PDA

View Full Version : MontBlanc Meisterstuck for my 40th

SanDogWeps
December 4th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Hey all - first post, but not first fountain pen. I've maneuvered around Cross, Parker, Scheaffer, and some wood-turned custom jobs for a long time now, but for my 40th birthday my wife got me a MontBlanc Meisterstuck fountain pen. I was planning to wait a few years to buy one upon my military retirement, but I'd say this worked out well. Loving it thus far, however I confess to having a preference for bottled ink over cartridges.

I know that MontBlanc does not do a converter for the Meisterstuck model, and that MontBlanc converters typically screw in, but I was wondering if there was an after-market converter, or a converter from another brand, that will work in the place of cartridges?

On a completely side note, has anyone ever tried mixing a bottle of Cross Black with a bottle of Cross Blue to get a combo of their Blue/Black? They only sell the blue/black in cartridges, and thus far, of all the inks I have used, it's my favorite.

Thanks in advance, and appreciate you all letting me join this little band.

kaisnowbird
December 4th, 2013, 08:45 PM
:welcome: Happy birthday and congratulations on getting such a nice gift!

I know that MontBlanc does not do a converter for the Meisterstuck model, and that MontBlanc converters typically screw in, but I was wondering if there was an after-market converter, or a converter from another brand, that will work in the place of cartridges?

Not sure which Meisterstuck model is your pen. Assuming it's not a miniature pen (the Mozart, no known converter) and it uses cartridges, I can only suppose that it's either a
1. Classique (144 or 145/Chopin), which usually comes with a converter; or
2. Traveller (147), cartridge only.

If it's a 147, I don't think there is a known converter. You can always fill your empty cartridges with bottled ink using a syringe, but it wouldn't be very travel friendly.

However, you may wish to try mixing the cross black with blue in an empty cartridge just to see the result. I don't suppose it will be exactly like their Blue Black, but you might still like it. Good luck.

cwent2
December 4th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Happy Birthday and :welcome: to the forum!

hamag
December 4th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Happy Birthday SanDogWeps and congratulations on your new MB.
Are you sure about mixing inks?
Even if they are of the same brand you can't tell the end result.
Be watchful about it.
I have no experience about mixing inks but everyone tell bad omens about it.
Come what may I wish you the best with your new pen, Montblancs may be irrationally expensive but they are good pens.
Cheer from Buenos Aires
Horacio

ndw76
December 4th, 2013, 10:39 PM
A nice birthday gift. I am 37 and I have already put in my order for my 40th birthday present with my wife.

SanDogWeps
December 6th, 2013, 12:24 PM
It's the Traveler, I believe. Suspect I will have to just stick with what they have available and be thankful for the gift instead of nitpicking.

As far as the Cross ink, I don't think it would be too much of a gamble to just buy two bottles from Cross (US$8.00 each) and dump them rather unceremoniously into an empty MontBlanc bottle. If things get too wonky, well, that's what a little bit of ammonia in distilled water is for, right?

Side note - I have been to Sydney (epic), lived in Coventry, RI (volunteered at the Fire Department while working in Newport), hit Phuket and Pattaya a few times (so serene) and had a spectacular vacation in BA/Colonia a few years back. Fun to see so many folks from so many places here.

orfew
December 6th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Congrats on a great pen. I love my 147 (traveller). In fact it is currently inked and is very rarely out of rotation.

mmahany
December 7th, 2013, 08:37 AM
No wife or kids, but I also received a Montblanc item (from myself) for my 25th this year :)

And if you did in fact receive the 147, it's a great pen. If I was forced to own just one Montblanc pen, the 147 would be it. It writes like a 147, fills like a 144, and is the only Meisterstuck model to come with a leather travel case. All around, it's a wonderful pen and I have yet to hear of someone who didn't enjoy theirs.

VertOlive
December 8th, 2013, 11:48 AM
I just got my teeny Mozart 114 and it's wonderful! I was bummed to learn about the absence of a converter, and wonder where to buy these cartridges ?

jar
December 8th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I just got my teeny Mozart 114 and it's wonderful! I was bummed to learn about the absence of a converter, and wonder where to buy these cartridges ?

Most any international standard cartridges should work.

Mags
December 9th, 2013, 04:56 AM

In theory the Kaweco mini converters may work but they are a pain to fill and my converter is now decorative as I syringe fill it so have found it is just as easy to top up the Mont Blanc and intl cartridges the very same way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)