PDA

View Full Version : Opinions On The Omas EF (Standard) nib.. Please!

Roefisher
December 4th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Hello,

I've been trying to get some information on the Omas Extra Fine nib (specifically the 18K gold one) but thoughts on any standard Omas EF nib will do.

The trouble is that I run into nothing but reviews and thoughts on the extra flex version of this size - never the standard one! So does anyone have opinions on the standard Omas EF nib for everyday handwriting? Also, how would you rate it in line size compared to, say, the EF Pelikan or TWSBI.

Thank you,

Mark

AltecGreen
December 5th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Modern or vintage?

Also pre-2000 or post 2000?

Roefisher
December 5th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Modern or vintage?

Also pre-2000 or post 2000?

The pen I am looking at is brand new, recently made, so thoughts on that nib is what I am after. I am torn between the standard extra-fine and fine.

Mark

AltecGreen
December 5th, 2013, 02:15 PM
A modern Omas nib is made by Bock. The transition from Omas in-house nibs to Bock nibs was around 2000. The Bock nibs are fatter than the Omas made nibs. In that sense, the current nibs are on par in size with Pelikan and TWSBI who all use German made nibs with the typical fat German sizes. (I'm not a fan of German nibs). The current Omas pens seem to come tuned very wet. It's going to be pretty close to the Pelikan and the TWSBI. It's really going to come down to how wet the nib has been tuned, the ink and the paper. That is to say, the differences between the Omas and your references are going to be small. It's not going to be a problem for everyday writing. You certainly won't mistake these nibs for a needlepoint.

pengeezer
January 1st, 2014, 09:03 PM
A modern Omas nib is made by Bock. The transition from Omas in-house nibs to Bock nibs was around 2000. The Bock nibs are fatter than the Omas made nibs. In that sense, the current nibs are on par in size with Pelikan and TWSBI who all use German made nibs with the typical fat German sizes. (I'm not a fan of German nibs). The current Omas pens seem to come tuned very wet. It's going to be pretty close to the Pelikan and the TWSBI. It's really going to come down to how wet the nib has been tuned, the ink and the paper. That is to say, the differences between the Omas and your references are going to be small. It's not going to be a problem for everyday writing. You certainly won't mistake these nibs for a needlepoint.

I have a Paragon in Saffron Blue with an EF nib and
it's certainly a wet writer. I suspect it has a Bock nib.

John

raging.dragon
January 2nd, 2014, 01:25 AM
I have several post 2000 (Bock made) OMAS EF nibs, and they all write pretty much identically: smooth, wet and soft. The tines spread quite a bit when one applies pressure; however, they don't snap back like a proper flex nib, and I feel it'd be easy to accidentally spring (permanently bend) the nib if one tried to use it as a flex nib (no nibs were harmed during my experiments, but I was very careful). The newest nib (2012) has a larger tip and writes about half a size wider than the older (2000 - 2011) nibs. I also have a 1990's OMAS EF, it's firmer than the Bock made nibs but still smooth and wet, with the same width as the 2000 - 2011 nibs.

The OMAS made nib feels much like a standard Bock nib, while the Bock made nib feels very different from the standard Bock nibs.

kaisnowbird
January 2nd, 2014, 04:49 AM
The OMAS made nib feels much like a standard Bock nib, while the Bock made nib feels very different from the standard Bock nibs.

:pound: Priceless!