PDA

View Full Version : The latest poll question is so pertinent for me at the moment

JustDaveyB
March 27th, 2012, 01:12 AM
I laughed out loud when I saw this weeks poll question "As the first quarter of 2012 draws to a close, what's the status of your fountain pen and paraphernalia budget?"

I am currently banned from any purchases of FP, nibs or inks till June. See why: http://www.justdaveyb.com/2012/03/well-my-expenditure-on-fountain-pens.html

But still have a small budget for Stationery - some G.Lalo maybe (I hear it is good)

JustDaveyB

fountainpenkid
March 27th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I have, so far this year, spent a grand total of $90 so far (including inks and repairs.)I intend to get two more pens this year (and more ink as I'm running out)--one being the TWSBI mini, the other being a early double jewel vacumatic. Unlike most fountain pen collectors/users, I have no control of what pens I get :( (maybe that's a good thing ?)

Will

JustDaveyB
March 27th, 2012, 04:43 AM
I have had little control over the last few pens I have been buying as I am chasing Pelikan M620s which are all on the 2nd hand market. The Madrid I accidentally bought was the only one I saw on ebay in the last 9 months.

KrazyIvan
March 27th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I budget $50 a month for pen/stationery related purchases but I have not used it all up. I am just putting it away for the FP Geeks Edison LE pen when it comes out. I hope.

fountainpenkid
March 27th, 2012, 01:24 PM
fpgeeks le? whats this i hear?

KrazyIvan
March 27th, 2012, 01:50 PM

Eric said something to that effect in the last podcast where Brian Gray was taking part and they talked about the FPN LE Edison Pearl. Nothing concrete mind you, I don't want to start rumors. I just hope this puts a little pressure to make it a reality. ;)

Rich L
March 27th, 2012, 02:23 PM
... I don't want to start rumors. ...

So what is it you just did?? ;)

Cheers,
Rich

KrazyIvan
March 27th, 2012, 03:17 PM
So what is it you just did?? ;)

Cheers,
Rich

Reverse psychology is what the kids call it, I think. ;)

dannzeman
March 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM

Let me just make things clear: there will be no FPGeeks LE.

Anytime soon.

Rich L
March 27th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Sounds like another rumor

pass it on.

fountainpenkid
March 27th, 2012, 04:26 PM
well, please, whenever brian and the geeks get this started, do make it NOT a c/c ?

dannzeman
March 27th, 2012, 07:57 PM
well, please, whenever brian and the geeks get this started, do make it NOT a c/c ?
That's why it won't be anytime soon.

JustDaveyB
March 27th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I budget $50 a month for pen/stationery related purchases but I have not used it all up. I am just putting it away for the FP Geeks Edison LE pen when it comes out. I hope.

My budget was running at 10x that. Give up collecting wine to increase my FP budget.

JustDaveyB
March 27th, 2012, 10:28 PM

I don't understand the dislike of C/Cs
I would rather stain with ink a c/c than the inside of the barrel of a FP

KrazyIvan
March 28th, 2012, 08:36 AM
My budget was running at 10x that. Give up collecting wine to increase my FP budget.

Some of us can do that. I can't. It is nice to know others can pump so much money into the hobby so us little guys can reap the benefits of a healthier hobby.

JustDaveyB
March 28th, 2012, 02:38 PM
The strength of the Oz dollar vs US dollar has helped me immensely in this regard. Interestedly enough I have actually source more pens out of Europe than I have from the US. The strangest stat I think is the 2 of my 4 Bexley's have been bought from the UK. Oh well during my ban I get to concentrate on enjoying my pens

fountainpenkid
March 28th, 2012, 05:40 PM
@daveyb--if they would just make super sized converters, than I wouldn't make such a fuss. Stipula does this with their eitura lines i think--there is a metal piston mechanism inside them so the barrel isn't wrecked.

Pinkys.Brain
March 31st, 2012, 05:53 AM
Now that I am in Japan I don't have money to enjoy my hobby...so sad ;-(

JustDaveyB
March 31st, 2012, 07:28 AM
Now that I am in Japan I don't have money to enjoy my hobby...so sad ;-(

That's sad - some very nice FP in Japan.

Pinkys.Brain
April 2nd, 2012, 09:04 PM
That's sad - some very nice FP in Japan.

It gets worse:

Twsbi-shop:

Price of a Twsbi 450 = $50
Shipping to Japan = $57 (UPS)

No other shipping method offered. That's ridiculous! :mad:

JustDaveyB
April 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
It gets worse:

Twsbi-shop:

Not good when the shipping cost is higher than the item price!!!

Pinkys.Brain
April 2nd, 2012, 10:07 PM
Guess I have to have to put in Germany as the order address and then have my parents send it to me to Japan...what a bummer. I guess I have to take a look at amazon.com and ebay

fountainpenkid
April 3rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
so twsbi has released a new model without telling us? ;)

klpeabody
April 3rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
It gets worse:

Twsbi-shop:

Ouch!

Pinkys.Brain
April 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM
so twsbi has released a new model without telling us? ;)

Ups, I meant the 540... :rolleyes: