PDA

View Full Version : GuiderZimbo ebonite clipless - not a proper review

diogenesNY
December 12th, 2013, 11:05 AM
This is not meant to be a real review, rather more of an over-excited first impression of an awaited prize. Photos and a real review to follow.

Okay, I just received my Guider clipless Zimbo (Jumbo) hand turned ebonite pen from fellow FP Geek Mesu. It is an amazing mottled brown. The original post can be seen here:
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/4888-Guider-Jumbo-clipless-ebonite-pens

I grabbed it from the mailbox on the way out the door, and only got a chance to unwrap it and examine the parts, etc while I was having coffee downtown.

Once home, I gave the pen a quick rinse, lubed the threads with the thinnest possible film of silicon grease, and then faced the brain wrenching dilemma of which should be this pen's inaugural ink.

Some indeterminate time later, after the haze had cleared, it appears that I chose Diamine Oxblood. This pen clearly calls for a warm colored ink. I have been trying it out and so far I love the feel of the action. Feels great in the hand. Fine nib, smooth, not scratchy, but still shows some tooth and flex. Minimal to no pressure required for a fairly subtle and controllable line.

Only issue I have so far is that it has tended to burp a few gobs of ink on the page. I have been led to believe that this is an occasional trait of a newly inked ebonite feed, and that a bit of 'break in' should obviate this problem, or failing that, a resetting of the nib should suffice. Any feedback on this issue would be much appreciated.

More details as they come in, but so far, I am loving this pen.

diogenesNY

cwent2
December 12th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Yes I have witnessed the same occurrence. Over time the feed will absorb more in into the feed and the "flow" slows down - if this makes sense. The flow is x and the feed is not absorbing the flow as it is now - you may also find that the feed runs out of ink quickly on a new ebonite feed pen based on the same principle.

This is the best I know how to explain it - and it should get better even overnight.

Hope this is useful

Cw

Mesu
December 15th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Only issue I have so far is that it has tended to burp a few gobs of ink on the page. I have been led to believe that this is an occasional trait of a newly inked ebonite feed, and that a bit of 'break in' should obviate this problem, or failing that, a resetting of the nib should suffice. Any feedback on this issue would be much appreciated.

Burping is a common problem with eyedroppers, especially the ones with huge ink capacity. Happens when the ink level is low and you use the pen to start writing as soon as you pick it up.

To avoid burping, please make sure that the barrel is atleast 1/2 full.

I tend to use ink in my eyedropper pens till the last few drops. To avoid burping, i hold the pen in nib up position in the palm of my hand for about half a minute before i start writing. This expels the extra air pressure in the barrel and the pen doesn't burp however low the ink level might get.

If the pen is burping ink mid-way while writing, then try heat setting. Will solve most of the ink gushing problems.