib of the fountain pen I'm using. The whole nib. The shape of the nib. The imprint, the breather hole, everything.

The sad reality is that I have yet to find a Parker that I absolutely love. However, there is hope! I'll be cruising the tables at the Chicago Pen Show in the company of dannzeman himself. Perhaps some of his Parker Enthusiasm will rub off.

=) Eric
Son of Ragnar

dannzeman
March 31st, 2010, 11:42 AM
The sad reality is that I have yet to find a Parker that I absolutely love. However, there is hope! I'll be cruising the tables at the Chicago Pen Show in the company of dannzeman himself. Perhaps some of his Parker Enthusiasm will rub off.

=) Eric

Son of Ragnar
If it hasn't rubbed off yet I don't think it will. Maybe it's one of those things where it has to be in person to happen.

Sent from my htc HERO using Tapatalk

eriquito
March 31st, 2010, 12:31 PM
Or perhaps my Danitrio Enthusiasm will rub off on you =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

dannzeman
March 31st, 2010, 02:09 PM
Or perhaps my Danitrio Enthusiasm will rub off on you =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

I highly doubt it. I don't have the bank account for that!

Sent from my DAMAGEDHERO200 using Tapatalk

Kelly G
March 31st, 2010, 02:55 PM
I highly doubt it. I don't have the bank account for that!

All you have to do is save your spare change - or try Kevin's Lay-A-Way plan - worked for me.

dannzeman
March 31st, 2010, 04:23 PM
All you have to do is save your spare change - or try Kevin's Lay-A-Way plan - worked for me.
Oh man, if I start putting pens on lay-a-way then I'm done for. I didn't even put my wife's engagement ring on lay-a-way.

eriquito
April 1st, 2010, 08:15 AM
I didn't even put my wife's engagement ring on lay-a-way.

Are you saying that your wife's engagement ring is more important that fountain pens?

...and I thought you were a fountain pen geek. :p

Eric
Son of Ragnar

PS Don't you dare tell Kisha about this post! =)

Ernst Bitterman
April 1st, 2010, 02:56 PM
That sounds more like a lay-awake plan to me.

Returning to the matter at hand; I'm in the Vacumatic camp. Visually striking, visible ink level, there's very little to not like about them if you're not driven to tap out the point and feed. Putting those back is a nightmare. Duofolds (of any non-modern sort) and "51"s share second place.

ldb2000
April 2nd, 2010, 01:37 AM
Ok , don't beat me up for choosing a modern pen but my Falcon Flighter is my all time favorite Fountain pen . I'm not sure if I'm just lucky or what but I own two Falcons , a Black one and a Flighter and they both write wonderfully but the flighter is a little smoother and overall the smoothest fountain pen I have ever written with . I've always loved the 51's but they have taken the back seat to my Falcon .

dannzeman
April 2nd, 2010, 08:06 AM
Ok , don't beat me up for choosing a modern pen but my Falcon Flighter is my all time favorite Fountain pen . I'm not sure if I'm just lucky or what but I own two Falcons , a Black one and a Flighter and they both write wonderfully but the flighter is a little smoother and overall the smoothest fountain pen I have ever written with . I've always loved the 51's but they have taken the back seat to my Falcon .

Don't worry, we're not going to beat you up for choosing a modern pen. If modern is your thing then there's nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my DAMAGEDHERO200 using Tapatalk

Robert46
April 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
Rediscovered fountain pens again and have a few now, but the Parker 45 flighter is my favorite now, I've had it a few weeks and love using it at my job. It has an extra-fine point.

James
April 3rd, 2010, 03:20 PM
Maybe it's just because I've never actually used a 51 (though not for lack of want), but my favorite Parker is the 45. I love the slim shape, the simple design and the ease with which I can flush it out. Can you unscrew the nib of a 51 to flush out the sac (really, can you)? Oh, and of course, I love the reliability and smooth writing experience delivered by the 45. So sexy.

dannzeman
April 3rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
First off, welcome to FPGeeks James!

...Can you unscrew the nib of a 51 to flush out the sac (really, can you)?...
You can unscrew the hood (on most pens that don't have it shellacked on) and remove the nib and collector to flush out the inside of the barrel, but there's really no point. Also, there's not a sac in the 51, at least not in the conventional sense. The 'sac' is used as a diaphragm to creat a vacuum instead of actually holding ink.

Short answer: No, you can't unscrew the nib of a 51 to flush out the sac.

Kelly G
April 4th, 2010, 02:19 PM
True there is not a conventional sac in the vacumatic filling "51's" But there is a sac, a plyglass sac, in the Aerometric converter. And you don't want to remove the hood from the "51" unless there is a specific need to do so. The hood should be sealed on with shellac to keep it air tight and to keep the hood in alignment with the nib.

The 45 is definitely easier to clean. I tend to rarely change the ink color in my "51's" and that makes life simpler.

Rabbit
April 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM
If I had been answering this about 4 years ago, I would have said the Parker Sonnet. I was just getting in to fountain pens and didn't really know much about vintage pens. I had access to a retail store that sold modern fountain pens and I fell in love with the Parker Sonnet. I couldn't afford one at the time and ended up buying one on eBay for real cheap. Very soon after that I found some articles that described fake Parker Sonnets, and sure enough, the one I bought was fake. :( I then decided to save up some money so I could buy a real one.

About a year later I began to learn more about vintage pens and I bought a Parker Vacumatic and an aerometric Parker 51. These easily took over as my favorite Parker pens, with perhaps the Vacumatic being slightly above the 51. I love the shape of the 51 and the reliability. The aerometric filling system is very easy to use. I think the Vacumatic is beautiful-- my first was green Major, and I found it fascinating that you could hold it up to a light and see through parts of it. The uncovered nib has a classic look, and the filling system is unique. The only things I don't like about the 51 and Vacumatic are that they require a bit more skill for restoration, but I'm just now getting to the stage where I want to start restoring them, so I look forward to that and it will enable me to get these pens more often regardless of condition.

--Stephen

Kelly G
April 12th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Ahhh Rabbit, restoring the Vacumatics is a lot of fun, sometimes in a frustrating way, but fun nonetheless. The big trick is to start with the proper tools.
A vac wrench of some sort makes life much easier and less likely to destroy pens in the process.
A good bore light helps you see what is going on in the barrel.
Some decent scraping tools helps in removing the recalcitrant old diaphragm remnants.

Once you do a few, they aren't intimidating to a high degree. That doesn't mean you don't run into some real problem pens, but most of them restore gracefully.
What I love about Vacumatics is the celluloid restores so beautifully - you can really get a nice shine on an old pen.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.

SProctor
April 13th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Re: So, what's your Parker Preference?

Personally I'm leaning towards a Parker 75, with a Parker 65 being a close second, I guess. Which is kind of weird since I usually prefer a bigger pen, like the Duofold. Maybe I just don't have the right Duofold yet...

TWRDO
April 13th, 2010, 02:54 PM
My personal favorite (and my used-daily pen) is an Aerometric "51."

Vacs have really grown on me lately though, and I've taken to repairing/restoring them. I'd go a step further with vac wrenches and say they're necessary, not just something that makes life easier, otherwise you will at some point destroy the threads on a vac pump assembly.

penspouse
April 13th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Parker "51" Demis, both aero and vac.

PMS
April 13th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I should say PArker "51" but I really enjoy writing with my Parker 21 Special that I refurbished from two pens. It has one of the smoothest nibs in any of the pens I own.
PMS

Bucolic Buffalo
April 14th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Vacumatic's and Duofold's. I have not owned a 51 yet.

dannzeman
April 14th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Vacumatic's and Duofold's. I have not owned a 51 yet.
I think your Parker preference may change once you own a 51. Come back and let us know if you do get one.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

eriquito
April 14th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Ok Parker People, I want to join your club!
At the Chicago Pen Show, I'll officially be looking for a Parker.

Can you help?

I'd like the following:

- No hooded nib (I like to see the nib)
- Vintage (preferably, pre-1950)
- Large pen (MB149 size... if that's even exists)

If someone could throw a few model names at me, I'll find examples on-line before I actually get to the show.

Danke in advance! =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

dannzeman
April 15th, 2010, 09:25 AM
149 size? That may be a little difficult. My first guess would be for a Duofold but I'd have to look in my book to find out which one exactly.
I'm sure one of our members should ber able to help, kelly? rroossinck?

Bucolic Buffalo
April 15th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I think your Parker preference may change once you own a 51. Come back and let us know if you do get one.

I keep looking at 51's made around the time of WWII. Just have not pulled the trigger yet. I like the older War time and pre war Parkers.

eriquito
April 16th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I'd have to look in my book to find out which one exactly.

Oh that's right, you have The Book!
Surely that has the information I seek =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Kelly G
April 19th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Eric - Grab hold of a vintage Duofold Sr. the Big Red or if you have a lot of money in your pocket - a Mandarin Sr. Like any vintage pen, the price will depend on (as Dr. Isaacson would say) cachet and condition.

Or you could snap off a Vacumatic Maxima - but again, get out the big bills. I think you will find that the larger vintage pens (in decent condition) command high prices.

Another vintage Parker I like is the striped Duofold's from the late '30's and '40's. The later are vacumatic fillers, the earlier models are button fillers. The Sr. model isn't quite the girth of the MB149, but they are superior pens.

donwinn
April 20th, 2010, 06:03 AM
One of my daily carry pens is a 1946 Vacumatic, with EF nib. I also really like a couple of the 51s I have collected. I would like to try a Duofold, old style, like a Big Red or similar, but have not yet, so I cannot speak of how I would like one. I am concerned that I would love them, and have an overwhelming desire to own several.

Donnie

Ernst Bitterman
April 20th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Eric-- assuming I've not missed the show, you might look at the Challengers. In their full-size version, they're surprisingly large for a "budget" pen.

Lyntoni
April 21st, 2010, 06:57 PM
I am really partial to Parker Duofolds...but right now I am totally in love with my nice little stainless Parker 180...writes like a dream in both fine and medium!

lovemy51
May 5th, 2010, 08:47 PM
hmmm, let see... the "51"!!!!! :D

edited: vac or aero!

donwinn
May 6th, 2010, 06:19 AM
One of my daily carry pens is a 1946 Black Vacumatic, with EF nib. I also carry a 1930s (date code worn off) Duofold Junior, which is nearly as nice. Those are my two favorite Parkers, followed by a 1951 Aerometric 51 in Gray (don't remember which is Navy and which is Dove, but Vac is one shad, and Aero is the other - this one is the aero). I would love to try/have a Duofold Senior, in either black, or a big red, but folks are quite proud of those, and price them accordingly.

Donnie

LAVA
May 7th, 2010, 11:35 PM
My favorite Parker is my black 51 aerometric demi.....It was my very first parker fountain pen.....I purchased it from Mike McConnell from www.wetinc.com It was friggin love at first write I tell you.....I ordered 3 more pens from Mike, A demi in blue with a lustralloy and gold clip cap, a demi green with a gold cap (sold it) and a flighter...all fine/medium nibs. I thought the flighter would be epic as it was my grail pen at that time...but I kept going back to my black demi.

I remember being at my inlaws house once, I left the black demi in the sun visor of my Landcruiser (a first and last for me) because I was rocking a T-shirt that day. Later that evening I couldn't for the life of me remember where I'd put it and went crazy looking for it......I went as far as accusing my wife's alzheimer stricken grandfather for lifting my pen. A low point in our relationship.......but thats how wonderful my Demi writes.

I've bought and sold a wack of pens, but my 3 P51's make up the foundation of my collection. I've got a Lamy 27 on order and I'm trying to get my hands on a vintage Aurora 88....who knows maybe my little demi will be replaced. My current grail pen is a Parker VS.

onedumbtrucker
May 19th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I am a big fan of anything in celluloid, the more distinctive the pattern the better so for looks I would have to say the Royal Challengers or Striped Duofolds. In terms of preference to use it would definitely be an aerometric followed by a vacumatic. So I guess what I am trying to say is that the striped Duofolds win for me just barely over the 51 with any other beautiful celluloid parkers coming third.

Aside from the Striped Duofolds, Vacumatics and Royal Challengers does anyone know of any other very distinctively patterned Parkers that I should maybe add to the scope of my collecting? I also have a Junior Lucky Curve in Green Moire which is neat but not nearly as distinctive as the pens I really enjoy collecting though I do love the the style of the button filler Duofolds.

Dan

ps. I love the look of the modern mosaic Duofolds and hope to get one one of these days. Anyone know what type of filling system they use?

christof
June 11th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I love my Parker T-1, and believe it or not, I use this pen for writing!

thepianolist
February 27th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Difficult choice - "51" Flighter set or "75" first year! Choice just became more difficult with addition of 1929 Duofold Sr. Streamline!

Bryant

WriteAway
August 3rd, 2011, 05:45 PM
I don't have many Parker FPs, but the one I use most often has to be an older 21 Fine that is still working with no cracks or other maladies (yet).

Two 45 FP/MP sets (Green and Teal M nibs) get used occasionally, as do two Vectors (both M nibs) and a Jotter Fine.

I have many more Parker BPs to choose from when needed.

gordyt
January 15th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I really like the P51 Aerometric. Very reliable with pretty much every ink I've tried in them.

jor412
January 17th, 2012, 05:06 AM
I really like the nib of my Parker 61 but the capillary filler is bothersome. I'm leaning toward the 75 that also has a smooth nib and is easy to clean. In terms of looks, my favorite is the Vac.

John the Monkey
January 23rd, 2012, 07:32 AM
I really like the "English" duofolds, personally - I've a Slimfold that's a lovely writer, but a little too small for me, and a standard with a busted nib (an eBay gamble that didn't pay off). Lovely pens, with bombproof aerometric fillers. My grail would be a striped Vac, such beautiful pens.

peterpen53
February 19th, 2012, 11:01 AM
It would be a toss-up between two unequal pens (in my opinion):
- a 51, plain black with steel (chrome?) cap, scratched and battered, but a wonderful writer. And it was my father's pen.
- a modern, orange Duofold Centennial (the older-style, straight flat-top Duofold), also a very good writer. A much larger pen and fitting my hand better.

If I ever come to a decision, I'll let you know. Watch this space!

Cheers,
Peter

KrazyIvan
February 19th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I have a 30's Duofold Jr., a 21 and a Vector. Yeah, I like the Duofold the best.

I also have a Slimfold.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5245/5688271864_bb81bfeb0b_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/5688271864/)
Button fill (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/5688271864/) by IvanRomero (http://www.flickr.com/people/ivan_romero/), on Flickr

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6089/6026140890_8bd042433a_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/6026140890/)
Parker Slimfold (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/6026140890/) by IvanRomero (http://www.flickr.com/people/ivan_romero/), on Flickr

flodoc
February 22nd, 2012, 11:50 AM
I prefer the modern Duofold Centennial with fine or medium nib. I have three: A first year blue marble (1988), an orange with "wagon wheel" cap decal and a second gen jade green.

Rich L
February 27th, 2012, 11:03 PM
I prefer the modern Duofold Centennial with fine or medium nib. I have three: A first year blue marble (1988), an orange with "wagon wheel" cap decal and a second gen jade green.

Where's the thumbs up emoticon?? Well, thumbs up on the modern Duofold. One of my favorites! Picture coming if I can find my album...

Cheers,
Rich

Rich L
February 27th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Here we go ...

Tracy Lee
February 28th, 2012, 04:19 PM
That is just lovely!! I have a few Parker's, none quite this eye catching.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Bogon07
April 9th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Wow, Rich L those iridescent blue and purple colours go wonderfully with the gold on that Parker.

Here my only Parker courtesy of my wife's father.

Actually I have another two Parkers one is a grey plastic mechanical pencil and the other is a green and gold retractable ballpoint.

@penfancy
April 10th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Bogon, that is stunning! :thumbup:

I'm waiting, paitiently, for my first Duofold from Greg Minuskin.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d03628c5-0fa6-6d02.jpg

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

KrazyIvan
April 10th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Bogon, that is stunning! :thumbup:

I'm waiting, paitiently, for my first Duofold from Greg Minuskin.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d03628c5-0fa6-6d02.jpg

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Very nice pen. When I saw it, it was already sold. I think I may have to email Greg to see if he has something off to the side. :)

Bogon07
April 10th, 2012, 04:09 PM
@penfancy,
That Duofold from Greg Minuskin is a very attractive looking pen. I'm impressed with the black/green marble look...very classy.
Wasn't Greg Minuskin on some FPK podcasts too?

KrazyIvan
April 10th, 2012, 04:13 PM
@penfancy,
That Duofold from Greg Minuskin is a very attractive looking pen. I'm impressed with the black/green marble look...very classy.
Wasn't Greg Minuskin on some FPK podcasts too?

Yes, they did mention it is possible to talk to him and see if maybe he has something you might want. I have to scratch that idea now. :(

Parker Quink Turquoise
April 12th, 2012, 11:41 AM
My favourite Parker is a Sonnet,of which I have four.

gwgtaylor
April 12th, 2012, 01:01 PM

I don't know if I'll be the first to say this but I'm gonna have to go with the Parker 100 as my all time favourite with the Sonnet coming in a close second.

I've got a 1942 first quarter 51 and as much as I like it I find the 100 really takes things to the next level. The design is much more improved and has a feeling of rugged luxury. Tolerances are tight and the pen is amazingly dependable. (not to mention dead sexy)

It's a real pity it got discontinued. I'd like to see more finishes and colours for this pen.

Freddy
April 14th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I only have a few Parkers but my favorite is definitely the Vacumatic I purchased from Tyler Dahl. It writes beautifully and I love the look of it.

drgoretex
August 15th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I'm really sunk when it comes to the Parkers - my two faves, which I keep 'accidently' buying are the vintage Vacumatics, and the modern Duofold Centennials. Nice pens indeed...

Ken

Chi Town
August 16th, 2012, 08:10 PM
My first Parker Fountain Pen was a Custom built 51 pen by Ralph Prather about 2 1/2 years ago. prior to that I never even owned a Parker in my stable of pens. NOW? I just love Vacumatic's and am really starting to fall for DuoFold's. Both of them, I love the challenge of the repair and then there is the any time I need to write with either one they just write on demand!

fountainpenkid
August 19th, 2012, 04:11 PM
The Parker Vacumatic is my favorite Parker so far... the 51 is great, but when compared to the Vintage Aurora 88 it loses all its magic; the Duofold is great, I just haven't tried a nice one yet...

If not for the Cartridge Converter, the Parker 75 would be my favorite Parker... The grip is great, the weight is great, and it is smaller (another great!)

MCameron
November 5th, 2012, 12:34 PM
+1 on the Parker 45. Some of the nicer models are really good looking pens, and even the cheap ones are reliable and good writers. Also have a soft spot for the 61's. Great looking and very good writers. Next are the 65's. Hard to find but GREAT pens. I have a couple of 51s (and several more have passed through my hands) and, while appreciating them for what they are, have not been able to get terribly excited about them.

Dee8go
November 5th, 2012, 01:39 PM
My white and black, marbled Duofold is one of my favorite pens. It's the only Parker I have, but it's at the top of the list of my all time favorite fountain pens.

pajaro
November 26th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I like the 51 aerometric. I have a couple of dozen 51s, only a few Vacumatic 51s. I like the midnight blue 51s best. I have a plum pen and pencil set, which is a nice writer, but the color is so dark that it's disappointing. I have 2 51s with me tonight, the one I bought new in 1970 and a recent ebay buy that seems to have an oblique nib. It's difficult to write with it.

I have a near mint 45 with medium gold point, but I don't use it much. A couple of Super 21 sets left.

When you have a superb pen like a Parker 51, why use anything else?

pajaro
April 24th, 2013, 02:43 PM
After reading comments panning the Sonnet, I didn't mess with them until I saw one recently on ebay and bid on it. It is a nice recent burgundy pen with steel nib. It was well worth $38. Then I saw a red-black swirl one with 18K nib for $50 BIN and tried that one. It has a medium italic nib, and this is the pen I have been looking for. Writes nice cursive italic. I think the Sonnet is as good as the 51, and it's time to get rid of the vintage stuff. Just not the 51s.

BikerBabe
April 24th, 2013, 04:07 PM
My faves are my father's old '51 for home use, and my Urban for job use.

franzdimson
April 30th, 2013, 10:57 PM
It has a medium italic nib, and this is the pen I have been looking for. Writes nice cursive italic.

+1 on the Sonnets with Medium Italic Nib. Actually any Sonnet nib is great!

Laura N
May 1st, 2013, 07:34 AM
My favorite is the 51.

Tied for second would be the Duofold and the 75.

writingrav
May 1st, 2013, 07:54 AM
I only have Parker 45's so far. Three of them and I find them to be wonderful pens. I'm told they are not popular with collectors and Ii'm not sure why that is, but that helps make them easily affordable so its ok by me.

Pensfan
May 1st, 2013, 08:22 AM
I love the P51's and have a couple of them. I also have a Duofold Striped that I am very fond of, though I think it is starting to leak so it needs to be checked out.

After reading all the replies here, I might have to pick up a 45 to see what the hype is about.

:)

kaisnowbird
May 1st, 2013, 09:47 AM
After reading comments panning the Sonnet, I didn't mess with them until I saw one recently on ebay and bid on it. It is a nice recent burgundy pen with steel nib. It was well worth $38. Then I saw a red-black swirl one with 18K nib for $50 BIN and tried that one. It has a medium italic nib, and this is the pen I have been looking for. Writes nice cursive italic. I think the Sonnet is as good as the 51, and it's time to get rid of the vintage stuff. Just not the 51s.

New Sonnet, 18K Italic nib, for $50? That's a miracle!! Congratulations! I have a Sonnet in M, which had baby's bottom and a bit too wet for my taste. For some reason, I never considered selling it and always had a soft spot for it. Recently, I had it worked on by Mr Pendleton Brown into a Butterline Stub. Now it's beautiful, and the extra wet flow works so much better with a stub.

I love my Green Vacumatic to pieces and hope my first 51 (on its way) will not disappoint. I held off getting a 51 because I only wanted the Nassau Green with the gold filled cap that has the chevron band, for a long time nothing else would do. But my patience has finally run out and I've ordered a Midnight Blue, lustraloy cap with a gold filled clip.

Still looking for that Nassau Green though...

nxn96
May 1st, 2013, 09:52 AM
Overall, and particularly in fountain pens, I'd have to go with the 51 Aerometric. Among Parker's current production, I've always had good luck with Sonnets.
In the ballpoint range, I like the older 45 cap-actuated Flighters.

caribbean_skye
May 1st, 2013, 11:40 AM
Apart from the Vector, I have a modern International Duofold, 21 and most recently a vacumatic. The Duofold is just about the perfect size for me to write with, in terms of length and barrel diameter. However the vacumatic is a dream to write with, so it's a hard toss up between them. I can see why Dan really likes the Vacumatics, I may have to keep an eye out for 2 more pearl vacumatics, as long as they won't break the bank.

View from the Loft
May 4th, 2013, 06:30 AM
My favourite Parker? I don't know. I have two P25s, Sonnet, P75, P45, and modern Duofold International, all with medium italic nibs. All great writers. The Sonnet doesn't get much use nowadays because I'm afraid of the cap becoming loose, which I'm told is not repairable.

I also have a Slimfold with a broad stub, and a P51 with a broad oblique. Again, both great writers.

My choice of pen depends on what I am doing for the day. All are great pens, and I really wish that Parker could still make pens like these with a range of nibs. While I am happy to have nibs on modern pens custom ground for me, I won't do that for vintage pens.

My grail Parker? A Vacumatic with a stub nib.

ndw76
May 4th, 2013, 07:48 AM
My favourite vintage Parker is my UK Duofold Junior, away being re-sacked at the moment. My favourite new Parker is my Sonnet Fu Special edition.

rick propas
May 7th, 2013, 08:37 PM
My favorite model would have to be the Vacumatic Oversize , 1933-36. And my favorite example is the so-called Overmax a hybrid transitional pen, in red, from 1937, shown here uncapped alongside a semi-matching clicker pencil
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/rickp/OMax4.jpg

Laura N
May 7th, 2013, 09:14 PM
My favorite model would have to be the Vacumatic Oversize , 1933-36. And my favorite example is the so-called Overmax a hybrid transitional pen, in red, from 1937, shown here uncapped alongside a semi-matching clicker pencil

Now people will begin to see why it is agony being your friend. So many temptations.

JMT
May 7th, 2013, 11:32 PM

My two favs. They come to work with me every day.

nxn96
May 8th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Out of curiosity, is there a story behind the clicker pencil? I always associate this mechanical design with the 51 Aerometrics, and not the Vacumatics. Beautiful pen/pencil combination, by the way.

rick propas
May 8th, 2013, 11:48 AM
No story that I know, just that they seem to have begun to offer this less popular (thus uncommon) variant beginning in the mid-1930's

rick propas
May 8th, 2013, 11:49 AM
No temptation, cause it ain't for sale

Now people will begin to see why it is agony being your friend. So many temptations.

fountainpenkid
May 9th, 2013, 03:02 PM

My two favs. They come to work with me every day.

The new LE duofold looks great!

ChrisC
June 14th, 2013, 12:38 AM
The Slimfold used to be, imho, the best value for the money. $35 could get you a decent condition, beautifully buttery smooth, wet daily writer. The simple filling system and even the light weight were all pluses for me. They, like the Estie SJ, LJ, etc, seem to have gone from $30-$40 to $45-$50. I guess more people caught on?

fountainpenkid
June 15th, 2013, 07:22 AM
The Slimfold used to be, imho, the best value for the money. $35 could get you a decent condition, beautifully buttery smooth, wet daily writer. The simple filling system and even the light weight were all pluses for me. They, like the Estie SJ, LJ, etc, seem to have gone from $30-$40 to $45-$50. I guess more people caught on?

Or the price of gold is making people want to pay more. I've always been slightly attracted to the Lucite British Duofolds myself, but other pen purchases have gotten in the way of me buying one.

cedargirl
June 15th, 2013, 05:33 PM
I dooo like old Parkers - not sure why - maybe because my first fountain pen was a Vector.

... I have a few Parker 45s - I just love their styling - and nice writers, too.
... The Uk Duofold/Juniors (Slimfold cigar style models) are very nice - soft springy gold nibs.
... I've recently acquired a few 51s - I just love their iconic styling, and the couple of broad nibbed ones are great.
... and the striped Vacumatics are so lovely.

reprieve
June 15th, 2013, 05:59 PM
My favorite is probably the vintage Duovac. They are so pretty! I am a big fan of the double jeweled Vacumatics and Parker 51s, too, and I also like the 1920s flat-top Duofolds quite a bit. A few months ago, I acquired a Parker 75 sterling cisele which I really like; it's my most modern Parker.

Paul-H
June 15th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Hi

I suppose I have 3 got to Parkers that always seem to write, no mater how long they have been capped and also are the smoothest silkiest writers of all my pens, and they are

Parker 45 Flighter
Parker 51 Obviously
and the best pen I own a Parker Duofold AF which is the smoothest of the smoothest.

Also just got a 61 and that up there with the 51 but to new to me to pass judgement yet.

Paul

ndw76
June 16th, 2013, 12:05 AM
I just got my U.K. Parker Duofold Junior back from Aaron and Kim at penthouses. I'm so happy to have this great pen back in the writings rotation.

david i
June 16th, 2013, 08:54 AM
My favorite is probably the vintage Duovac. They are so pretty! I am a big fan of the double jeweled Vacumatics and Parker 51s, too, and I also like the 1920s flat-top Duofolds quite a bit. A few months ago, I acquired a Parker 75 sterling cisele which I really like; it's my most modern Parker.

Hi,

Just for historical accuracy, I must point out that Parker never made a Duovac.

Regards

David

reprieve
June 16th, 2013, 03:22 PM

Hi,

Regards

David

I meant the striped Duofolds. I picked up "Duovac" from the Parker Pens (http://parkerpens.net/duovac.html) page, and the listings on Peyton Street Pens (http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/parker/duovac.html), but thanks for letting me know that is not a historically accurate name.

david i
June 16th, 2013, 04:27 PM

Hi,

Regards

David

I meant the striped Duofolds. I picked up "Duovac" from the Parker Pens (http://parkerpens.net/duovac.html) page, and the listings on Peyton Street Pens (http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/parker/duovac.html), but thanks for letting me know that is not a historically accurate name.

All good. One day I'm going to have to give Tony appropriate grief for putting that on his website ;)

Do understand I'm a bit protective of correct jargon for the series, as i have collected a few of 'em and write about them often. Here are most of 'em from my Striped Duofold tray.

http://www.vacumania.com/penteech2/parkerduofoldstripedrawer.jpg

regards

david

whych
June 17th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Do understand I'm a bit protective of correct jargon for the series, as i have collected a few of 'em and write about them often. Here are most of 'em from my Striped Duofold tray.
OK then, how many do you write WITH? ;)
... Or are they purely for the collection?

david i
June 17th, 2013, 07:10 AM
OK then, how many do you write WITH? ;)
... Or are they purely for the collection?

"Purely" is such a strong modifier. ;)

Most of my pens have at one time or another been restored, though these days I am in no rush for pens that are aimed at my personal collection. I guess I have...hmmm... 2800 working old pens lying around. Of course many of those are for the Vacumania website. I'm sure I've used at least 5 or 6 the last year. Three have been my regulars at the hospital for at least 8-9 months. Might take a fair bit of time to finish the rotation at this pace...

regards

david

oldstoat
July 15th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Hmm.3 51s, a couple of 45s, a couple of vintage Duofolds, a 75, a 17 ( rummages a bit)a Sonnet, a 65 and my favourite is an old ( bought new in 1989) Frontier Flighter with a soft gold nob that really has adapted to mt hand, and just writes. Tough as old boots ( as the dings signify but it works.

Nomdeplume
July 15th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Sonnets....simple, straightforward design. Can be luxe in silver or ho-hum enamel or other materials...

pajaro
July 22nd, 2013, 10:54 AM
I have come to enjoy the Sonnets. I got a little tired of the older Parkers, and I overcame my reluctance to try the Sonnet caused by all the negative posts about fakes, hard starting, etc. I researched the issues of ink fkow and found that the way the caps were made on pre-2008 pens caused the rivet holding the clip on to break the inner cap due to poor installation practice, causing excessive ventilation in some Sonnets and consequent drying out of the nib and feed. I examined my own 15 or so Sonnet fountain pens and found that a minority of two or three would dry out overnight, but the rest would write immediately. FPN posts indicated that Parker would not fix the caps.

I like the Sonnets because italic nibs are available, and their colors have a larger range than many older pens. The latest series in red are my favorite. I do think the nibs are a bit flimsy compared to other pens, and prone to bend and crease. A light touch when writing is probably needed.

whych
July 22nd, 2013, 04:20 PM
The Sonnet nibs are between a nail and an old style flexible nib. If you press too hard they will bend. The lower end Parkers are all nail nibs and will take a lot more abuse.
I haven't found they dry out too much, but then I do tend to leave it nib down for a while when I haven't used it for a few days.
With the interchangeable nibs that are easy to find, they make good pens that are very easy to clean when you want to swap ink colours.
I haven't found much difference in the performance between the gold or steel nibs.

pajaro
July 22nd, 2013, 09:03 PM
The nibs are not cheap. I replaced the mediums in some pens with medium italic or fine nibs. I am going to downsize this lot and only keep the fine and italic nibs. There is an informative thread on FPN if you look for "sonnet drying out."
Some of those owners were bitter against the pen, going beyond a complaint into a joke.

ThriveToScribe
July 22nd, 2013, 09:51 PM
If not for the Cartridge Converter, the Parker 75 would be my favorite Parker... The grip is great, the weight is great, and it is smaller (another great!)

~~~I have a the Sterling Silver Parker 75 (USA) and the converter is inconvenient because you can't see the level of ink. But I have used a see-through twist converter in mine, and it worked all right. (Just not as snug as the metal converter). I also have a Parker 75 in a beautiful multi-brown lacquer (Paris) and you're right, both are nice to hold and write with. The slim feel with a nice weight makes writing a delightful experience.

Kelly G
August 4th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Rick - that is a really nice looking set.

My newest potential favorite Parker (sorry no pics - I'm a couple hours away from the pen cave) came in a good day at the antique shop a couple of weeks ago. I had stopped by one of my favorite shops that I hadn't visited for a good while and asked the proprietor if she had any fountain pens - she said she had just picked up a few at an estate sale but they were in a box somewhere and I would need to check back in a few days. I left her my card and asked her to call if she found the pens - which she did. When I made it back to the shop the pens were still there and much to my surprise there were four pens and a pencil that seemed in good shape - two Sheaffers - both small -a green striped balance and a flat top - and two Parkers, a Duofold Jr. in the almost always discolored cracked ice and a black Vacumatic. I had no loupe and couldn't read the date but it was a lock down filler - double jeweled with three cap bands with the middle band wider than the outer two - is this the illusive Senior? All the pens are in very good, restorable condition. The vacumatic, much to my surprise has a functional diaphragm even though the pen shows little evidence of use over the last 75 years. I will change the diaphragm to be on the safe side and can't wait to get this pen in use.

onetake
June 28th, 2015, 01:21 AM
I have a soft spot for the 45's. I used them in school for several years, and I remember that they were pretty easy to clean.
I recently bought a 180 that I'm getting used to. It's a neat design. But I miss my old blue 45. Nothing fancy -- fine octanium nib, metal cap with the chrome arrow clip, but it was the first fountain pen I bought.

Dronak
June 29th, 2015, 11:28 AM
I only have two Parker fountain pens right now: a low-end Sonnet and an IM. Both work well enough for my purposes, but I think I prefer the Sonnet.

pajaro
July 6th, 2015, 10:19 AM
I like the Sonnet a great deal, but I have more than two dozen of them from early ones to late ones, and most dry out fairly quickly on me in pauses in writing and from day to day. You have many nib choices, though, with the Sonnet. Surprisingly the Frontier is better at staying moist and writing. And there is the 51, which always seems to be ready to write.

So, 51 and Frontier.