PDA

View Full Version : Unusual yellow Visconti Van Gogh

Neopen
December 13th, 2013, 03:11 PM
I own a Visconti Van Gogh fountain pen that I want to trade or sell. This is however not important for now.

The Visconti Van Gogh series consists of a range of multicolored resin fountain pens. The colors resemble the typical colors of Van Gogh paintings. My Visconti Van Gogh is however monotone yellow. And when I say yellow I actually mean YELLOW! The nib is 14k whitegold.

I can't seem to find any details on this pure yellow Van Gogh variety on the internet. Am I looking in the wrong places or is it a rare specimen.

Does anyone have more info?

kaisnowbird
December 13th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Knowing the size of these, that's one big yellow pen! :rolleyes: The shape of the nib is different from most of the older (or newer) Van Gogh that I've seen though.

Tracy Lee
December 13th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Google "Visconti Yellow Van Gogh Maxi." This is a Yellow Mandarin or something like that, from the original line of Van Gogh (infinitely better better pens than the new Impressionist line if you ask me, but you didn't so never mind). I don't think it is particularly rare. The term Maxi is key to finding the older line. They made a maxi and a midi.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

Neopen
December 13th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Knowing the size of these, that's one big yellow pen!

I know it's distracting. In a meeting people don't look me in the eye. Everyone keeps looking at my pen! That's why I only used it a couple of times. My Pelikan M405 doesn't get such attention... Too bad actually. The pen writes very well.

Neopen
December 13th, 2013, 07:00 PM
They made a maxi and a midi.

Thanks for the info.

I have small hands. The pen doesn't seem to be very big. Just very yellow :). I reckon I have the midi version.

kaisnowbird
December 13th, 2013, 10:45 PM
They made a maxi and a midi.

Thanks for the info.

I have small hands. The pen doesn't seem to be very big. Just very yellow :). I reckon I have the midi version.

I see, that's why the nib looks more like a size 4 than the usual size 6 Visconti nib. To be honest, I think I'll enjoy the Midi more. Have to look into those. ;)

Alice L
December 26th, 2013, 12:46 AM
That is a very nice pen, Neopen! Don't know how rare it is, but it certainly doesn't show up as frequently as the other colors. I have one (a Maxi) and I've seen one other (the one that prompted me to find one for myself). The nib on yours is the same 14K nib as is on several of my other Maxis. It is not the same as the nib on the one Mini in my collection. That makes me think you have a Maxi, too. It's a great pen to brighten up a gray or rainy day!

gideon
December 26th, 2013, 01:03 AM
It is a magnificent yellow pen. Yellow and red are colors that I like to collect. Congratulations.

cees achterberg
December 26th, 2013, 07:58 AM
It's a
"Van Gogh" Maxi Fountain Pen in Mandarin Yellow ... http://www.abclloyd.co.uk/index.php/products/pens/modern-pens/27-our-products/new-pens/201-visconti-van-gogh-maxi-fountain-pen

raging.dragon
December 28th, 2013, 08:38 PM
I thought the midis were only available with steel nibs?

jdivitto
December 29th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Nice pen! I had a blue marbled Van Gogh midi which is severely damaged. I sent it Visconti for repair and the returned the pen with a new solid blue body and cap. Very handsome pen and happy it's back in the stable, but definitely not "Van Gogh" inspired. I'm thinking it's because the pen is long out of production and they didn't have any normal replacement bodies and caps.

Toulouse
January 31st, 2014, 01:48 PM
Nice pen! I had a blue marbled Van Gogh midi which is severely damaged. I sent it Visconti for repair and the returned the pen with a new solid blue body and cap. Very handsome pen and happy it's back in the stable, but definitely not "Van Gogh" inspired. I'm thinking it's because the pen is long out of production and they didn't have any normal replacement bodies and caps.

Was the repair turn-around time reasonable? Sorry ... don't mean to get the thread off subject.

Chi Town
February 5th, 2014, 11:16 PM
I own a Visconti Van Gogh fountain pen that I want to trade or sell. This is however not important for now.

The Visconti Van Gogh series consists of a range of multicolored resin fountain pens. The colors resemble the typical colors of Van Gogh paintings. My Visconti Van Gogh is however monotone yellow. And when I say yellow I actually mean YELLOW! The nib is 14k whitegold.

I can't seem to find any details on this pure yellow Van Gogh variety on the internet. Am I looking in the wrong places or is it a rare specimen.

Does anyone have more info?

How much are you looking to get for this either in trade or in cash?

penstaking
April 6th, 2014, 01:47 AM
Neopen,

I have a first generation Visconti Van Gogh (1998). The clip is narrow and sans the name Visconti, the nib is a 6 (quite large,) the barrel is mottled translucent resin. (Sorry I cannot upload the nice pictures I took -- quite impossible here on fp geeks.) Anyway, for the second and third generation Van Goghs, Visconti made a slightly different pen. By then (early 2000's) the fat arched clip had become a kind of trademark; but I think they needed to use up some old solid-colour bars of resin for the pen itself.

I would never sell mine, so I can't say what it's worth in money...in beauty and usefulness, it ranks high.

penstaking
April 17th, 2014, 08:54 AM
108901089110892Here is a post of my first generation Visconti Van Gogh. Any reaction will be appreciated!

kaisnowbird
April 17th, 2014, 09:19 AM
108901089110892Here is a post of my first generation Visconti Van Gogh. Any reaction will be appreciated!

That's gorgeous! Which colour is this, and is it translucent?

Tracy Lee
April 18th, 2014, 05:38 PM

Really lovely and unique pen. These never disappoint, I love mine as well.

Llewellyn
April 18th, 2014, 05:48 PM
The turtle and sandal versions of these seem slightly translucent - how noticeable is this? As I've said in another thread here I'm not a fan of demonstrators or pens where you can see the ink and innards.

Is it really noticeable with these?

PS that is a gorgeous pen. I love my Musk and Vanilla although I would have liked a bit more colour variation, but that's the chance you take when you buy on the 'net.