PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc Boheme on the Bay, real or fake

Paul-H
December 11th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Hi all

I am in the market for a Boheme and have been looking on the bay that is evil, although I think I am going to get a new one as they are not much more than the used ones are getting but I did see this one, now obviously one thing I noticed was that in none of the photos was it shown with the nib retracted, which none of the many fakes can do but that might just be down to seller not showing it so no guarantee either way, but one thing I am sure I should be able to see and cannot is the hinge mechanism for the cartridge filler, should this be visible thus showing this as a fake or was it hidden on some models or not even there. All the genuine ones I have seen have it though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Montblanc-Boheme-Ruby-Incrust-Fountain-Pen-14k-Unused-NOS-/190827807461

So what do you reckon, real or fake.

Paul

mmahany
December 11th, 2013, 01:33 PM
I think you forgot to attach the link

Paul-H
December 11th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Oops

Added it to the original post.

Thanks

mmahany
December 11th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Well, he's sold a couple other Montblanc pens in the past, but obviously that doesn't mean this is legitimate.

I can't really see anything that suggests it's a replica, but the pictures aren't very clear in the right places.

The one thing that strikes me as unusual is the paper box in the last picture. I can't remember if Montblanc made a box that looked like that, but I've seen many fake/replica boxes that look just like that.

If it were me, I'd be passing, the price certainly isn't worth taking a chance on.

jar
December 11th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Nothing to show it as fake, boxes are fine. As mentioned above the price is no bargain.

Paul-H
December 11th, 2013, 02:26 PM
What about the hinge not showing on the filler cap, all the legitimate ones I have seen have the hinge quite visible but on this one there is no sign of the hinge, or did they make them without a visible hinge at some time.

Paul

mmahany
December 11th, 2013, 02:43 PM
What about the hinge not showing on the filler cap, all the legitimate ones I have seen have the hinge quite visible but on this one there is no sign of the hinge, or did they make them without a visible hinge at some time.

Paul

It's definitely not a retractable nib Boheme. You are aware that they made a fixed nib Boheme for a short period of time?

There are several versions of the gold/red trimmed bohemes. This is all from memory so feel free to correct my mistakes.

Rouge et Noir- retractable
Je t'aime- retractable (I believe) with a heart shaped stone
Larger boheme with red stone- fixed nib

There are also the marron bohemes but the stone is a great deal darker in color.

Paul-H
December 11th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for that, I didn't know they made a none retractable nib version and that the pen in the link must be one of those, I would have been sure it was fake if it turned up and didn't have the retractable nib.

Good job I am going to my local boutique tomorrow to pick up a new one, even if it is at full price as all the used ones are only selling for about £50 off the new price, I figured I might as well have a nice shiny new one with a full guarantee for only £50 more, now if the used ones hemeraged their value like the 146 & 149 did I would gladly buy a used one.

Talking of which, anyone know why the big Meisterstuck pens don't retain their value like the rest of the pens Montblanc make do, 146/9 pens regularly sell for around half their new price but everything else sells for almost their new price or often more (Good old EVilBay)

Paul

mmahany
December 11th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Talking of which, anyone know why the big Meisterstuck pens don't retain their value like the rest of the pens Montblanc make do, 146/9 pens regularly sell for around half their new price but everything else sells for almost their new price or often more (Good old EVilBay)

Paul
Market saturation. The Meisterstuck is the stereotypical “exciting event” gift. It’s the most iconic pen in the Montblanc line and arguably in the entire pen market.
Graduation….give 'em a Meisterstuck 164 ballpoint
Making partner at your law firm….give em a 149 fountain
Just got married…..Meisterstuck wedding set (and yes it exists)

Paul-H
December 11th, 2013, 11:39 PM
I see

Victims of their own success ;)

Paul

Rodger100
December 30th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Hi, Montblanc originally designed the Boheme with a retractable nib, however for a short period a fixed nib was also produced. To my knowledge, the fixed nib was only produced in two models, one in black and gold trim with a red / rouge gem stone, and a platinum version which I think carried a blue gem stone. Personally, I found the hinge on the retractable nib to be a little fragile and therefor I prefer the traditional fixed nib with a standard cartridge converter, but each to their own. As the fixed nib Boheme is rather rare, I had to pay a little more but all in all its a fantastical reliable pen.

I like mango pudding
December 30th, 2013, 11:41 AM
THat appears to be real. the nib engraving is solid and not light, like a laser etching. I have a non-retractable Boheme myself. 12.5cm is the large size, which was the non retractable version for a time being. There are three lengths of this pen iirc.

HermetiC
December 31st, 2013, 02:19 AM
Is not a fake. Is the medium sized model (the biggest one, as big as a 149, has a retractable nib also).