PDA

View Full Version : Sustainable Earth by Staples 95% Sugarcane Loose Leaf and Notebook Review

heath
December 14th, 2013, 08:26 AM
For all the images with this full review click here: http://penpaperinkletter.com/sustainable-earth-staples-95-sugarcane-loose-leaf-notebook-review/ (http://penpaperinkletter.com/sustainable-earth-staples-95-sugarcane-loose-leaf-notebook-review/)

Sustainable Earth by Staples is a line of paper products available exclusively from Staples office supply megastore. The line stands out in a few was, primarily from the use of 95% sugarcane fibers in the production of the paper. I bought a case of the paper and got my hands on a notebook from the same line to review. I was impressed by what I had assumed would be a let down covered up by the eco tag. It turns out this is about as good as it gets when you look at some of the key factors I look for in “copy paper” and the notebook also has some surprising upsides.

The Loose Leaf (Copy Paper)

This paper is made from 95% Sugar Cane fibers and 5% mystery. It feels very similar to other copy papers of a similar weight that I have used and unfortunately has no sweet smell or flavor. If held at the right curvature the paper can be held horizontal with one hand and it is a bright but not glaring white color. It holds ink much better than I expected as most post-consumer grade papers I have tried fail miserably when used with even moderately wet gel pens not to mention fountain pens.

It is moderately affordable at $55US by the case but I actually was able to get my case on one of Staples daily deals for a steal at under $20 shipped.

There isn’t much else to be said here other than one minor gripe. The individual packages of paper inside the case are sealed in a thin paper cover. Each of these covers has been destroyed to some extent by simply removing them from the case. Most have had all the seams released and so you end up with an unsealed wrap but several actually tore without added friction simply from being removed from the case and the paper inside the covers shifting. In the end this has no effect on the paper but it has made dealing with the case a bit frustrating.

The Notebook

The Notebook is stout in construction with thick front and back covers and thick coiled metal binding. The notebook boasts slightly less sugar cane content at 80 percent than the 95 percent present in the loose leaf.

The only drawback to the notebook that I’ve found is minor and so I’ll get it out of the way up front, the coil binding is at a steep angle and so as you turn the pages the left page is always slightly higher than the right. It’s probably not anything to give notice to but it just looks off when I am using the notebook without completely turning the left half back behind the right. That being said, at under $5 I think this can be overlooked completely.

As for the rest of the notebook I actually really like that the first page isn’t actually a sheet of paper but a double sided pocket rather. I have put several scraps in it just during testing and it has proven quite valuable. Each page is also perforated which I like to have in all spiral bound books as it keeps things clean.

And finally to the paper. It looks and feels very similar to the loose leaf if only a tiny bit thinner or less firm. The ruled lines are a tan color to match the covers and there is no side vertical rule so you can use from the perforation to the edge unimpeded. Again, to my surprise it handles all my ink and pen combos quite well. I had obvious show through with fountain pens but no bleed through or feathering. The show though was similar with ball and gel pens so I would treat the book as a one sided page unless you are using a drier pen.

Conclusion

The Sustainable Earth line by Staples is worth keeping on your radar. I think the notebooks are well priced and with any luck you might find a sale on the copy paper to make it worthwhile as well. I’ve already given 3 of the ten packs to folks that I thought might like to try the somewhat unique paper and all have been pleased with it so far. I have not commercial copier available to me at this time so I am unable to test it in that regard but maybe someone that has can give words to that aspect in the comments.

-Heath
@WeThePPIL

PowerWriter
January 1st, 2014, 04:03 PM
I picked up a package of printer paper yesterday and have been very pleased with it. It is much less absorbent than regular 20lb printer paper. I tested it some, and my lines are much thinner and much more shaded than on 20lb paper. It is about the same as 32lb paper. I have two minor complaints. 1. It generates more feedback than I'd like. Writing feels gritty. I keep expecting skipping and scratching but experience none. It is just a texture thing, but it feels off. 2. I print my own lines, and this paper skips in the feed. Too often more than one sheet flows through. No jams in about 75 pages, but no consistency either. Still, at the moment it is my go-to paper for casual writing. At a third of the cost of Domtar 32lb, it is a worthy consideration for everyday paper. So far.