PDA

View Full Version : Parker 51 Eye Candy. The Happy Davey Way...

david i
December 11th, 2013, 10:33 PM
There is something to be said for power in numbers.

I collect 51's with at best modest intensity. But, I always have trouble turning down nice examples when they pop up.

I've been sorting pens since setting up the pen room in my new apartment. Hadn't even recalled I owned a bunch of the following.

This batch is raw/unrestored, but acceptable nonetheless. ;)

http://www.vacumania.com/penteech2/parker51_40pen_case1800sharp.jpg

regards

-david

Paul-H
December 11th, 2013, 11:37 PM
That's a nice collection you have there, those Pesky 51's can be quite addictive can't they. ;)

Paul

Jeph
December 12th, 2013, 12:14 AM
mania =finding FOURTY 51's that you forgot that you had!

welch
December 24th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Dr. David, what pen do you use at work? How do you choose?

david i
December 24th, 2013, 08:50 PM
For the last year I've used at work a Sheaffer Balance standard-white-dot (Statesman) Carmine celluloid with a smooth fine point, and I've used a Sheaffer-Lambrou CP4 Sterling Legacy with chiseled broad stub nib.

5000 pens lying around the apartment. 2 Users the last year. It is going to take some time to complete-- what is it the FP users tend to call it?-- the rotation ;)

regards

d

79spitfire
December 25th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Well, David, I can say that those are fine user pens, and at two pens rotated per year it appears you have about a 2500 year supply....

inkstainedruth
December 26th, 2013, 09:37 AM
:jaw:
That is a LOT of "I forgot I had..." you've got there. Wonder what would happen if I showed my husband the photo and said "See -- I *don't* have too many pens! I only have *four* 51s...." :rofl: Of course he'd probably have a coronary....
My stash is one 51 Vac (India Black?) and three Aerometrics: Midnight Blue, Plum and Black -- although the black one, gotten from Pendleton Brown at the Ohio Pen Show last month, might go to the hubby (aka "Mr BIC Fine Point") since it has an EF nib. Well, at least until he leaves it uncapped: the first time I'll make him flush it out himself; the second time I reclaim it as "this is why you don't have nice things!"
At the moment the Plum and Blue Aeros are in rotation, with Waterman Mysterious Blue in the Plum (which has been christened "Velma" -- just because) and Herbin Eclat de Saphir in the Blue (which is "Dixie", after the Barbara Stanwyck character in _Lady of Burlesque_, which is probably one of my favorite B-movies of all time). [Yes, many of my pens have monikers -- the ones that don't haven't given me a hint as to what their personality/behavior is yet....]
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

david i
December 26th, 2013, 09:47 AM
:jaw:
That is a LOT of "I forgot I had..." you've got there. Wonder what would happen if I showed my husband the photo and said "See -- I *don't* have too many pens! I only have *four* 51s...." Of course he'd probably have a coronary....

My stash is one 51 Vac (India Black?) and three Aerometrics: Midnight Blue, Plum and Black -- although the black one, gotten from Pendleton Brown at the Ohio Pen Show last month, might go to the hubby (aka "Mr BIC Fine Point") since it has an EF nib. Well, at least until he leaves it uncapped: the first time I'll make him flush it out himself; the second time I reclaim it as "this is why you don't have nice things!"

At the moment the Plum and Blue Aeros are in rotation, with Waterman Mysterious Blue in the Plum (which has been christened "Velma" -- just because) and Herbin Eclat de Saphir in the Blue (which is "Dixie", after the Barbara Stanwyck character in _Lady of Burlesque_, which is probably one of my favorite B-movies of all time). [Yes, many of my pens have monikers -- the ones that don't haven't given me a hint as to what their personality/behavior is yet....]

We're glad you posted. Before you wrote in, this thread truly was ruthless...

regards

-d

inkstainedruth
December 26th, 2013, 10:46 AM
We're glad you posted. Before you wrote in, this thread truly was ruthless...

regards

-d[/QUOTE]
Like I've *never* heard that joke before....

Announcer~ Los Angelis he walks again by night. out of the fog and into the smog (cough cough) Relentlessly, ruthlessly, (“I wonder where Ruth is”) doggedly (bark bark) toward his weekly meeting with the unknown. At 4th and Drucker he turns left, at Drucker and 4th he turns right, he crosses McArthur Park & walks into a great sandstone building! (oh my nose!) Groping for the door he steps inside (telephones starts ringing) climbs the 13 steps to his office. he walks in, he’s ready for mystery, he’s ready for excitement, he’s ready for anything he’s…

Nick Danger~ Nick Danger Third Eye!

Telephone Guy~ Hi um I’d like to order a pizza to go and no anchovies

ND~ No Anchovies? You got the wrong man I spell my name Danger! (Click)

TG~ What?

Scary what you can find on the Internet. Almost as scary as what you *can't* find (took me three years to find the lyrics of one of my favorite songs posted -- and that with routine searches; took me about 10 *seconds* to find this Firesign Theatre quote...).
Go figure.

edited for typos

Jeph
December 26th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Jealousy often manifests as ruthlessness. I apologize if that is the way that my post came across. It was intended to convey awe and appreciation.
Maybe I sould reword it like this:

Would it be possible to post a (or several) picture once a month with bits of your collection that shows some interesting varitaion or differences among models? Some things only really make sense when you can pile several pens togther that makes it easier for people with less experience to understand. That is the type of thing that is only possible with a collection that extensive.

david i
December 26th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Jealousy often manifests as ruthlessness. I apologize if that is the way that my post came across. It was intended to convey awe and appreciation.
Maybe I sould reword it like this:

Would it be possible to post a (or several) picture once a month with bits of your collection that shows some interesting varitaion or differences among models? Some things only really make sense when you can pile several pens togther that makes it easier for people with less experience to understand. That is the type of thing that is only possible with a collection that extensive.

Hi Jeph,

Unless I'm missing your deadpan, you are missing my deadpan ;)

I was responding to Ruth, not to you.

Everything you said was fine no doubt. And I-- known to snark on occasion-- certainly would not object to snark, even if it was snark.

I post some images here and of course have posted many at FPB. Happy to share. Hell, I've probably posted more pen pics online than anyone. I am overdue to cobble together some Pen Profiles for the Vacumania site.

best regards

david