PDA

View Full Version : Advice?

OldSchool
December 4th, 2013, 10:23 AM
I have been drooling over Montblancs for a long time but am uneasy about purchasing one used since I don't know how to distinguish 1) a fair price and 2) a reliable seller. I'd appreciate any advice you can offer! Thanks.

jar
December 4th, 2013, 10:29 AM
First learn all you can about the model of interest.

Second, if on eBay simply skip any seller with less than a 99% rating.

Third, if the pictures are not clear or look like studios shots, be wary.

Fourth, ask lots of questions.

Finally, if the deal looks too good it probably is.

mmahany
December 4th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Substitute the words "Used Montblanc" for "Used Mercedes" and there's your answer.

kaisnowbird
December 4th, 2013, 04:20 PM
I second tips given by Jar above.

If you have a particular model in mind, I'm sure someone can give you an idea on what may be a fair price for a really good condition used one.

OldSchool
December 4th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the sound advice, all.

OldSchool
December 4th, 2013, 05:52 PM
I've been researching the 146 and would really appreciate advice on what I should expect to pay for a used one in good condition. Thanks.

kaisnowbird
December 4th, 2013, 08:00 PM
I'd usually go to a trustworthy/respected dealer to see their prices. For example, Gary Lehrer's (GoPens.com) latest catalog had (already sold, sorry) a mint condition 146 with original packaging, circa 1991, for $300. See item No.154 (http://gopens.com/Vintage-pens-cat-69.php).

From my amateur perspective, this is a run-of-the-mill 146 from the early 90s. (On the other hand, item No.148 above it is a lot more special.) For mint condition, in original package, with the stickers still on, $300 is very reasonable. It may not be considered the bargain of the year, but it's a fair price for both the seller and the buyer.

Hopefully, one of the MB experts would chime in later and critique my view.

john
December 14th, 2013, 09:05 AM
I'd usually go to a trustworthy/respected dealer to see their prices. For example, Gary Lehrer's (GoPens.com) latest catalog had (already sold, sorry) a mint condition 146 with original packaging, circa 1991, for $300. See item No.154 (http://gopens.com/Vintage-pens-cat-69.php).

From my amateur perspective, this is a run-of-the-mill 146 from the early 90s. (On the other hand, item No.148 above it is a lot more special.) For mint condition, in original package, with the stickers still on, $300 is very reasonable. It may not be considered the bargain of the year, but it's a fair price for both the seller and the buyer.

Hopefully, one of the MB experts would chime in later and critique my view.I'm lucky enough to get a 146 which is around $260 including shipping.It comes with 18k 2 tone M nib. It's a great writer which I use it daily.

Jeph
December 14th, 2013, 09:27 AM
You could also ask Rick what he has available. He usually has several pens that are not on the website.
Plus, he has listed a 80's 146 14K M for $250 Rick Propas MB146 (http://www.thepenguinpen.com/montblanc/details/mb2969.jsp)

Uncle Bud
January 5th, 2014, 08:21 AM
eBay seller 'fineandprecious' is trustworthy, I've bought several MB's from him and all has went well, he is a German seller. Cheers

mmahany
January 6th, 2014, 08:30 AM
OldSchool and I ended up working out a deal on one of my 146 pens with the box and service guide. The last I heard, she was very satisfied with the pen.