PDA

View Full Version : Conway Stewart Floating Lever Bar Madness

DrChumley
December 12th, 2013, 04:44 PM
So, the saga continues with my "new" CS 24...

I had to replace the ink sac, so I took the pen apart, replaced the ink sac, and "fixed" the floating lever bar. Or so I thought.

Since then, my process has been as follows:

Slide the floating bar onto the hooks on the lever.
Rattle the pen around a bit, making sure the bar is secure.
Curse when the bar falls off the lever and out of the pen onto the table.
Repeat steps 2-3 several times.
When the floating bar finally stays put, reassemble the pen and ink it.
Use the pen for a couple of days, until you notice that the floating bar has come loose from the lever and is rattling around the inside of the pen.
Invent several new and creative curse words.
Rinse, lather, repeat.

So, there doesn't seem to be anything broken with either the lever itself, or the bar, but I just can't seem to get the bar far-enough on to make it stay.

Anyone with experience repairing CS pens have any tips or ticks for getting that stinkin' bar to stay in place. I've come up with some great new curses, but I'd rather just use my pen. :)

Matt

Deb
December 13th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Hi Matt,
There are lugs cut out of the rail which stand proud. These may need to be pushed up from below. That will give greater resistance when you push the bar on, but it should stay in place. Floating bars, or slide bars as they are also known, are worth the extra effort as they're more efficient than a j-bar and stress components like the lever and, where fitted, the lever-box a lot less. You'll find them in some Watermans and Eversharps too.

DrChumley
December 13th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Hi Matt,
There are lugs cut out of the rail which stand proud. These may need to be pushed up from below. That will give greater resistance when you push the bar on, but it should stay in place. Floating bars, or slide bars as they are also known, are worth the extra effort as they're more efficient than a j-bar and stress components like the lever and, where fitted, the lever-box a lot less. You'll find them in some Watermans and Eversharps too.

Thanks, Deb. I was able to get the bar back on last night, so when it falls off again in the next day or two ( :) ), then I'll try to adjust the little cutout.

I do actually like the mechanism quite a bit in terms of actual functionality when it works. It's just a bit of a pain to put back together...especially when you don't really know what you're doing.