PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite blue/black and bright colours?

Roefisher
December 8th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Hi folks,

I was looking at some inks today and see that I only have one blue/black. It's Caran d' Ache Magnetic Blue and I used it a little this afternoon. I'm interested in trying something else in this shade so, can I ask, which blue/black inks do you enjoy writing with?

Also, while I remember, for the fun... what is your favourite bright ink? I like Iroshizuku yama-budo and Visconti Turquoise.

Mark

Goldfish
December 8th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Currently my favorite "blue-black" is Sailor Seiboku. It leans toward green, but shades even with fine nibs, and behave well with cheapo papers at my work. It is pigment ink and waterproof.

My favorite bright colors are Diamine Tropical Blue. It was an LE but PR re-created it with the same name. Diamine also revived it as "Mediterranean Blue". In addition, I use eye-popping Levenger Pinkly sometimes :)

jacksterp
December 8th, 2013, 05:32 PM
I also really enjoy Diamine Mediterranean Blue. As to Blue-Blacks, Noodlers 54th and Mont Blanc Midnight Blue.

AndyT
December 8th, 2013, 05:49 PM
I always have, frequently use and still adore Waterman Blue Black (aka Mysterious Blue) after many years of use. Whether it's really a blue black, however, is open to question. More typical examples which I like a lot include R&K Salix, Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars' Ink (both iron gall), Noodler's Navy and Akkerman Koninginne NachBlauw.

For bright colours, PR Shoreline Gold gets more use than expected because of the outstanding shading and good flow. Akkerman Pulchri Pink doesn't come out very often, but oh boy, as pinks go it's shocking.

reprieve
December 8th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Blue-blacks/dark blues:
Pilot Blue-black
R&K Salix
R&K Verdigris
Diamine Midnight

Bright colors:
Diamine Ancient Copper
Iroshizuku Yu-yake
Iroshizuku Ama-iro
Noodler's Liberty's Elysium
Sailor Grenade
Herbin Lierre Sauvage

jde
December 8th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Blue-Blacks (all 3 very different):
Pilot Blue-Black
Sailor Blue-Black
Sailor Sei-Boku

Bright colors:
Sailor Apricot
Sailor Grenade
(Sailor/Kobe) Nagasawa Sannomiya Panse

snedwos
December 8th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Black: I only have Iroshizuku Take Sumi, but it is top notch.
Blue: I only really have Diamine Eau de Nil. I like it, but don't love it as much as I did.
BlueBlack: still experimenting with the level of dilution for 54Mass.

Bright: Ancient Copper and Kelly Green at the moment. Apache Sunset is of course wonderful too.

kaisnowbird
December 8th, 2013, 10:07 PM
I don't have a favourite blue-black, but my mother-in-law loves my Montblanc Midnight Blue.

It's iron gall, but not super full-on iron gall. So it has some water resistence and runs a little dry, but not prone to clogging. Her go to pen is a Parker 51 that flows a bit too much when the ink runs low :confused:. With the MBMB, it's always been problem free. She loves the colour too - very classic.

My favourite vibrant colour is Caran d'Ache Caribbean Sea.

snedwos
December 8th, 2013, 10:10 PM
I don't have a favourite blue-black, but my mother-in-law loves my Montblanc Midnight Blue.

It's iron gall, but not super full-on iron gall. So it has some water resistence and runs a little dry, but not prone to clogging. Her go to pen is a Parker 51 that flows a bit too much when the ink runs low :confused:. With the MBMB, it's always been problem free. She loves the colour too - very classic.

My favourite vibrant colour is Caran d'Ache Caribbean Sea.

You married into a good family.

The Good Captain
December 9th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black; Montblanc Midnight Blue (either); Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite. As for bright colours: I don't tend to use them but perhaps Diamine Asa Blue or Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-peki might be appropriate.

stevekolt
December 9th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Current favorites:

Dark Blue - Diamine Denim, followed by Iroshizuku tsuki-yo

Brighter Blue - Hands down, Iroshizuku kon-peki

Orange - Iroshizuku Yu-Yake, Noodlers Apache Sunset

Green - Montblanc Irish Green, Private Reserve Spearmint

Red - Iroshizuku Momiji, Diamine Red Dragon

Senecabud
December 10th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Blue-blacks: Noodler's 54th Massachussetts and R&K's Salix
Brights: Noodler's Apache Sunset and Lamy's Turquoise

Roefisher
December 10th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Thank you so much to everyone for the replies so far. Great stuff!

There are a couple which immediately jumped out at me after seeing some writing reviews. And I really must get into these Noodler's inks to see what all the fuss is about.

Mark

AndyT
December 10th, 2013, 12:03 PM
...I really must get into these Noodler's inks to see what all the fuss is about.

Oh yes, I think so. Availability here is variable to say the least and my experiences have been very mixed, but the Noodler's range is fascinating. Apache Sunset turned out not to be for me, but everyone should dip a nib in it at some stage if the opportunity arises.

Tony Rex
December 10th, 2013, 09:10 PM
There was a riot and the suspects were black and blue. But who is the main culprit?

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3810/11317839926_5b12fe3f40_c.jpg

Serene Officer: Number four, step forward! Him?
Bright Witness: Yes. I'm positive he's the one!

kaisnowbird
December 11th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Awesome lineup!

KrazyIvan
December 11th, 2013, 10:08 AM
I just bought a bottle of Diamine Blue Black and am liking it. Noodlers Blue for a bright blue is a favorite as is Iroshizuku Kon-Peki.

Frank
December 11th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I like a few of these BB inks myself
-Sailor BB
-MB Midnight
-Diamine Midnight

My opinion is "The Darker Blue, the better!"
I mix BB and Blue inks with Black to get the darker shade that I like. People will recall (I posted previously- "Antique Store Find") that I came across a one quart bottle of Carter's BB ink that looks never to have been used. I poured some into a PR mixing bottle, and I have managed to find something I like with a 1:1 mix of Parker Black (my "go to" black) and this old ink.
Well behaved, and I love it!

Frank

lisantica
December 11th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Black: Iroshizuku take-sumi.
Blue: Private Reserve Blue Suede

Bright: Iroshizuku murasaki-shikibu

Really want to buy and try Noodler's Apache Sunset.

View from the Loft
December 11th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Dark Blue - Diamine Midnight
Bright colour - Diamine Imoerial Purple or Penman Emerald
Slightly different but still acceptable for work - Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

AndyT
December 12th, 2013, 02:23 AM

I doubt you'll be disappointed: it's very attention-grabbing. I did experience some mild flow issues with it hence my preference for PR Shoreline Gold - might be worth trying a sample first.

lisantica
December 12th, 2013, 06:37 AM

I doubt you'll be disappointed: it's very attention-grabbing. I did experience some mild flow issues with it hence my preference for PR Shoreline Gold - might be worth trying a sample first.

I may have to try PR Shoreline Gold as well, but in the meanwhile I did order a bottle of Apache Sunset last night.

AndyT
December 12th, 2013, 08:20 AM
I may have to try PR Shoreline Gold as well, but in the meanwhile I did order a bottle of Apache Sunset last night.

It'll be fine like as not, and there really isn't all that much to choose between them colour wise. The Noodler's is just a bit finicky about flex nibs and doesn't do too well with dip pens, but it's not as if it's a notably troublesome ink. Some people report colour variations between batches of the PR - mine is full-on flaming orange, but maybe not quite as searing as Apache Sunset.

VertOlive
December 21st, 2013, 08:17 PM
I haven't found my go-to Blue/Black yet. Still in search of..

Favorite bright: J Herbin Rouge Hematite.

Favorite Not Black Blue: Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher !

kaisnowbird
December 22nd, 2013, 07:35 AM
Noodler's 54th Massachusetts seems really popular. I'm waiting for a sample to arrive shortly after the New Year.

lisantica
December 22nd, 2013, 10:22 AM
What I'm finding out being a newbie and trying different inks is that it's not necessarily what I like, it's what my pen likes.

shudaizi
December 26th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Didn't expect to like it, but MB's Midnight Blue (old IG formula) won me over quickly. After three fills in three different pens, this is my "go-to" ink ...at least until my three bottle supply runs out. Good flow, good color, dries quickly, minimal show-through.

Rarely use bright colors, but Noodler's Habanero is enjoyable (at least for me!) when I mark student papers.

benjitzu
December 26th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Fairly new to FP and inks, but here's my take from the inks I've tried so far...

Favorite blue/blacks:
- Noodler's 54th Massachusetts (my daily go-to ink - superb straight from bottle and has some awesome properties when diluted)
- Noodler's Bad Belted KingFisher - more blueish blue/black but excellent color
- Noodler's Aircorp's Blue/Black

Favorite BRIGHT colors:
- Noodler's Baystate Blue (yes I'm aware of all the issues - still freaking LOVE this color)
- Noodler's Apache Sunset
- Noodler's Fox Red (maybe not the brightest Red out there but it's BOMBPROOF and looks awesome)
- Iroshisuku's Kon-Peki (again, maybe not the brightest light blue but it's ridiculously amazing)

I realize I'm biased towards Noodler's inks, but I MUST have waterproof/archival quality- I get that severely limits my ink selections but I LOVE these inks...

Cake
December 26th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I don't have any true blue/blacks, but I like the richness of Pelikan E. Tanzanite and PR Midnight Blues. I have P-I Shin Kai but loathe the dusty blue color.
Fav brights: Diamine Cerise, Sailor Jentle Apricot, Noodlers Cactus Fruit Eel, and PR Blue Suede

inkstainedruth
December 26th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Lessee.
Blue-blacks:
Diamine Denim and Eclipse; Noodler's Manhattan Blue (okay, that's really more of a dark blue) and 54th MA; R&K Salix; Waterman Mysterious Blue; and the [currently elusive] Urkundentinte (an irongall ink made by FPN member Pharmacist, who dropped off the planet last spring due to family issues).
Bright colors (ooh, where to start -- there are so many):
De Atramentis Rose and Dante Alighieri/Ruby Red; Organics Studio Emily Dickinson; Noodler's Liberty's Elysium, Shah's Rose, Dragon Catfish Pink (highlighter), Georgia Peach (highlighter), Bay State Blue, North African Violet, Lightning Blue (highlighter), Dragon Catfish Green (highlighter) and Navajo Turquoise [maybe also BSiAR, although I don't really consider it -- or Iroshihzuku Yama-budo -- to be "bright"]; PR Rose Rage, Purple Mojo, Cosmic Cobalt and American Blue [still making up my mind about DCSS Blue -- great color but slow drying]; Sailor Jentle Sky High; Diamine Flower Collection Cornflower (okay, maybe that's a bit dark a color to be considered "bright" but is intensely vibrant); J Herbin Rouge Hematite [and maybe Eclat de Saphir -- still trying to make up my mind about that one as well]; and Pharmacist's Turkish Night (which is a yummy cyan goes teal green IG ink, if you haven't run across it anywhere).
This list will probably get added to as I try more inks, especially the rest of the Diamine Flower set. Note that there aren't really any true reds (haven't found one I liked yet) or greens (Noodler's Army Green isn't really what I call "bright" and anyway my bottle is the newer formulation (as opposed to the old formulation, which got brought back).
Greys and darker blues I have in store (but don't consider them "bright"; ditto for Noodler's Kung Te Cheng). I have not found a perfect-for-me brown yet, but otherwise those would get tossed in with the greys and dark blues.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

kaisnowbird
December 26th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Favorite blue/blacks:
- Noodler's 54th Massachusetts (my daily go-to ink - superb straight from bottle and has some awesome properties when diluted)

I'm waiting for my sample of the 54th Massachusetts to arrive. What are some of the 'awesome properties when diluted'?

JazzDoc
December 26th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Favorite mid-darker blue/blacks:
Pilot Blue/Black
J.Herbin Blue Nuit
Diamine Denim

Favorite brighter blues:
J.Herbin Éclat de Safir
Waterman Serenity (or Florida) Blue

In case you're still confused, these are the correct answers. :pound:

benjitzu
December 28th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Favorite blue/blacks:

I'm waiting for my sample of the 54th Massachusetts to arrive. What are some of the 'awesome properties when diluted'?

kaisnowbird - I've found dilution creates more shading, smoother flow, and brings out a bit more of the dark-blue color. I'm not to the point where I measure the dilution ratio each time to the tiniest of detail, rather I just add a bit of distilled water into converter before filling with ink and enjoy the spontaneous result...

jacksterp
December 28th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Favorite blue/blacks:

kaisnowbird - I've found dilution creates more shading, smoother flow, and brings out a bit more of the dark-blue color. I'm not to the point where I measure the dilution ratio each time to the tiniest of detail, rather I just add a bit of distilled water into converter before filling with ink and enjoy the spontaneous result...

Agree completely on 54th. For me, the dilution ration is 4:1 - ink to distilled water.