PDA

View Full Version : Duofolds repair and parts source

beljum
December 8th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Below is a photo of a pen that I would like to repair and start using (it was my Dad’s)….

It has “Parker Duofold Made in the USA” embossed in the body.

I watched a few videos of Duofold repairs on youtube, however, they have slightly different filler designs.

Is there a preferred vendor that sells parts for these?

I have a book on the way that I understand to be a good introduction to pens:
Fountain Pens and Pencils: The Golden Age of Writing Instruments George Fischler; Stuart Schneider

bel

DrChumley
December 8th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Hi Bel,

I'm hardly an expert, but I did just finish repairing a Duofold. I didn't notice it in the picture, but the bar to compress the sac still inside the pen?

If so, it may be that all you need to do is replace the ossified sac and clean everything thoroughly, and it will be fact to functional. In terms of the replacement sacs, I got my tools and supplies from http://fountainpensacs.com/. They were great, shipped stuff to me quickly, and everything thus far has worked out pretty well.

I didn't have to order a replacement pressure bar from them, but it appears that they have them if yours is missing.

Best of luck, and post some pictures when it's all done!

Matt

beljum
December 9th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the reply Matt. I am uncertain about the pressure bar. It appears that the Duofold had a few different styles of that mechanism. The section is a bit different from those that I’ve seen online too. This one has a tube of sorts inserted into it. Below is a pic of those components.

Thanks for the store recommendation. I think I’ll send the pics and let them select the correct parts.

You can bet that I’ll post a few completed pics. My guess is that Dad used the pen at Fenn College of Engineering after WWII (now Cleveland State University). He may have even had it in the Pacific Theater depending on how old the pen is. In any case, I’m sure the pen has not been used in 60 years or so.

Thanks again,
bel

Tony Rex
December 9th, 2013, 06:59 PM
That's a duovac, and as such, has a vacumatic filler. You might want to get a pro, because just to open the bugger you need a vac wrench ($30), then this http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/repair/vac_diaphragm.htm

Paul-H
December 10th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Hi

As this pen has a high sentimental value and you have no experience with Vacumativ Diaphragm replacement I would send it away to be fixed.

You are in America so there are quite a few options available to you for sending it away.

If you wanted to do it yourself as pointed out you will need a vac wrench of some sort and there a quite a few different designs to choose from with prices from as low as $7 to $75 plus a means of clearing out all the old sac, a new diaphragm and the knack of turning said diaphragm inside out for fitting. But you need to do a few others before risking this pen because of its sentimental value.

Paul

Ernst Bitterman
December 10th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I'm going to join the choir on this one-- a sentimental Vacumatic-filler is not one to undertake a first-repair attempt on. You can have a look at this page (http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=720)to get a sense of the process, where you will notice frequent and somewhat strident repetitions of the need for that all-important tool.

Jeph
December 10th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I'm going to join the choir on this one-- a sentimental Vacumatic-filler is not one to undertake a first-repair attempt on. You can have a look at this page (http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=720)to get a sense of the process, where you will notice frequent and somewhat strident repetitions of the need for that all-important tool.

Now pilling on, but this.

From my perspective, a pen with sentimental value is worth more than any limited edition ever will be and deserves a professional.

Later, if you wish, you can make the investment in time, tools and experience to learn how to restore them yourself.

beljum
December 10th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the great link Tony Rex! That clears up how the mechanism works.

A tip of the cap to all you folks that offer sound advice.

Thanks,
bel

Frank
December 11th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I would recommend Ron Z (Main Street Pens), and Danny Fudge (The Write Pen) for your Vac restoration. Both are very reputable! I have gone to Ron for my Vac repairs in the past!

Frank